• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
have you checked for any damaged/bent pins in the socket as that might explain why different mounting pressure is effecting things.?

Westmere Xeons will only support ram at 1066/1333 so setting ram to XMP @ 1600 would cause a boot fail, now you can run ram faster than 1333 but you have to do it by changing the BCLK IE 160Bclk + ram multi x10 or 200x8.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, checked the socket - no bent pins, debris, paste or anything I could spot. On BIOS version 1803 which is the latest for that board, considering flashing it back to the version prior to that (0701) as that was the version that added support for the Xeons - long shot but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

Edit: hmm, I did set RAM to 1600 through DOCP but I cant for the life of me remember if that was before or after I'd swapped chips around. Will give that a shot in the morning, though oddly I've noticed when the boot hangs on the X5650, memok does absolutely nothing whereas if it hangs on the 950, it'll reboot and usually reset the settings.

Thanks for pointing that out, will check it in the morning!

Last edited:
Associate
This mornings update: somehow at the point where it posts/boots fine with the i7 950, but the x5650 does not - very strange considering I had the x5650 running fine prior to this. Cleared the CMOS, everything is default so no DOCP enabled.

Board is on latest bios, but as per @mushtafa suggestion I found some patched X58 bioses that patch Spectre/Meltdown along with TRIM support for raid0 and extended cpu compatibility table. https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...tre-patched-bios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/

Preparing the USB now, will see how it goes. Cheers for the advice fellas.

Worst comes to worst I can test the x5650 in my main rig, and use one of the x5675s from the main rig on the Asus board to rule out a flaky cpu, though I'd rather that be a last resort as pulling my main apart is a bit of a pain ha. Cheers again.

Update 2: flashed the patched X58 bios, board posts first try with the X5650. Gonna properly mount the Noctua and hope it still works.

Update 3: Mounted Noctua, board posted! Still a bit skeptical so gonna leave it off for a bit/hit it with some reboots etc just to be sure, but it's looking like everythings sound.

Update 4: Guess I was right to be skeptical, back to no boot and the DRAM LED back on. damn it.

Update 53453463: multiple reseats and CMOS clears later, everything seems to be fine? in the process I've somehow managed to kill the SSD that was in the machine, no idea how I've managed that one (was an old OCZ 60GB thing so not much of a loss) :D

Last edited:
Associate
Did you manage to get it working ok? I have a ASUS P6X58D-E lying around with the EK vrm and chipset copper waterblocks on it that is pretty rare so I don't want to just throw it away...

Associate
Hey fellas,

I hope you’re all good. Bloody hell, it’s been a long time. I couldn’t even remember my old username.

Have any of you guys with a Westmere chip in your 1366 motherboard used any software that utilises the AES-NI instruction set and confirmed it as working? Deathloop by Arkane is dependant on it. I’ve searched the thread but there’s no confirmed use-case, it does show in another users CPUID but I don’t think that means it’s working.

My i7 920 (D0) @ 4ghz has been going strong for like 12 years but finally hit a wall in Deathloop the other day with a CLMUL (Carry-Less Multiplication) error, which is part of the AES-NI instruction set and is not supported on Nehalem. However it is on Westmere.

Others with the same issue on modern systems just had to enable it in their bios. As Westmere isn’t officially supported on my Asus P6T Deluxe V1, and there won’t be a BIOS setting for it, I was hoping to confirm whether AES-NI/CLMUL has been functional or not for any of you guys before I make a move.

Hoping to stave off a full system upgrade for a few more years if possible.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey fellas,

I hope you’re all good. Bloody hell, it’s been a long time. I couldn’t even remember my old username.

Have any of you guys with a Westmere chip in your 1366 motherboard used any software that utilises the AES-NI instruction set and confirmed it as working? Deathloop by Arkane is dependant on it. I’ve searched the thread but there’s no confirmed use-case, it does show in another users CPUID but I don’t think that means it’s working.

