Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
That's not the point, they are inciting panic-buying

but, as a means to an end, if it will damage Boris's(Pol Pot) cult ? or,
do they all now believe it is part of this masochistic post-brexit, self-flagellation, phoenix like rebirth.

Soldato
Hope no one bins this extra food. Does anyone remember seeing a photo of an overflowing bin with unopened tins of baked beans 18 months ago? The supermarket own brand beans only changed their label for their beans a few months previously and probably got 2 years from on the BB date.

Soldato
I normally buy UHT Milk and to reduce time wasted in shops I buy a case at a time which lasts ages. I note get dirty looks I assume because people think I am a panic buyer, when actually I am buying the large case to avoid them.

Soldato
The day fuel panic buying started I laughed at all people in huge queue for fuel.

Following next couple days I pulled in got fuel no wait. So me.

If society really does collapse there is gonna be far more than that to worry about....

Soldato
In a survival situation, sex is a waste of calories.

And if it's a critical situation, I wouldn't be taking my wife with me anyway.

Spend all that time and energy on stocking up gas cylinders in plastic boxes, buying second homes and multiple vehicles for made up scenarios but give up your wife if things get critical. You’re bonkers mate.

Soldato
Got a couple of UHT milk - cows and oat. If I run out of milk including the UHT, I can survive without milk. Got various cappuccino and latte sachets, can drink black coffee and got various fruit and peppermint teabags.

Plus I have porridge oats which can be made with water. Won’t be as creamy as made with milk.

Caporegime
I went shopping late last night only the pasta isle was looking half empty but they still had all types.

The North didn't seem as badly affected last time though, I guess not being so densely populated helps

Soldato
OP
So, the general consensus regarding food is that most people aren't stocking up any more than usual, which is understandable because it is unlikely there will actually be a general food shortage. I do get the impression that many people who've commented are convinced that it simply won't happen, and any preparation, even just a box of dry goods, is akin to being a doomsday prepper with a cellar full of weaponry and nbc kit. To me it's about risk and reward. If the poo does hit the fan, we have extra essential food, and if not, we can either eat the food or donate it to a food bank.

What about potential power cuts? To me it's a no brainer to have a box of candles in a cupboard somewhere. Most important, of course, is hot beverages. If we get a power cut in our all electric street, I'll be the one with a steaming cuppa thanks to extra gas bottles. In a post Brexit/covid apocalyptic world of power cuts in an all electric street, the man with camping gas is king!

Soldato
People say I’ll be fine as got GCH. Do they realise that the pumps use electricity to work?

People need to buy thick jumpers - at least a size larger than they normally buy so to accommodate layers.

The property that my ex and I rented had awful inefficient storage heaters, which we couldn’t change the time when the heat came out. Plus all but two windows were single glazed So woke up roasting and came back from work shivering. When our leccy bill came - it was £420 for the autumn quarter (2003) and we said sod this. Switched off the heaters. We went to Leeds market and got thick jumpers, fleece trousers, vests and slipper socks (ones with the grips). Bought 3 sets each so one on, one in the wash/drying and one in the drawers.

Had loads of cups of tea and coffee. The next bill came and it was half.

Soldato
People say I’ll be fine as got GCH. Do they realise that the pumps use electricity to work?

People need to buy thick jumpers - at least a size larger than they normally buy so to accommodate layers.

The property that my ex and I rented had awful inefficient storage heaters, which we couldn’t change the time when the heat came out. Plus all but two windows were single glazed So woke up roasting and came back from work shivering. When our leccy bill came - it was £420 for the autumn quarter (2003) and we said sod this. Switched off the heaters. We went to Leeds market and got thick jumpers, fleece trousers, vests and slipper socks (ones with the grips). Bought 3 sets each so one on, one in the wash/drying and one in the drawers.

Had loads of cups of tea and coffee. The next bill came and it was half.

This is the type of relationship advice I come here for!

Back
Top Bottom