• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Nothing will change unless the market disappears. If businesses can sell X product for Y price, they will do so. Prices will only drop if the product is not selling at that price. Since companies are making record profits with the products at the current vastly inflated prices, the products will continue to sell at the current vastly inflated prices. It's possible that the entire PC gaming market will disappear as a result, but why would AMD or nvidia care about that? Firstly, short termism is king. Secondly, why would either company care who is buying their product? It makes no difference to AMD or nvidia. Money is money.

Depends how much PC gaming is part of their business. If they think mining can pick up on that and take them further, then yes.

Associate
I wonder if any 3rd party looked into possible performance improvements at cheaper nodes.
Samsung just brought Finfet to 28nm creating a mixed 28/14nm process, it might be possible to extract some more at 14/12nm...

Soldato
Nothing will change unless the market disappears. If businesses can sell X product for Y price, they will do so. Prices will only drop if the product is not selling at that price. Since companies are making record profits with the products at the current vastly inflated prices, the products will continue to sell at the current vastly inflated prices. It's possible that the entire PC gaming market will disappear as a result, but why would AMD or nvidia care about that? Firstly, short termism is king. Secondly, why would either company care who is buying their product? It makes no difference to AMD or nvidia. Money is money.

Yeah I'm betting in a couple of years the PC graphics card market will mostly just be for mining, and the extremely rich. And then perhaps a few years after that mining gets banned everywhere due to its environmental impacts and its lack of any value at all, then the entire market collapses.

Man of Honour
Depends how much PC gaming is part of their business. If they think mining can pick up on that and take them further, then yes.

Their business is selling highly parallel processors. It's not fixed to any specific purpose for those processors. That's a marketing thing, not really connected to the products themselves.

The bottom line is the bottom line - profit. The last year or so has proved that they can sell their product at far higher prices. So they do. And they will continue to do so for as long as their product will sell at those prices. Even if their costs dropped to 2p and a bent paperclip. Why wouldn't they?

Permabanned
Their business is selling highly parallel processors. It's not fixed to any specific purpose for those processors. That's a marketing thing, not really connected to the products themselves.

The bottom line is the bottom line - profit. The last year or so has proved that they can sell their product at far higher prices. So they do. And they will continue to do so for as long as their product will sell at those prices. Even if their costs dropped to 2p and a bent paperclip. Why wouldn't they?

Yes, even car manufacturers are doing the same. New car prices are at their highest ever, and they are making less cars and selling them at higher prices, manufactures are not wanting to go back to the norm, when they are all making record profits of our hard earned cash. The consumer in UK is getting fleeced badly in every way possible. We are all £2,000 plus worse off due to inflation and green policies. But we deserve it for voting in this government.

Can't see GPU prices coming down by a large amount.

A 3080 next gen level card will cost £1500 plus easy, when 10years ago you would be looking at £200-£400

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GTX 580 launched at over £400 in 2011

The GTX 580 was the brand new top of the range of a new generation of cards at the time, so the current comparison would be the 3090, not the 3080. Also, the UK MSRP of the GTX 580 was £399, i.e. within the range Sarge2255 gave. But the main point is that when it was released it was the absolute top of the range of a new generation of cards, which always carries a much higher price. So the right comparison would be with a GTX 570 (i.e. the next model down from the top). Which launched at £290.

Soldato
The GTX 580 was the brand new top of the range of a new generation of cards at the time, so the current comparison would be the 3090, not the 3080. Also, the UK MSRP of the GTX 580 was £399, i.e. within the range Sarge2255 gave. But the main point is that when it was released it was the absolute top of the range of a new generation of cards, which always carries a much higher price. So the right comparison would be with a GTX 570 (i.e. the next model down from the top). Which launched at £290.

Oh 2011, that would be the £600 gtx 590, since the 580 was end 2010, so that's a big no.

Soldato
Just had a look at the pricing and availability of GPUs after not paying attention for a while. Quite obvious the only ones in stock are the obscenely overpriced ones. I might have another look in 12 months, I can't see much improving before then. Of course we can always hope Intel saves us :cry: Jokes aside if they can produce a decent mid priced card I'd buy it, might help keep Nvidia in check. I'd love to see them fighting it out.

Associate
It doesn't really matter to me where 10yr old card prices were in respect to that current cards are lesser performing at unrealistic price increases vs last gen. Said card, 5700xt vs 6600xt. Where's the 6500xt?

Market will get saturated at some point. Mining will only be for the dedicated/invested when that's been saturated.

Man of Honour
Just had a look at the pricing and availability of GPUs after not paying attention for a while. Quite obvious the only ones in stock are the obscenely overpriced ones. I might have another look in 12 months, I can't see much improving before then. Of course we can always hope Intel saves us :cry: Jokes aside if they can produce a decent mid priced card I'd buy it, might help keep Nvidia in check. I'd love to see them fighting it out.

Intel do potentially have a massive opportunity if they can manufacture cards in large quantities. Not to save us, but to profit. It's possible that Intel's dGPUs will be powerful enough to be attractive to the large majority of gamers. They're not going to be high end, but they might be at least low midrange. In normal circumstances a third party entering a duopoly would need much better than that to make a big impression, but these are far from normal circumstances. If Intel can come even close to meeting demand and with prices that are less than insane, they'd gain a market share that would be a silly fairy story in normal circumstances and they'd gain massive amounts of hugely positive publicity completely free of charge. They'd get advertising for free that they couldn't buy for a billion dollars and be instantly established as a major player in a market that was previously a duopoly. That's an opportunity for profit that doesn't happen often.

Soldato
Intel do potentially have a massive opportunity if they can manufacture cards in large quantities. Not to save us, but to profit. It's possible that Intel's dGPUs will be powerful enough to be attractive to the large majority of gamers. They're not going to be high end, but they might be at least low midrange. In normal circumstances a third party entering a duopoly would need much better than that to make a big impression, but these are far from normal circumstances. If Intel can come even close to meeting demand and with prices that are less than insane, they'd gain a market share that would be a silly fairy story in normal circumstances and they'd gain massive amounts of hugely positive publicity completely free of charge. They'd get advertising for free that they couldn't buy for a billion dollars and be instantly established as a major player in a market that was previously a duopoly. That's an opportunity for profit that doesn't happen often.

I'm in no doubt they won't be doing anything out of the goodness of their heart. I completely agree this is a great opportunity for them to break into the dGPU market. It could give much need balance in the market as AMD have always been struggling to compete against Nvidia who are to GPUs as Intel is to CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom