What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Do you feel that you compulsively collect or at least get social media induced FOMO over all these days various boutique watches? Every day you seem to be going nuts over some different random watch from some new micro brand I have never heard of! How many of them do you actually end up buying and how big is your collection? :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Do you feel that you compulsively collect or at least get social media induced FOMO over all these days various boutique watches? Every day you seem to be going nuts over some different random watch from some new micro brand I have never heard of! How many of them do you actually end up buying and how big is your collection? :)

Firstly, there have only been a couple of watches I have posted about from micros here over the past year? Can you even link to these many posts of mine going nuts? I post links to other watches that look interesting and some may be interested in too but not necessarily anything I'd buy for myself. If I like the look of something doesn't mean I suddenly want to buy it, maybe I just want to share something that looks cool, did you consider this :p - Or is it a case of if RIchdog has not heard of them they must be toilet?

Secondly, Baltic are not a new brand nobody has ever heard of. They've been around for several years and have a rather large following online. The fact that Hodinkee and other big watch press have covered them as well as producing a 1of1 watch to be auctioned off at a watch expo alongside the big luxury brands kind of proves their worth.

I have a small range of watches pretty much all of them classic design whether mechanical/digital/rare and as my tastes have changed over the years so has the collection hence the buying and selling of new and old to what I think is now the last change in taste as doubt it will change now from classic style watches.

Caporegime
Firstly, there have only been a couple of watches I have posted about from micros here over the past year? Can you even link to these many posts of mine going nuts? I post links to other watches that look interesting and some may be interested in too but not necessarily anything I'd buy for myself. If I like the look of something doesn't mean I suddenly want to buy it, maybe I just want to share something that looks cool, did you consider this :p - Or is it a case of if RIchdog has not heard of them they must be toilet?

Secondly, Baltic are not a new brand nobody has ever heard of. They've been around for several years and have a rather large following online. The fact that Hodinkee and other big watch press have covered them as well as producing a 1of1 watch to be auctioned off at a watch expo alongside the big luxury brands kind of proves their worth.

I have a small range of watches pretty much all of them classic design whether mechanical/digital/rare and as my tastes have changed over the years so has the collection hence the buying and selling of new and old to what I think is now the last change in taste as doubt it will change now from classic style watches.

Sorry mrk I could have phrased my post better, but I was in a rush and didn't mean to trigger any feelings of defensiveness or being singled out. My bad and my apologies.

I didn't at all mean anything from any non-big brand aren't cool (although whether I think paying significant moolah like £3k+ for one is sensible is another matter), I am just genuinely curious how many you and anyone else buys of the ones you rave about on a regular basis (and also, nothing wrong with raving about watches). Any maybe my term "micro" was not 100% accurate, I just generally meant smaller or boutique brands that are perhaps not mainstream that I have personally never heard of. I am sure Baltic have a strong small following, but they are still a microbrand that has existed for only a few years, which is nothing in watch brand terms. Hodinkee are a watch site always looking for new content, they will hype up and cover many up and coming microbrands, because that's what they do as a popular and trendy horological publication.

I guess I am curious as to how much people invest in the lesser known and microbrands overall and the value in doing this, vs buying a smaller amount of better known luxury watches with stronger pedigree and residuals. Of course you have to buy watches you love and its not all about money, but in the end if you are spending multiple thousands then it's often a factor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tracked down a Beatmaker, sent a load of cash to random dude on the internet who lives in the sticks of Georgia. Paid using an untraceable cash app using my debit card. Arrived today! Jokes on you risk management. For those unaware this is the limited edition run that was designed by the public, but definitely had a copious dose of foul play as the Italian Seiko enthusiasts club won with about 6m of the total vote (I think number 2 got about 100k votes :D)

92iBgDM.jpeg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I saw that email earlier today. Initially thought that looks nice, old skool aesthetics are definitely making a comeback... Then saw that the lug to lug length is 48mm. That will look quite funny in the flesh case size vs oddly long lug to lug on that shape of case!

Sorry mrk I could have phrased my post better, but I was in a rush and didn't mean to trigger any feelings of defensiveness or being singled out. My bad and my apologies.

I didn't at all mean anything from any non-big brand aren't cool (although whether I think paying significant moolah like £3k+ for one is sensible is another matter), I am just genuinely curious how many you and anyone else buys of the ones you rave about on a regular basis (and also, nothing wrong with raving about watches). Any maybe my term "micro" was not 100% accurate, I just generally meant smaller or boutique brands that are perhaps not mainstream that I have personally never heard of. I am sure Baltic have a strong small following, but they are still a microbrand that has existed for only a few years, which is nothing in watch brand terms. Hodinkee are a watch site always looking for new content, they will hype up and cover many up and coming microbrands, because that's what they do as a popular and trendy horological publication.

I guess I am curious as to how much people invest in the lesser known and microbrands overall and the value in doing this, vs buying a smaller amount of better known luxury watches with stronger pedigree and residuals. Of course you have to buy watches you love and its not all about money, but in the end if you are spending multiple thousands then it's often a factor.

