• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Prices creeping back up again? (2021)

Soldato
I mean to say, not like they were cheap.

But I have been keeping my eye on prices, seems we have gone to non-existent/sell a child, up until about May, whereby you could get some at extortionate prices with stock alerts etc, this slowy, slowy improved into about August, where you could get AMD 6700 XT's for example £600/£650, but plenty of cards were in stock, granted still way over the odds.

Out of curiosity I have just looked again now and seems prices are up and stock is down?

£900 for a 3070......6700XT's creeping back up to £700.

Tell me I am wrong (please do!) but seems to be going in the wrong direction again? And if so, why?

Associate
1) Christmas present buying time is here
2) Over the coming 2 months lots of new AAA games are being released
3) Prices always rise in September/October before the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday "Sale" (When things go back to their normal price on the illusion of being discounted)
There are several things I want to buy at the minute and the price of all of them has gone up in the last 4 weeks

As for graphics cards there seems to be more stock available than ever at retailers in the last month but prices have still increased

Associate
Yep, because the prices will get back to normal and will be half the price they are now.

*runs after the flying pigs I've just seen in the sky

Maybe soon or it could be a long wait if the unscrupulous can hold pricing up for longer with all the hoarding of supplies which go`s for everything in general not just computer kit.

Associate
1) Christmas present buying time is here
2) Over the coming 2 months lots of new AAA games are being released
3) Prices always rise in September/October before the Black Friday/ Cyber Monday "Sale" (When things go back to their normal price on the illusion of being discounted)
There are several things I want to buy at the minute and the price of all of them has gone up in the last 4 weeks

As for graphics cards there seems to be more stock available than ever at retailers in the last month but prices have still increased

I would not be surprised if Gibbo is keeping back some stock for the November / Blackfriday sales madness.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Maybe soon or it could be a long wait if the unscrupulous can hold pricing up for longer with all the hoarding of supplies which go`s for everything in general not just computer kit.

Yeah the chips for example were being hoarded is right, shows most of the time people are not fed the entire story. Big outfits stockpiling pretending none to go about. This is where a blockchain would be useful! :)

Associate
I agree with the next gen and FE comments in a round about way. Upgrading from my 1080Ti to a second hand 3080FE at a reasonable price sometime late next year is about all I’m willing to entertain at this point. Otherwise if prices and availability remain as they are as part a the ‘new norm’, it’s probably time to leave PC gaming behind.

This is becoming a bit like owning a house now, hard to get on the ladder initially but once your on if house prices rise you're kind of ok as you can sell higher also, that being the case if you know that you usually upgrade your GPU regularly, or want to at least, then it might be worth jumping on even at the current prices as long term if they remain high then you can sell and buy at the elevated price and it won't sting the wallet as much.

Soldato
This is becoming a bit like owning a house now, hard to get on the ladder initially but once your on if house prices rise you're kind of ok as you can sell higher also, that being the case if you know that you usually upgrade your GPU regularly, or want to at least, then it might be worth jumping on even at the current prices as long term if they remain high then you can sell and buy at the elevated price and it won't sting the wallet as much.

I get what you are saying, but tech is different than real estate. A house that is well mantained will "function" more or less as well in 10 years as it does now. People are not becomeing exponentially more difficult to protect from the elements and make comfortable the way AAA titles continue to make rendering games more difficult year after year for GPU's.

Todays super-duper-all-powerful top-dog GPU will be meh in a few years.

Associate

Yes because every time someone needs a new appliance in their home they sell the house and buy a better one.

Yes because every time someone needs a new appliance in their home they sell the house and buy a better one.

I think it's pretty easy to grasp what I'm saying, yes GPU's are expensive right now, but if you do pay for that initial expense and get on the ladder, provided you sell at the right time you should be able to upgrade on each GPU generation cost effectively, buy high, sell high, if you traditionally like to upgrade regularly this is a viable option, albeit at a high entry cost.

Back
Top Bottom