• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
Of course they don’t make video games. I am saying they probably paid the publisher certain “marketing expenses” to restrict the RT quality and jank up texture quality to suit their architecture. This is the same publisher who released Watch Dogs Legion which has some of the highest resolution RT reflections on the market and FC6 has the lowest resolution reflections I have ever seen. It’s similar to BFV which is years old at this point. It’s quite clear the publisher has been influenced.

The texture pack for Watch Dogs Legion and the other Ubisoft games were requiring lower vram as they were either sponsored by NVIDIA or had no sponsors at all but all GPUs could use them. The HD pack in FC6 is basically locked to the AMD flagships and the RTX 3090 (which is not a gaming GPU).
It's not good, but I suppose Nvidia and AMD are trying to get a leg up on each other through fair means or foul. Ubisoft have been involved in similar controversy in the past: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-to-be-removed-from-assassins-creed.17874014/

Caporegime
Hope the price crashes soon as playing FCND has made me want FC 6 even more now! Actually forgot how good the game looks tbf.

blsEfwv.jpg

LN5Ocxx.jpg

4oIKls1.jpg

I don't think anyone who paid around £650 for a 3080 will be losing any sleep over the fact that you need to turn down a couple of settings in one game.

Seems like the only people jumping on it are those who spent 2-3X as much on higher end models and are trying to justify their expensive purchases.

Nah, I've thrown my £650 3080 (well actually £320 after I sold vega 56, 290 and cod on) in the bin, just not cutting it now! :p

Its crazy the amount of people complaining over RTX. I had a 3080 for 7 months and used RTX once, just to see the difference in Cyberpunk. The moment I saw my FPS take a huge dip, it automatically went off and never used it again. Its a small difference for such a big hit, unless you consider 60FPS "playable". It might be viable when you can stay at 120/144fps with RTX on, which is not in this generation of GPUs.

Defo seems to be very subjective RTX in general. Personally I love it, best show case for RT reflections is cyberpunk and control and the best show case for RT lighting, shadows is metro and also control is good here too. For me, it is far more noticeable and beneficial than higher res. textures, although it largely depends on the kind of game too i.e. look at valheim, low res polygon like textures yet it looks stunning because of the lighting and volumetric fog etc.

The ascent is another one that looks gorgeous.

Digital foundry used a 3080 for testing, derp

They used a 3090 too and where they talked about the stuttering issue, they had this at the top of the screen:

uX2QosM.png

EDIT:

Just wondering another possible contributor alongside vram for stutter/texture issues is the drive where game is installed i.e. maybe nvme would be better compared to sata? Wouldn't be the first time a drive has caused issues like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah ok my bad.

I haven't had any stuttering though, but I've only played the first 30 minutes because I've had 3 crash to desktops

Soldato
Snip...

seems the 3080 is not loading all the textures in due to the vram limit. So maybe 10GB is not enough on this game. OR the game needs checking why it's not using the full 10GB of VRAM, maybe a bug or an AMD special feature ? Well time for popcorn on this one.

I mentioned earlier that I had some texture loading issues with my 3080 and I thought it was a bug in the game and it might still be. I switched to high instead of ultra textures and the low res crap textures are gone. Ironically it looks so much better now at high instead of ultra, with proper resolution textures everywhere. The HD textures did work in most case, just now and again the gun or other stuff looked low res.

The gameplay is growing on me now after about 6 hours of playtime and the graphics are definately not last gen in my opinion. I wonder if all those reviews and people claiming crap graphics, are just setting it to HD and mistakenly assuming "is this it"?

I suspect this is a cheap trick by AMD to hobble the opposition. I hate it when Nvidia do it and I hate it when AMD do it and I absolutely will not defend this kind of practice if true. Having said that I have always personally felt 10GB was a bit close to the minimum for 4K gaming, but that it would be enough for all but some extreme use cases. I hope this is not a taste of a new trend.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
so the game is a VRAM hog, it barely keeps the fps above 60 on the highest end cards but some people think it needed more RT? :D

The RT is a hit and a miss in the game. Only some surfaces have RT and those that do render at between 480p and 720p - this low resolution causes a lot of stair stepped aliasing on shadows and reflections that the game's AA has no hope in hell of smoothing out. And turning on any of AMD's effects like FSR or CAS only makes it worse, not better.

Due to 480p and 720p effects in Far Cry 6, the only way to get a clean smooth image is to set the game's input resolution scale to 8k in the menu or otherwise set the scale to 4k and inject MSAAx4 into the game

Last edited:
Associate
Why is that a bad thing? I think it's great that some games are future proofed so people can max them out in years to come and they'll still look relavant.
NVIDIA is always stingy with VRAM on their flagship cards so this pack will remain unutilised for years on end. As of right now, it’s exclusive to AMD cards and the NVIDIA users have to use the stock textures.

You can call it future proofing but I say it’s the same dirty trick NVIDIA pulls with ray tracing in their sponsored titles. Cyberpunk 2077 for instance doesn’t have a lite ray tracing mode (similar to FC6) so as to allow AMD cards to at lease see a semblance of RT. They remain confined to the rasterised techniques and the game ends up looking awful on AMD and one of the best looking on NVIDIA.

Associate
Not played this on my rig yet but going by this video how can anyone say it looks bad? I think it looks great from the footage shown here.

It looks great for a rasterised game although the graphics fall off a cliff when you visit the interiors. Looks like Crysis from 2007. However, I was hoping for more ray tracing as we don’t have a open world jungle based title with good RT and if nvidia had sponsored this game, we would have gotten that. This game really needs RTGI and RTAO badly.

Associate
so the game is a VRAM hog, it barely keeps the fps above 60 on the highest end cards but some people think it needed more RT? :D
Yes it did. The RT is so weak, those of us with high end cards aren’t even using FSR. Even the gpu utilisation isn’t constantly at 99% at 4K. Had this game gone all out on RT similar to CP2077, I would have greatly preferred using FSR performance mode at 4K and game at 50-60 fps with all RT effects dialled up. A jungle setting with RTGI looks insane, just look at the Taiga level in Metro Exodus and imagine that in a paradise setting of FC6.

Back
Top Bottom