It's cool, no harm done! I get that Hodinkee will cover stuff to get the clicks, understandable as they are a publication, it's not the only place that have featured them though, from big name youtubers to Watchfinder even, they've been all over it seems.

Anyhow, the new Baltics are all sold out, within hours. The wait time is 8 months until the next stock. I will almost certainly get one with the silver dial but no rush, I can wait those 8 months. It's something different, and a micro-rotor automatic under £1000 simply does not exist anywhere else so it is quite unique in its placement I think. I may not even wear it often as the Hamilton and Stowa get the most wear with them being robust "beaters" so to speak. But the fact that it's different with a movement not found anywhere else but is still serviceable by any decent watchmaker I find quite appealing especially given it's under £600!

Associate
GgBsfpa.png

The latest one in to play with.

Zelos Swordfish 40mm in Titanium with Carbon Dial and bezel insert. Around £250 inc.

Cant fathom how these guys produce such great pieces for little dosh!

Associate

Something Ive thought about too, but seems once someone is into the hobby its a ladder effect. £350 isnt much to spend on a micro. £800 isnt much to spent on a micro. £1500 isnt much to spend ... Personally if I spotted something from a brand that was not very well known but wasnt brand new or the price wasnt crazy when all the energy effort and parts were put into the mix then Id have no problem with it.

I rate Fears, Horage, Pinion and others in that £3k+ arena because Ive met the people and learned the history.

Conversely I do not rate Ming at their price point and for what they produce and how they do things.

Soldato
GgBsfpa.png

Zelos Swordfish 40mm in Titanium with Carbon Dial and bezel insert. Around £250 inc.

Yikes. That's a lot of my kind of materials for not much money.

Case back?

And how thick is the head overall?

Soldato
https://kickstarter.yema.com/#signup

Not a fan of the design myself or the size (lack of it) but may be for some others, Yema are doing a kickstarter early access their newest watch 30% off for signing up
I'm sure I've seen another watch similar to that which is smaller sized.... I'll post back if I remember what it is.

Made in China/Hong Kong and then gets some quality control versus the really cheap Chinese watch options. Probably making about $100 per watch if not more, which soon adds up if they get decent sales.

Soldato
Thinking of buying myself a Ball Engineer HydroCarbon.

It's the first watch I've come across in this bracket that I think is attractive, but not OTT. I love the Tritium illumination, the back story to Ball and the mechanism seems well design

IiUDzgZ.png

Anyone got any experience with Ball watches?

I always wanted the Trainmaster Cannonball 2 watch from Ball, however, going by the Ball facebook page, a lot of people complained about the Quality control of current Ball time pieces compared to older ones so i've been put off.

Soldato
I have an old Festina watch from the early 2000's that sadly got a bit beat up and is in need of repair. Replacement glass, some scratches to the metal work and a new strap if possible. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It's quite a rare piece, I think. Not particularly valuable but a lot of sentimental value.

Soldato
I have an old Festina watch from the early 2000's that sadly got a bit beat up and is in need of repair. Replacement glass, some scratches to the metal work and a new strap if possible. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It's quite a rare piece, I think. Not particularly valuable but a lot of sentimental value.
Personally I'd likely contact the manufacturer (they seem to have a site still) and see if they have a service centre or anything similar

This seems to be the bit you'll likely need
https://www.festinagroup.com/service-center/

Soldato
Dude, thank you. I remember struggling to find anything a few years back. Hopefully they can help sort it, still.
Be explicit about what you want doing to the watch. Some may replace all visibly aged parts so you basically get Trigger's broom, so ask them to ask you before doing any work.

It's part of the reason why am independent servicer is better for sentimental watches as you can choose what is replaced more easily, though conversely they may struggle to find replacement parts.

Soldato
Be explicit about what you want doing to the watch. Some may replace all visibly aged parts so you basically get Trigger's broom, so ask them to ask you before doing any work.

It's part of the reason why am independent servicer is better for sentimental watches as you can choose what is replaced more easily, though conversely they may struggle to find replacement parts.

Thanks for the heads up, the guy has confirmed he has or can get parts for me, I just have to send it in. I'm made up I can get it sorted.

Soldato
I really am pleased, just need to send it off now which I'll do at the end of month.

It's funny, I've never really been interested in watches. Haven't worn one for probably 15 years, but recently I've been feeling naked without one and really appreciating how beautiful the art of them is.

Soldato
Thanks for the heads up, the guy has confirmed he has or can get parts for me, I just have to send it in. I'm made up I can get it sorted.
All good then :)

Make sure you take a load of pictures before you send it off. While the odds of something bad happening is low it can happen and having some sort of reference is always good...plus you can do before and after shots on here :)

Forgot to say earlier, if the strap isn't a metal bracelet and/or integrated into the case, you can likely just change the strap yourself (just need the strap and tool) and it would also open up the options of changing straps later down the line as well. If you're unsure post up a pic and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom