• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3060 or Ti for Flight Simulator 2020

Associate
Hi all,

Am building an ITX rig for my old man for Flight Simulator and I am working to a strict budget.

I've done the best I can with the other components, Ryzen 7 3700X, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 32GB RAM, 750W Corsair modular SFX PSU, 1TB WD M.2 NVMe SSD.

In terms of GPU, the budget will not stretch to anything higher than a 3060 Ti unfortunately, but it should be fine as he will only be playing in 1080p for now.

I don't know whether to go for the 3060 or the 3060 Ti.

Common sense says go for the Ti as benchmarks suggest it is a sizeable jump in performance over the standard 3060 (reviewers suggest the 3060 is quite underwhelming) for not too much more coin.

However, the 3060 has 12GB VRAM compared to the Ti's 8GB so I am concerned losing 4GB of VRAM will also have a notable impact on performance as from what I've seen, FS2020 chews VRAM.

Advice needed and greatly appreciated!

Soldato
I ran it perfectly with a 1080ti. I think that gave a very good experience. which one matches that. I know the ram is less that the 1080ti...but i dont thin kthat will be an issue.

Soldato
Had no issues with a 3070, many apps / games will just use excess VRAM as cache.

I'd take the Ti performance over the vanilla 3060 RAM, you'll won't be maxing out detail settings with either card.

Soldato
Common sense says go for the Ti as benchmarks suggest it is a sizeable jump in performance over the standard 3060 (reviewers suggest the 3060 is quite underwhelming) for not too much more coin.

However, the 3060 has 12GB VRAM compared to the Ti's 8GB so I am concerned losing 4GB of VRAM will also have a notable impact on performance as from what I've seen, FS2020 chews VRAM.

The 3060Ti is a good 20% faster than the 3060 in MSFS....in terms of actual performance, rather than theoretical obsessions with VRAM that seem to be fashionable these days.

Back
Top Bottom