Anyone non-panic buying?

Permabanned
People still haven't realised the Daily Mail, now Paul Dacre is no longer editor, is no longer a strongly right wing supportive newspaper...

There are many subtle (and not so subtle) anti Tory articles in it nowadays. But if people shun reading it they will remain entrenched in incorrect historic views. I reluctantly still read The Guardian and The Times and the Daily Mirror, it's always best to know what one's "enemies" latest propaganda is ;)

What prompted this latest guff?

Soldato
I think there is going to come a point we have to hold the media to account for this.

I believe they have continually played a large role in all of it. Look at the fuel "crisis".

They go out print these "crisis" stories and LOOK AT ALL THESE EMPTY SHELVES!!!!

When I worked at tesco 10 years ago we'd sometimes have empty shelves like that for day or two if deliveries were late. It didn't mean there was a "crisis" or a shortage.... It's the language they consistently use thats starting to annoy me. They are going to cause another wave of panic buying. I don't doubt there are empty shelves in some shops of course. But what i'm saying is i've not seen any in any of the shops i've been in so far. I live near a big city too.

There have been few things empty as usual that's about it.

Soldato
I think there is going to come a point we have to hold the media to account for this.

I believe they have continually played a large role in all of it. Look at the fuel "crisis".

They go out print these "crisis" stories and LOOK AT ALL THESE EMPTY SHELVES!!!!

When I worked at tesco 10 years ago we'd sometimes have empty shelves like that for day or two if deliveries were late. It didn't mean there was a "crisis" or a shortage.... It's the language they consistently use thats starting to annoy me. They are going to cause another wave of panic buying. I don't doubt there are empty shelves in some shops of course. But what i'm saying is i've not seen any in any of the shops i've been in so far. I live near a big city too.

There have been few things empty as usual that's about it.
Spot on there!

Soldato
That's the problem when you have a society which makes it too easy for layabouts and work dodgers to thrive. I had a chat with a woman once who said she had been offered more work was like an extra few hours per week at supermarket and was wondering how it would effect her tax credits. I explained to her the system is designed that for every £1 she earns she gets something like 5p-20p taken away from her credits I think it is. So she would be 80p better off for every extra £1 she earned. She didn't seem too impressed so I extrapolated her figures over a year and done some complicated calculations involving income tax, etc and found out she would have an extra £1600 per year in her pocket. Her response: But that means I need to work for that money. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Then she wonders why she is poor. If they had to work hard for the money they would realise it's not free play money to be ****** away on ciggies.

Stay classy Britain.
Yet these people never bring bags with them when shopping? Why is this? Obviously got more money than sense.

Caporegime
Not seen any empty shelves other than the stuff that's always been missing like soda water.

I don't understand panic buying anyway 90% of what we eat is fresh. You cannot just freeze everything to hoard for months.

Also the last thing I want to do is have to buy a chest freezer to take up space purely for this pointless exercise.

I have found our local supermarket albeit making the most money it ever has is employing less and less checkout staff. There was one till open and about 20 empty last visit. They are pushing scan and shop and self serve checkouts.

I don't like the direction it's headed in. If I wanted non existent service I'd shop in Aldi. These supermarkets profits have doubled during the pandemic. It's shocking to see this kind of cost cutting exercise with no savings passed on.

Soldato
Not seen any empty shelves other than the stuff that's always been missing like soda water.

I don't understand panic buying anyway 90% of what we eat is fresh. You cannot just freeze everything to hoard for months.

Also the last thing I want to do is have to buy a chest freezer to take up space purely for this pointless exercise.

I have found our local supermarket albeit making the most money it ever has is employing less and less checkout staff. There was one till open and about 20 empty last visit. They are pushing scan and shop and self serve checkouts.

I don't like the direction it's headed in. If I wanted non existent service I'd shop in Aldi. These supermarkets profits have doubled during the pandemic. It's shocking to see this kind of cost cutting exercise with no savings passed on.
My work wants more customers going through self scan. My work is used by elderly customers who don’t understand technology. All these ideas are planned by head office staff who have never been in my store and see the typical customers that shop here.

Plus when colleagues leave, they don’t get replaced fully. Between last month and end Jan, four colleagues left or are leaving. They do 60-70 hours a week. Getting two staff in doing 30-36 hours.

Soldato

All the extra energy these freezers are going to consume and the national grid is already warning of potential power cuts this winter!

I guess all these people will have to get diesel generators incase of that, but hang on what if theres a fuel shortage...

My work wants more customers going through self scan. My work is used by elderly customers who don’t understand technology. All these ideas are planned by head office staff who have never been in my store and see the typical customers that shop here.

Plus when colleagues leave, they don’t get replaced fully. Between last month and end Jan, four colleagues left or are leaving. They do 60-70 hours a week. Getting two staff in doing 30-36 hours.

The big problem with self scan is they're only designed for baskets not for trolleys and when I shop in the evening none of the staff want to man the checkout ailses so you end up piling it on the self scan until I can't get anymore on pay for that bag it up place it on the floor then deal with the other half of the trolley. Drives me nuts.

Soldato

Slight aside here, but supermarkets are probably behind the banks on this. For years there has been a relentless drive by already profitable banks to close branches and get customers to do things for themselves, mostly online. There used to be eight banks and building societies along my local high street and now there is just one. Not much consideration for old folk that don't want to adapt to new technology and prefer to use cash and cheques and pay bills in person.

Soldato
Not panic buying at all, buying less in fact. Saw someone in Aldi the other day with no less than 8 loaves of bread. Either they're panic buying or really love a good sarnie.

Back
Top Bottom