• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much are you ready to pay

Soldato
Im not too worried since i must be one of the few who can game at 720p / 1080p and enjoy it about the same.

4K doesnt impress me that much, the core of a game remains the same and that counts for more.

I had a 3070 Ti and traded it for a Laptop and am using a 980 Ti which is suprisingly good still

Caporegime
Depends what I need - if I need an actual high end card I'll pay whatever as long as it is an actual high end card.
That about sums it up for me. As long as I keep wanting the fastest card available, I'll keep paying whatever it costs regardless of price.

At some point though, I'll stop caring about having the fastest and the maximum I'm willing to pay will reduce, significantly.

I'm not there yet, though.

Associate
More than I really wanted to. I got an Aorus 3080Ti this week for £1400 which is higher than my previous highest of £550 by quite a bit. I don't think prices are coming down any time soon and there are quite a few games coming out I want to enjoy so I thought I'd just get on with it. I was going to get a 3080 but the prices are only slightly less than a 3080Ti so I just went the whole hog. I don't really regret it as it's just money at the end of the day but the prices are a total joke at the moment.

Associate
Definitely only rrp since it’s not been that difficult to get a fe card from the competitor. The last few drops it’s hanged around for a long time so why pay more for an aib scalped price when the fe is not that hard to get. Other fe cards got in minutes if even that long so I can understand paying more to get a aib but the 3080ti and 3090 definitely just get a fe for rrp.

Soldato
Definitely only rrp since it’s not been that difficult to get a fe card from the competitor. The last few drops it’s hanged around for a long time so why pay more for an aib scalped price when the fe is not that hard to get. Other fe cards got in minutes if even that long so I can understand paying more to get a aib but the 3080ti and 3090 definitely just get a fe for rrp.

Then add more costs to replace the thermal pads and paste to the FE models and hope you don't end up with a screamer too with the coil whine or fan rattle issues too. Rather pay a little more for a AIB card than deal with that headache again with this generation of FE cards.

Associate
Then add more costs to replace the thermal pads and paste to the FE models and hope you don't end up with a screamer too with the coil whine or fan rattle issues too. Rather pay a little more for a AIB card than deal with that headache again with this generation of FE cards.

Yes the fe do tend to run hotter and with that the fans are louder. Coil whine I’ve experienced on every 3000 card I’ve owned so don’t think that’s limited to the fe cards. If you can get a aib for a bit more then sure it’s worth it but probably not the £200+ you are currently looking at.

Soldato
It all depends on whats important to you whether you spend it on your hobby or a holiday or a car or... a graphics card. Looking at the Motors section I wouldn't be surprised if people spend more on air freshener for them than what people state they're prepared to pay for a gfx card.

Soldato
Buy one every 2 years at £500 rather then one for £1000.

Sensible. It might be possible to do this every year if you can buy a reference model, but it just depends on the price you can sell your current GPU for.

Would be cool if Nvidia offered a yearly graphics card upgrade program.

CEX won't buy my RTX 3070 FE for >£600 anymore. Gonna be more expensive to upgrade, if I want more GPU power next year.

The massive disparity between their buying and selling prices, is kind of an indicator of the state of the market as whole.

It does seem like the RTX 3000 series will be obsolete by the end of 2022, especially if both AMD and Nvidia are producing 5nm beefed up versions of Ampere and RDNA 3 cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd rather buy two consoles or a really nice TV. Thinking about it, you could now by a cheap runabout car for less than a GPU, and it would very likely last you longer.

Soldato
My current car cost less than a 3090 on OCUK. Runs like a champ and no issues in over 15 months now since I got it.

Ditto paid less than 3080ti, 2 1/2 years of trouble free cheap motoring and still powering on. Get a decent old car and they'll run forever these days. Just hit 111,000 I will run it until it dies, and just buy another one.

Associate
I have a rule that I won't pay more than £300 for a graphics card, beyond that point the return of performance from investment takes a huge hit. I'd much rather spend less money and upgrade sooner.

Feel like I'm screwed at the moment though, an upgrade from my 1060 feels long overdue at this point and a 3060 feels completely out of reach.

Back
Top Bottom