Terminating cables for a ceiling mounted WAP

Associate
I'm in the process of running ethernet cable down from the loft to various rooms. In most places I'll be terminating them in keystones in wall sockets, and I have a punch down tool to do this. However, part of the plan is installing some ceiling (and maybe in-wall) mounted APs and these all expect an ethernet jack as input.

Is there a cunning way to terminate in a jack on the ceiling then use a short (bought) patch cable to connect the WAP? I can't see how I'd do this and still be able to fit the AP flush to the ceiling/wall.

Or do I have to bite the bullet and get a crimping tool? The cabling I have is solid core CAT6 if that makes a difference.

Soldato
Also be aware that if you do end up crimping your own cable, you'll need stranded not solid core. Solid core is for infrastructure cabling (i.e. in walls, room to room etc) that's punched down into keystones as you describe. To terminate to a jack/plug you need stranded, as solid core will often either cut straight through on crimiping, or become weak and unreliable over time.

Soldato
Also be aware that if you do end up crimping your own cable, you'll need stranded not solid core. Solid core is for infrastructure cabling (i.e. in walls, room to room etc) that's punched down into keystones as you describe. To terminate to a jack/plug you need stranded, as solid core will often either cut straight through on crimiping, or become weak and unreliable over time.

Source for such information please? We use something like 2000m of Connectix solid core per week, probably 25% or more of that is terminated in an RJ45 jack for an access point and we’re writing effectively lifetime guarantees on our Fluke certified installs. These are components that Connectix UK (Cable Monkey) sells as compatible. Indeed, their guarantee is only good on compatible parts. When you state ‘weak and unreliable over time’ what sort of timescale are we talking about? We also don’t see any evidence of ‘cut straight through on crimping’ as a cause of failed crimps. We do get failed crimps but it’s 100% user error with the tools.

So I found your post slightly concerning and I’d like to know a LOT more.

Soldato
Source for such information please? We use something like 2000m of Connectix solid core per week, probably 25% or more of that is terminated in an RJ45 jack for an access point and we’re writing effectively lifetime guarantees on our Fluke certified installs. These are components that Connectix UK (Cable Monkey) sells as compatible. Indeed, their guarantee is only good on compatible parts. When you state ‘weak and unreliable over time’ what sort of timescale are we talking about? We also don’t see any evidence of ‘cut straight through on crimping’ as a cause of failed crimps. We do get failed crimps but it’s 100% user error with the tools.

So I found your post slightly concerning and I’d like to know a LOT more.

Calm down, dear. As you know, an access point cable isn't going to be moved much if at all so it's much less of a concern. Generally speaking one wouldn't wish to make a solid core patch cable, for example, because solid core is more brittle when being moved. You know this. I've always been told if it's getting a jack on the end then use stranded, that doesn't mean it's a workplace standard. You're installing cabling professionally and likely using decent gear. Myself or random poster 382626 is likely using a five quid crimper from eBay or whatever. It's a lot easier to have issues when crimping down on solid cable, especially when you're an amateur using cheap equipment and learning as you go. I didn't say it was an ISO standard I just said if it's not going into infrastructure and keystones it might be best to get stranded cable. I have definitely experienced difficulty with brittle solid core when trying to attach a jack in the past. Remember, you're talking to hobbyists throwing things together at home, not a colleague at a datacentre.

Don
For ceiling mount access points (both at work and at home), I've always crimped straight onto solid core Cat 5e.

Never had a problem with bad crimps, and means you only need a tiny hole through the ceiling (rather than a larger one for an already made patch lead), and no unsightly junction boxes etc needed.

Soldato
I have heard about there being different plugs depending on whether you're using solid core cable or stranded core, but also there seems to be a lot of plugs that work with either (e.g. https://tuk.co.uk/tuk_live/product_pdf/69_Cat 6 Modular Plug (8P8C).pdf), so maybe it's an out-of-date piece of advice, like how you have to use crossover cables between switches.

That's quite possible, I've been doing this sh...tuff for 30 years. :p Always happy to be civilly corrected and learn something new.

Soldato
Calm down, dear. As you know, an access point cable isn't going to be moved much if at all so it's much less of a concern. Generally speaking one wouldn't wish to make a solid core patch cable, for example, because solid core is more brittle when being moved. You know this. I've always been told if it's getting a jack on the end then use stranded, that doesn't mean it's a workplace standard. You're installing cabling professionally and likely using decent gear. Myself or random poster 382626 is likely using a five quid crimper from eBay or whatever. It's a lot easier to have issues when crimping down on solid cable, especially when you're an amateur using cheap equipment and learning as you go. I didn't say it was an ISO standard I just said if it's not going into infrastructure and keystones it might be best to get stranded cable. I have definitely experienced difficulty with brittle solid core when trying to attach a jack in the past. Remember, you're talking to hobbyists throwing things together at home, not a colleague at a datacentre.

Im not ‘perturbed’. You’re a solid contributor and I took your post seriously. Probably didn’t need to take it quite as seriously obviously.

Caporegime
The reason to terminate onto outlets for me would be to avoid having to crimp plugs on at height, and the ease at which a short 150mm patch cable can be swapped out when the tab gets broken off

Soldato
Im not ‘perturbed’. You’re a solid contributor and I took your post seriously. Probably didn’t need to take it quite as seriously obviously.

Na mate, fair dos. I'll be honest, we've had four kids up puking from both ends for two days straight and now we're feeling like arse, too... After about four hours sleep in 48 I probably (definitely) took your post as more aggressive/narky than you intended it. Offence is taken not given, and all that. My bad, and also my sincere apologies. Stepping away from the keyboard for more coffee... :D

Soldato
Na mate, fair dos. I'll be honest, we've had four kids up puking from both ends for two days straight and now we're feeling like arse, too... After about four hours sleep in 48 I probably (definitely) took your post as more aggressive/narky than you intended it. Offence is taken not given, and all that. My bad, and also my sincere apologies. Stepping away from the keyboard for more coffee... :D

I’m really sorry to hear you and yours have been poorly. I took no offence, I was genuinely interested in your post because YOU posted it. Maybe I could have been a bit less blunt myself.

No apology required. Thanks for your input again.

Associate
OP
TBH - I'm going to terminate in a keystone jack and use a short patch cable - not because I think it's the "better" solution, but because it's one less tool I have to buy - a tool I'd be using 2-3 times at most (depending on the number of AP I go with), just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom