• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
Updated my RTSS and now can't see the per process VRAM despite re ticking the gpu.dll but perhaps the D3D dedicated from hwinfo is the same thing?

Turning off DXR and using FSR results in a nice boost to performance:

Caporegime
lol the bag underwater. As for overlay I have it like that so I can leave it running and its not too distracting or risking some OLED wear :p
I understand, but for YouTube viewers we need to be able to see it. Make it bigger for the video, then back to normal size after. :D

Dat 120 degree quake field of view though lmao
I always use the FOV at the highest setting, usually 120.

That's what happens when you move from an Ultra Wide, you miss that wide field of view.

Caporegime
so the game is a VRAM hog, it barely keeps the fps above 60 on the highest end cards but some people think it needed more RT? :D

If you want to ignore all pointed out issues across "all" platforms" by many users/reviewers then yes you could say the game is a "vram hog" :p ;)

As for needing more RT effects, as pointed out by DF video, there are a good amount of settings that can reduced, which bring performance back up without making too much of a difference visually so some performance could have been clawed back and put towards other graphical effects, which would make a difference visually. The game would have benefited far more from other RT effects such as AO and lighting (as said having these things could have really made it look nextgen and up there with CP, metro and the like in these areas) and better RT shadows (rather than just the sun casting RT shadows) but for obvious reasons, it wasn't, yes, no doubt it would have hit performance more (especially on amd) but most people would be happy getting 60 fps with FSR UQ/Q and lots of ray tracing goodness as they were for metro, cyberpunk, control etc. etc. (not to mention, not everyone plays at 4k... personally I would be playing on my 3440x1440 monitor over the 4k oled as prefer these games sat at a desk with M+K)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I mentioned earlier that I had some texture loading issues with my 3080 and I thought it was a bug in the game and it might still be. I switched to high instead of ultra textures and the low res crap textures are gone. Ironically it looks so much better now at high instead of ultra, with proper resolution textures everywhere. The HD textures did work in most case, just now and again the gun or other stuff looked low res.

Interesting comment. Yet more evidence pointing that there is a bug/issue with the game or drivers.

If you fancy and got time, could you take some screenshots comparing high textures setting with HD texture pack and ultra textures setting with HD pack? (for areas where the textures have loaded)

Not played this on my rig yet but going by this video how can anyone say it looks bad? I think it looks great from the footage shown here.

Don't think anyone has said it looks bad, just that it doesn't look much, if any better than FC 5 and new dawn, especially when you look at the visuals and then compare the performance....

Soldato
It looks great for a rasterised game although the graphics fall off a cliff when you visit the interiors. Looks like Crysis from 2007. However, I was hoping for more ray tracing as we don’t have a open world jungle based title with good RT and if nvidia had sponsored this game, we would have gotten that. This game really needs RTGI and RTAO badly.
Grass and leaves are usually made with alpha maps. Cheap on polygon count but are intensive to calculate. It would not go well RT. A lot of corner cutting would be necessary to get playable framerates with DLSS.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It’s tempting as it’ll be yet another win for the 6900 XT vs Ampere. :p

Even with RT On? :p

As someone alluded to earlier, I’ve got it installed on an NVMe rather than SSD, and experience no stuttering. Could this be because the console versions, current gen at least, are using faster storage than typical SSD’s? Might be a sign of things to come. Or I might be speculating out of my rectum, I don’t know!

Caporegime

@LtMatt There we go it's fully processed
Cheers, looks good. I don't see any texture issues. :)
Even with RT On? :p

As someone alluded to earlier, I’ve got it installed on an NVMe rather than SSD, and experience no stuttering. Could this be because the console versions, current gen at least, are using faster storage than typical SSD’s? Might be a sign of things to come. Or I might be speculating out of my rectum, I don’t know!
I think so, at least from the results I've found on YouTube where settings are the same, have a look.

3090 OC Strix at 4K max settings: Min 46 FPS Avg 65

6900 XT OC at 4K max settings: Min 60 FPS Avg 75

I've got a better score whilst not recording, Avg of 78 too. :)

Regarding the reported stuttering, yes it could be. I am using a PCI-E Gen 4 nVME, but there is no stuttering at all here.

Also it doesn't help when we have reviewers benching powerful GPUs using CPUs like Intel 9900Ks, when the fastest gaming CPU should be used which is the 5950X. Also, Smart Access Memory / Rebar should be enabled. Look how fast the 6900 XT is if you don't hobble its performance.

The fastest setup should always be used when testing graphics cards at the high end, its not rocket science.

Soldato
OP
I understand, but for YouTube viewers we need to be able to see it. Make it bigger for the video, then back to normal size after. :D

I always use the FOV at the highest setting, usually 120.

That's what happens when you move from an Ultra Wide, you miss that wide field of view.

Doesn't it make you nauseous though? Anything over 100 makes me nauseous because the side are distorted on movement

Caporegime
Doesn't it make you nauseous though? Anything over 100 makes me nauseous because the side are distorted on movement
I hear you, I’ve kind of got used to it though now. I love being able to see a lot on screen. The biggest issue I have now with Far Cry 6 is when you climb on a horse or get in a car the FOV shrinks from like 120 to what feels like 70 or less. Now that makes me feel sick, I hope it gets fixed.

Back
Top Bottom