• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Associate
exactly the point I made......
well actually the point I made was that the 3080 was not the flagship and that it's irrelevant.
I never once heard anyone moan about the performance of the 2080 or 1080 over the years.
It may be the flagship but the 3080 is still the most popular well rounded gpu. The vram requirements of this game are quite clearly gunning for the 3080. Just like how Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs Legion were aimed at targeting AMD for their lacklustre RT, AMD now has RE Village and FC6 with absurdly high vram requirements and minimal to no ray tracing to target nvidia. TBH both of these feel like anti consumer practices and something Apple has been doing for a long time.

Associate
Doesn’t add up as I’ve not experienced any stuttering at all on my 3090FE, and that’s using the HD textures.
Probably because of the much higher VRAM and the faster GDDR6X memory which is brute forcing its way through the problem. The way I see it, the 3080 vram is inadequate, the 3080 Ti just barely manages to handle it with some low res textures and stuttering while the 3090 is good with double the vram and the same gddr6x memory.

Associate
It may be the flagship but the 3080 is still the most popular well rounded gpu. The vram requirements of this game are quite clearly gunning for the 3080. Just like how Cyberpunk 2077 and Watch Dogs Legion were aimed at targeting AMD for their lacklustre RT, AMD now has RE Village and FC6 with absurdly high vram requirements and minimal to no ray tracing to target nvidia. TBH both of these feel like anti consumer practices and something Apple has been doing for a long time.
AMD don't make video games.

the vram requirements are for an optional HD texture pack. HD texture packs have been included in most ubisoft games for that last number of years. Even minecraft has some

I'm also not sure how you decided that giving people the option to download higher quality textures for a game is an anti-consumer practice.

Caporegime

the vram requirements are for an optional HD texture pack. HD texture packs have been included in most ubisoft games for that last number of years. Even minecraft has some

I'm also not sure how you decided that giving people the option to download higher quality textures for a game is an anti-consumer practice.

Well neither do nvidia.... Works both way that argument.

I got no problem if this texture pack was truly worthy of the vram but that is the problem.... it's not. Just fire up far cry new dawn to see that with your own eyes. But as mentioned many times, still early days and a couple of patches are due so who knows how things will end up looking then....

I rather have the options/choice there than not to have it.

Imagine how good FC 6 would have looked with metro/cyberpunk levels of ray tracing but alas we weren't given the choice.

Also, the vram "recommended" requirements were high for RE but as per footage, it wasn't actually "required" in the end, nvidia, 8-10GB gpus didn't have any problems with performance or textures, in fact they performed great compared to amd when RT was enabled.

Soldato
I don't think anyone who paid around £650 for a 3080 will be losing any sleep over the fact that you need to turn down a couple of settings in one game.

Seems like the only people jumping on it are those who spent 2-3X as much on higher end models and are trying to justify their expensive purchases.

Associate
Got about 3hrs into this game so far. Playing at 3840x1600, everything to Ultra and DXR on.
Benchmark gave 81~ fps average. Haven't had a single crash, or issue yet. Fingers crossed...
Get the odd frame dip... most noticeable oddly by the change in coil-whine pitch :cry:

It looks pretty good to me, but not CP2077 by any stretch. Story has not grabbed me so far, but the gun play seems fine. Cant quiet work out what bases can and cant be freed on the first 2 islands.... seems enemies just spawn back :/

So far.... glad I didnt pay for it.

Associate

Of course they don’t make video games. I am saying they probably paid the publisher certain “marketing expenses” to restrict the RT quality and jank up texture quality to suit their architecture. This is the same publisher who released Watch Dogs Legion which has some of the highest resolution RT reflections on the market and FC6 has the lowest resolution reflections I have ever seen. It’s similar to BFV which is years old at this point. It’s quite clear the publisher has been influenced.

The texture pack for Watch Dogs Legion and the other Ubisoft games were requiring lower vram as they were either sponsored by NVIDIA or had no sponsors at all but all GPUs could use them. The HD pack in FC6 is basically locked to the AMD flagships and the RTX 3090 (which is not a gaming GPU).

Associate
Its crazy the amount of people complaining over RTX. I had a 3080 for 7 months and used RTX once, just to see the difference in Cyberpunk. The moment I saw my FPS take a huge dip, it automatically went off and never used it again. Its a small difference for such a big hit, unless you consider 60FPS "playable". It might be viable when you can stay at 120/144fps with RTX on, which is not in this generation of GPUs.

Associate
Well neither do nvidia.... Works both way that argument.

I got no problem if this texture pack was truly worthy of the vram but that is the problem.... it's not. Just fire up far cry new dawn to see that with your own eyes. But as mentioned many times, still early days and a couple of patches are due so who knows how things will end up looking then....

I rather have the options/choice there than not to have it.

Imagine how good FC 6 would have looked with metro/cyberpunk levels of ray tracing but alas we weren't given the choice.

Also, the vram "recommended" requirements were high for RE but as per footage, it wasn't actually "required" in the end, nvidia, 8-10GB gpus didn't have any problems with performance or textures, in fact they performed great compared to amd when RT was enabled.
I agree. This game is begging for RTAO, RTGI and high quality RT Shadows and reflections which would have looked stunning and probably ranked up there with CP2077. What we got is half assed RT and higher res textures which are locked to 2-3 GPUs on the market at 4K.

Associate
Its crazy the amount of people complaining over RTX. I had a 3080 for 7 months and used RTX once, just to see the difference in Cyberpunk. The moment I saw my FPS take a huge dip, it automatically went off and never used it again. Its a small difference for such a big hit, unless you consider 60FPS "playable". It might be viable when you can stay at 120/144fps with RTX on, which is not in this generation of GPUs.
It’s the exact opposite for me. It looked night and day different for me with Reflections and lighting so much so I tolerate the 50-60 fps at 4K as the game just looks bland once I have seen what they can do. Personally, I only need 120 fps for multiplayer games. For single player games, I prefer fidelity over performance and 50-60 fps is perfectly playable for me with GSync.

Associate
I don't think anyone who paid around £650 for a 3080 will be losing any sleep over the fact that you need to turn down a couple of settings in one game.

Seems like the only people jumping on it are those who spent 2-3X as much on higher end models and are trying to justify their expensive purchases.
It’s also not usable on the RTX 3080 Ti. It’s only usable on the AMD flagships and the absurdly priced RTX 3090.

Back
Top Bottom