Poll: Turkish Grand Prix 2021, Istanbul - Race 16

Rate the 2021 Turkish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I can understand Merc’s call.

Leclerc was over a second a lap faster than Hamilton when they called him in, with Perez and Gasly not far down the road. At that pace and with that many laps left, he could have ended up 5th or 6th anyway. Not to mention that if any more rain came, he would have been a sitting duck on those inters.

I guess we will never know whether he could have held on. He clearly thinks so (and I wouldn’t want to doubt him) but who knows.

What’s the gap to Max in the WDC now? 6 points? If Lewis wins in Austin (where he is very good) and Max comes 2nd, he will be leading the WDC again.

This is just a minor setback.

Associate
Merc had to pit him. If he had a failure he could have walked away with nothing. There was no need to risk all. Everyone bar LH/MV can take that risk, but ofnitnn no goes wrong it could lose a championship, whereas he can make this back in a race or 2.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Although a good chance he would have finished 3rd.

Maybe. Or he could have fallen off the road and whined about not being brought in.

Honest to God - it was irritating enough earlier in his career, but he's a seven time champion now. He ought to be able to make these calls for himself, and then carry the can if it does go backside-over-teakettle.

Caporegime
Honest to God - it was irritating enough earlier in his career, but he's a seven time champion now. He ought to be able to make these calls for himself, and then carry the can if it does go backside-over-teakettle.

What a stupid comment. Any driver who isn't a complete moron knows that their team is operating on vastly more information than they have.

Mercedes, imo, got it wrong today but Lewis was right to go in when called.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
What a stupid comment. Any driver who isn't a complete moron knows that their team is operating on vastly more information than they have.

But he's the one driving the ******* car! You're telling me the team know exactly what the steering feels like, the balance, the sound of the tyres scrubbing on turn-in?

Bull. They know laptimes. And absent any driver feedback that's about it.

Mercedes, imo, got it wrong today but Lewis was right to go in when called.

Absolutely he was right to do so. But then he needs to say 'yeah, it was the right call with what we knew' rather than be all Whiny McBitchtits™ about it.

Caporegime
Bull. They know laptimes. And absent any driver feedback that's about it.

And the lap and sector times of every other driver in the race. And the gaps between them. And whatever the other teams have said on the radio. And all penalties that have been applied.

The driver has a better read on their particular car and the roughly 100m in front of them. That's all.

Don
Number of pages in the thread says all that needs saying for that race. Tons of potential for excitement but ultimately a damp squib and totally forgetable

Associate
So dull even the poll hasn't turned up :D

4/10 for me.
1 for Lewis overtaking part of the field.
1 for Sainz overtaking half of the field.
1 for Vettel doing 1 lap on slicks for the lolz.
1 for Perez holding off Hamilton with some good tight but fair racing (which I wish we would see from Lewis and Max) I did wonder if Perez would receive a penalty for crossing the pit entry line though...

Gasly shouldn't have had the penalty at the start in my opinion. Otherwise, that might be the dullest race of the season, wish is probably more telling of what a great season it's been in general.

Soldato
Ultimately that was an extremely dull race in which not much happened despite the sky pundits going apoplectic before the start.

It seems the championship will be decided on who makes the best of races when they have engine penalties.

The result is now a lot more interesting than the race itself. I don't think Merc as a team are particularly match fit when it comes to fighting another team.

Associate
Still lol @ Vettel for trying medium slicks so early.
Never ever going to work no dry line anywhere at that point

This track doesn't seem to drain away very well, mind

As for Lewis, 3rd maybe debatable - those tyres could easily fallen off a cliff going much further

Soldato
So dull even the poll hasn't turned up :D

4/10 for me.
1 for Lewis overtaking part of the field.
1 for Sainz overtaking half of the field.
1 for Vettel doing 1 lap on slicks for the lolz.
1 for Perez holding off Hamilton with some good tight but fair racing (which I wish we would see from Lewis and Max) I did wonder if Perez would receive a penalty for crossing the pit entry line though...

Gasly shouldn't have had the penalty at the start in my opinion. Otherwise, that might be the dullest race of the season, wish is probably more telling of what a great season it's been in general.
Yeah was waiting for the poll but i would go 4/10 as well. Still don't quite understand how inters that become slicks have any grip?

Back
Top Bottom