• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So, looks like Zen 3 Threadripper has been delayed again - I reckon they will launch with this stack design and that's the reason for the delay.

Soldato
Hopefully that's the case - wouldn't mind replacing my 3970X but bit annoying if its just basic Zen 3 after all this time while mainstream is getting 3D stack.

Caporegime
So, looks like Zen 3 Threadripper has been delayed again - I reckon they will launch with this stack design and that's the reason for the delay.

They are derived from Milan X, ultimately those are the reason 3D stacked chips, the flagship is EPYC 7773X.

How much cache do you think AMD will add to TR?

96MB per chiplet, so
8X 768MB.
4X 384MB.
2X 192MB.

Soldato
The release will be too close to Zen 4 IMO. May as well just go for that as long as DDR5 is certainly better than DDR4 by then.
Will certainly be more expensive though. A decent B550 + fast RAM are quite cheap atm, even if you spend a lot on the CPU (i.e. 5900X/5950X w/ V-C), but chances are even if CPU prices are close to Zen 3 V-C the mobos & DDR5 will be double or more.

Soldato
Will certainly be more expensive though. A decent B550 + fast RAM are quite cheap atm, even if you spend a lot on the CPU (i.e. 5900X/5950X w/ V-C), but chances are even if CPU prices are close to Zen 3 V-C the mobos & DDR5 will be double or more.

It will be interesting to see how Intel’s IGP performs with DDR5.

Back
Top Bottom