My i7 920 (D0) @ 4ghz has been going strong for like 12 years but finally hit a wall in Deathloop the other day with a CLMUL (Carry-Less Multiplication) error, which is part of the AES-NI instruction set and is not supported on Nehalem. However it is on Westmere.

Others with the same issue on modern systems just had to enable it in their bios. As Westmere isn’t officially supported on my Asus P6T Deluxe V1, and there won’t be a BIOS setting for it, I was hoping to confirm whether AES-NI/CLMUL has been functional or not for any of you guys before I make a move.

Hoping to stave off a full system upgrade for a few more years if possible.

Cheers!

Intel's own ARK link also states this is the case under Security & Reliability:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0-12m-cache-2-66-ghz-6-40-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

Soldato
If your running a quad core then makes sense getting a X5650 regardless of instructions as your gaining 50% more cores for less than a tenner.

Associate
Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify. Deathloop will not run without AES-NI/CLMUL.

I’m aware Westmere supports it, the issue is whether the feature is actually recognised by software and has been confirmed as working when installed in motherboards without official support like the P6T Deluxe V1?

Soldato
Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify. Deathloop will not run without AES-NI/CLMUL.

I’m aware Westmere supports it, the issue is whether the feature is actually recognised by software and has been confirmed as working when installed in motherboards without official support like the P6T Deluxe V1?
I'd imagine the instructions will be recognised as those instructions are present on Gulftown chips like the i7 980 and official bios support exists for those while westmere is pretty much the same chip.

10 year old games sure :) X58 great for retro stuff.

IPC simply too low for a RTX 3000 series or RX6000 series from AMD. New consoles also far more powerful if your not interested in PC exclusives.

I doubt people running those are using RDNA2 or RTX3000 cards and nether do you need one to enjoy PC gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd imagine the instructions will be recognised as those instructions are present on Gulftown chips like the i7 980 and official bios support exists for those while westmere is pretty much the same chip.
Ah, thank you! I didn’t know Gulftown = Westmere.

Mixing 10+ year old memory with new info, and microarchitecture names with codenames, I’d missed that.

10 year old games sure :) X58 great for retro stuff.

IPC simply too low for a RTX 3000 series or RX6000 series from AMD. New consoles also far more powerful if your not interested in PC exclusives.
Until game developers start making games exclusively for the new consoles, and really making use of their 8x fast Zen 2 cores, then all we have to contend with are 8x slow Jaguer cores as the baseline. With the right GPU 60fps is easy peasy.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are forgetting about Windows, API, graphics driver overheads, bus overheads. And Nvidia RTX hardware overhead.

The consoles can do more with lesser hardware.

Associate
You are forgetting about Windows, API, graphics driver overheads, bus overheads. And Nvidia RTX hardware overhead.

The consoles can do more with lesser hardware.
I’m not, it’s just that the Jaguer cores are so weak it doesn’t matter. IIRC the IPC is like half the Nehalem, and they’re only clocked around 1.6ghz depending on SKU. Plus, my understanding is, the more cores you add the less efficient it becomes. Beside that I’ve run most things, including Fallout 4, at 60fps unless my GPU couldn’t quite keep up (EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB). The only time I had any real issue was due to lack of VRAM.

When it comes to the new consoles we’re all boned though. A few years ago I very roughly estimated based on some big CPU benchmark article that we’d need to overclock a 6 core Westmere to something ludicrous like 8ghz just to match 8x 3.6ghz Zen 2 cores. In addition to that PCIE will bottleneck us with the SSD, unless someone makes a PCIE 4.0 4x to 2.0 16x converter (not a socket adapter), and possibly the CPU - GPU bandwidth.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m not, it’s just that the Jaguer cores are so weak it doesn’t matter. IIRC the IPC is like half the Nehalem, and they’re only clocked around 1.6ghz depending on SKU. Plus, my understanding is, the more cores you add the less efficient it becomes.

There is a point when you saturate internal bus transfers and take penalty hits. But CPU’s can scale really well.

IIRC John Carmack said if you take the Xbox performance in TFlops you have to times it by 6 to get the equivalent PC performance.

Back
Top Bottom