Is 'gl hf' not a thing anymore?

Caporegime
I've been playing Splitgate a lot recently thanks to the responses to this thread where I asked for some UT-type fun

Splitgate is delivering; it's a ton of fun but it's evidencing some similar responses in other games I'm also playing where the old 'GL HF' (or 'glhf' because you're trying to cram it in before the action starts!) gets ignored or sometimes ridiculed. (I had an Ozzie guy over chat say, "Uh, what is GILF dude? Is that your gran?" which is not bad for a retort to be fair)

I'm not a huge fan of voice comms unless we're doing something a bit more serious but I'm curious if this is just a NZ/AUS thing where people under a certain age don't know or don't care or don't bother with some of the stuff I used to and still do by rote.

What's the fresh takes?

Soldato
Depends on the game. In iracing, I often see it before the start and there seems a bit more respect for the other teams in the mil sims. Rarely COD/BF though, it's usually just complain that their team is crap.

Soldato
Used to use it in the enemy territory days. It's all "$$$$ you, i'll kill you and your family if you steal my loot" now.

Soldato
I'm still a fan of typing GLHF and GG in Call Of Duty MW and surprisingly I get it back sometimes

I know it's not cool to be nice online any more and everyone wants to be an edgy jackass especially in FPS games but old habits die hard. Only time I've ever typed a 'EZ' is when playing a private match with friends

Associate
:cry: yeah this seems to get used a lot. Even in games where its almost a draw, like 1 kill in it and you get these types who scream easy. I can imagine it riles a lot of people up.

It's pretty funny see it a lot in battlefield you check the scoreboard and more often than not the person saying it is on the winning side with a 4-12 score

Soldato
People tend to be too much of sweaty try hards these days, who if you outplay them they get nasty or throw the haccusations, I miss the old days of good competitive gameplay, where teams would actually work together, and not be insults galore from the loosing team at the end of a match.

Back
Top Bottom