• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
@Robert896r1 , I think it was you that alerted people early on to Rocket Lake latency issues, how AL looking for you so far?

Nice single core score, but I suppose in respect to multicore, seen it been there for a year.

Latency will be the wildcard for gaming. A lot of games prefer latency over bandwidth. Intel has a cool util called "vtune" that you can run and see where the pipeline bottlenecks are. When our group ran that across many games, we noticed latency was more often preferred esp on older games.

High spec DDR5 will have great bandwidth but will be running with dividers to get there which will cost you more and more latency. I'm personally not excited about CL50/8400 for example.

So there's going to be a lot of testing needed by people who know what they're doing to determine best all around vs what's best for a specific use case such as esports or high fps gaming.

Off the top of my head the following should be tested on a 12900k:
- HT off
- Small cores disabled
- Per core OC vs all core
- DDR4 tuned DR B-Die 1:1
- DDR4 tuned DR B-die maxed frequency
- DDR5 tuned for max frequency

If I had the time, I'd be testing the above for my use cases. Having to buy 2 boards and 2 sets off diff mem would be a bit annoying to swap around but not undoable. Thankfully a few people in our group will get ADL so the data will be more finely tuned that what you'd get from a tech tuber/publication. I'll post it here as it becomes available.

Soldato

Original post:
https://t-bilibili-com.translate.go...auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui

Guess what the processor
knows that the AVX3 of this CPU has been killed. The AVX2 consumes 250W, but it can be pressed at about 108 degrees with a single large frost tower without a buckle (just put it directly on the CPU). Medium and high-end water-cooled pressing is no problem below 90 degrees.
For the test, I used Windows 11, DDR4 3600 Gear1 for the poor, and the multi-core is almost the same as the 5950X next door, and the single-core is violent.
According to the previous revelations on the Internet, it is possible that the B660 BIOS of the x country x in my hand needs to be improved, of course, it may also be a bonus of DDR5? Anyway, after the official release, it will only be stronger.
Without the blessing of TVB (maybe it is really not), Pcore full core 4.9G, Ecore full core 3.7G, Guanxiao core full core 5.1G should be pediatrics.
This time it seems to use FIVR, which is the set of Haswell and HEDT, but it is not very confirmed. I will analyze it in detail next day. If it is really FIVR, then the temperature performance is still good. Also, the 11900K without the buckle is aimed at I went at 115 degrees.
In addition, Intel has prepared a dedicated Gear4 mode for DDR5 very intimately for us. As long as you are not afraid of delayed explosion, DDR5 10G is beckoning to you.

Soldato
I do wonder if AMD will pull and Intel, and once they announce the release date, AMD will drop their new faster parts as well, just to muddy the waters and stop people pre-ordering. Will be interesting to see what games are played with this critical release for Intel.

G J

G J

Associate
These leaks I'm sure are pre-planed, its always the same apps in the same order these people leak numbers for like the have some kind of advertising deal with.

If one is going to leak something why kinda half ass it kinda leaving people not really knowing what its going to be like unless they just making **** up.

Soldato
OP
These leaks I'm sure are pre-planed, its always the same apps in the same order these people leak numbers for like the have some kind of advertising deal with.

If one is going to leak something why kinda half ass it kinda leaving people not really knowing what its going to be like unless they just making **** up.

It seems it may be a thing of the past as well, in some caps

Geekbench is going to shortly remove the ability to store results in its database for any unreleased model names - so testing an unreleased CPU in geekbench 5, the result won't be visible on the internet

This won't stop the actual person doing the test to leak their own test themselves, but it stop dataminers from finding results

Soldato
Something tells me the scheduler for big/little cores on alder lake is going to be bad for games, or not that much of a leap over zen3

Thats the only reason I can think of why Intel is happy leaking all these dour productivity benches and not gaming ones

Soldato
No gaming benches isn't good thought we may have seen some buy now .

Gaming benchmarks are not exciting, as everyone knows the outcome already.

The outcome is that in 2021, 4K is the intended/desired/best resolution to be running at, at which all CPU's are GPU limited, and will be for many years. Now this statement of mine will be attacked by those who like playing at below console resolutions of 1080P, 1440P and that are stuck in the past. They'll defend their 1080P CPU benchmarks to the end of time. Let them, they tend to be the noisiest and the type of poster online 10 hour a day refreshing every topic of concern to them.

All you need for 4k gaming, even with a 3090/3090ti will be a Zen3/10th/11th/12th gen CPU with 8 cores, clocked to moderate levels. You'll see no diference in FPS between any of them.

Soldato
I don't really agree, I think the 12700K/ 12700 (or above) will obsolete AMD's current Zen 3 lineup, assuming high end cooling is used. Part of the reason for this, seems to be the improved L3 cache.

There's definitely some games that can fully utilize current CPUs, such as recent Total War games. Watchdogs: Legion CPU usage is pretty high too. Sounds like Farcry 6 will benefit from higher IPC/ singlethreaded performance also.

I think the extra 4/8 small cores will only be useful in multithreaded benchmarks, or vs the Ryzen 5900X or above.

Maybe AMD will be able to compete with Alder Lake, by beefing up Zen 3's cache, but I think these CPUs will have premium pricing.

Another factor, is that Intel will be slightly ahead of AMD on transistor density, until Zen 4 CPUs are available. Intel's '7' fab process (an optimized 10nm process basically) is slightly ahead of TSMC's 7nm (the standard, non EUV version).

Last edited:
Soldato
Gaming benchmarks are not exciting, as everyone knows the outcome already.

The outcome is that in 2021, 4K is the intended/desired/best resolution to be running at, at which all CPU's are GPU limited, and will be for many years. Now this statement of mine will be attacked by those who like playing at below console resolutions of 1080P, 1440P and that are stuck in the past. They'll defend their 1080P CPU benchmarks to the end of time. Let them, they tend to be the noisiest and the type of poster online 10 hour a day refreshing every topic of concern to them.

All you need for 4k gaming, even with a 3090/3090ti will be a Zen3/10th/11th/12th gen CPU with 8 cores, clocked to moderate levels. You'll see no diference in FPS between any of them.
What about the 4090/5090 though as some people like to keep the CPU for a few years and will upgrade their GPU in that time so while a faster CPU is not going to benefit now it may do in a few years time.

Soldato
Even a 9900k will be perfectly fine. This pretty much sums it up to be honest.

It would be ok for gaming at 4K with a very expensive graphics card and system. For anything it’s pretty meh.

A RX6900 XTXH would be a better pairing with a 9900K. It will get most performance out of the 9900K.

Back
Top Bottom