Anyone non-panic buying?

Commissario
Ergh, it's these kind of people and these kinds of threads/social media posts that get the country doing stupid things.

Soldato
OP
In March 2020 in our office we'd just stocked up on biccies for the biscuit tin:

2 packs custard creams
2 packs Borbon creams
2 packs digestives

They sat in a drawer in unopened wrappers for 18 mths and when we returned to the office in September I tried one before throwing them away (the majority wanted them disposed of) and it tasted fine, as fresh as a new biscuit.

I also had a Tupperware tub of tea bags and made tea yesterday, which was fine. It tasted better if anything!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

In March 2020 in our office we'd just stocked up on biccies for the biscuit tin:

2 packs custard creams
2 packs Borbon creams
2 packs digestives

They sat in a drawer in unopened wrappers for 18 mths and when we returned to the office in September I tried one before throwing them away (the majority wanted them disposed of) and it tasted fine, as fresh as a new biscuit.

I also had a Tupperware tub of tea bags and made tea yesterday, which was fine. It tasted better if anything!

Tea bags basically have no expiry date if stored in a sealed container. Same with coffee.

Soldato
Some 15kg butane cylinders and some more stuff like below (gas cylinders, meths, hardwood) which is portable in case we need to bug out.
OK, here's a question...
To where do all the different flavours of prepper actually bug out?
I know you have your EDC bag and your Emergency bag and your Get Home Bag and your Bug Out Bag and all these other bags all full of junk and stuff... but where do you think you'll actually go, especially in the UK where you really can't hide anywhere for long... and where any stash or hideout you might build will have been vandalised by "urban youth", ****** in by the homeless, skunked by druggies and **** in by hippy squatters...

Man of Honour
Tea bags basically have no expiry date if stored in a sealed container. Same with coffee.

I’d never be so presumptuous as to call you misinformed, but on going through some foodstuffs checking expiry dates recently, I came across some coffee granules, (which my son who lives in Germany drinks when he visits), and it had a use by date of 2017 on the jar.
Christ knows why he drinks that carp, my German daughter-in-law grinds Jamaican Blue Mountain Beans, and we have Belgian Beyers Beans.

The Sun has run an article saying that toilet roll stocks are expected to go down.

Really?
I don’t even believe the date in The Sun, nor The Mail.

Soldato
Urgh theres already half empty shelves due to driver shortages we don't need panic buying on top

Just the one spare bedroom full or two?

Plus the garage.

I don't care about the food, at least it means i can have a **** without worrying about having to use 1 sheet of toilet paper.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OK, here's a question...
To where do all the different flavours of prepper actually bug out?
I know you have your EDC bag and your Emergency bag and your Get Home Bag and your Bug Out Bag and all these other bags all full of junk and stuff... but where do you think you'll actually go, especially in the UK where you really can't hide anywhere for long... and where any stash or hideout you might build will have been vandalised by "urban youth", ****** in by the homeless, skunked by druggies and **** in by hippy squatters...

Well, I'll try to answer.

In this area of the country we are quite fortunate that there are some quite remote areas I can get to. I have different grades - some I can walk to, some I can cycle to and some I can drive to. Obviously I can take more stuff in the car and I can take more stuff on the bike than walking. It really depends on the bug out situation as to what I'll bug out with. I even have combo bug out locations where I could drive the car, stash some gear and abandon the car and walk to somewhere even more remote. Timing would be very important - you don't want to be hitting the road the same time as everyone else if you are driving for example. Also, the locations vary between second homes, rigid shelters or just remote areas where you'd need to build your own shelter (take a tent, tarp etc). I do visit all these locations regularly so I know if one wont be suitable due to recent discovery etc, but that rarely happens - none of my bug out locations are areas where they will be "been vandalised by "urban youth", ****** in by the homeless, skunked by druggies and **** in by hippy squatters" as you have put it.

It also depends on what you are bugging out for. Is it to escape some temporary issues - i.e. localised civil disturbance or a short term specific threat to you or your family? Is it a medium term issue, i.e. an armed insurrection but one that will only be short lived and stability resumed shortly? Or is it a proper breakdown of society, i.e. war/invasion and essential infrastructure has been destroyed etc? That all influences on where you go (and how you get there) and what and how much you take (including whether you bug out as a family or on your own etc).

Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I’d never be so presumptuous as to call you misinformed, but on going through some foodstuffs checking expiry dates recently, I came across some coffee granules, (which my son who lives in Germany drinks when he visits), and it had a use by date of 2017 on the jar.
Christ knows why he drinks that carp, my German daughter-in-law grinds Jamaican Blue Mountain Beans, and we have Belgian Beyers Beans.

It may have a use by date, but that doesn't mean it's not ok after that date.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

what you stock pile and then go shopping as normal anyway, then just rotate your stock pile? seems kinda like hoarding

It's no different than using the most recent dated milk in your fridge first.

Soldato
in case we need to bug out.
20211008-161935.jpg

Have you actually tested your theory to see just how far you could get carrying it all ?

I'd imagine instead of carrying about a load of fuel, it would be a lot more convenient to just carry a decent axe, a sharpening stone and some flint & steel + maybe some tinder, axe is actually quite good because it means you have a weapon with which to defend yourself when the armed preppers come to take your stuff by force

Soldato
The mad dash to avoid climageddon and the utter lack of planning on how to get there has already made society substantially less resilient than it was 10 years ago. We're just beginning to see some of these strategic masterstrokes pay dividends. There has never been a time in my life when I think slowly stock piling some essentials has been more worthwhile. I'm not talking total society - last man on Earth - breakdown because we're all boned then. If we make it through the next 10 years with out several bouts of short term energy disruption I will be amazed. Having a secondary way to cook and some food that doesn't rely on just in time supply changes might be the difference between a mild inconvenience and genuine panic.

I'm even this last 18 months with lockdown has shown how delicate the balance of the modern world is with respect to availability of food. It won't be Covid next time but it could easily be a short term energy shortage.

Back
Top Bottom