Loft Hatch

Soldato
Can anyone spec me a loft hatch?

The one I have you like have to like push up, then take out completely but I want to add a telescopic loft ladder for easy access, and this wont work with that, I need one with a door that folds down (whatever you call it) on a hinge, like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manthorp...XqkpNQvNIMYgyUNwJY4aAnDZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've measured the area (give a take a few mm) the hatch opening is 760mm x 560mm, the space between the wood is 800mm x 570mm

The length (left to right as per the below photo) isnt that important, ideally doesnt want to be much smaller, as that'll mean I might end up with a gap in the plaster board which I will have to put right and it'll never end up looking 100%. Plus it'll mean I will have smaller access. Those bits of wood at each end are not strucutral, they have been nailed in there, I will need to take one out (left side as per photo) anyway and put a better bit of wood in so I can bolt the ladder to it. It can be longer maybe 50/100 mil either way should still fit nicely.

Width wise (top to bottom as per the photo) obviously needs to be pretty spot on.

I have a small set of steps I keep in a cupboard right next to that hatch anyway, so I dont mind one that you have to reach up to pull down or whatever, that isnt an issue at all.

Any suggestions?

IMG-20211010-183142.jpg

Soldato
Can anyone spec me a loft hatch?

The one I have you like have to like push up, then take out completely but I want to add a telescopic loft ladder for easy access, and this wont work with that, I need one with a door that folds down (whatever you call it) on a hinge, like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/manthorp...XqkpNQvNIMYgyUNwJY4aAnDZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've measured the area (give a take a few mm) the hatch opening is 760mm x 560mm, the space between the wood is 800mm x 570mm

The length (left to right as per the below photo) isnt that important, ideally doesnt want to be much smaller, as that'll mean I might end up with a gap in the plaster board which I will have to put right and it'll never end up looking 100%. Plus it'll mean I will have smaller access. Those bits of wood at each end are not strucutral, they have been nailed in there, I will need to take one out (left side as per photo) anyway and put a better bit of wood in so I can bolt the ladder to it. It can be longer maybe 50/100 mil either way should still fit nicely.

Width wise (top to bottom as per the photo) obviously needs to be pretty spot on.

I have a small set of steps I keep in a cupboard right next to that hatch anyway, so I dont mind one that you have to reach up to pull down or whatever, that isnt an issue at all.

Any suggestions?

IMG-20211010-183142.jpg

Loft hatches and ladders are two separate entities unless on the rare occasion those all in one wooden systems fit without truss/joist alterations.

Not all ladders are equal even between screwfix, b&q, toolstation etc.

The best value ladder with compact stow and able to pull down through a very small gap if needed is this one.

https://www.toolstation.com/werner-3-section-easystow-loft-ladder-handrail/p10383

It's worth paying that bit extra over the basic version for the handle and stow system. You just pull it down / return with the included handle.

To fit and mount you can use additional cls framing timber lengths attached to the top of the trusses/joists if needed. Usually the existing frame and any boarding will suffice.

For a hatch, either cut a piece of ply/mdf to size, paint and add hinges & lock / catch (a suitable catch is included with the ladder I have linked if needed) or buy the plastic hatch you linked too.

Soldato
OP
Yeye I'm going to do it in 2 seperate parts, loft hatch, then seperate ladder. The ladder I got one in mind, telescopic that you basically just bolt to a bit of wood. Just won't work with the existing hatch.

Caporegime
Yeye I'm going to do it in 2 seperate parts, loft hatch, then seperate ladder. The ladder I got one in mind, telescopic that you basically just bolt to a bit of wood. Just won't work with the existing hatch.

Be good to post pics when done. I have a similar small access route to the loft and use a chair to get in!

All the off the shelf solutions require cutting plaster board

Soldato
OP
Be good to post pics when done. I have a similar small access route to the loft and use a chair to get in!

All the off the shelf solutions require cutting plaster board

Yeah I will update this thread as I go.

I have a varly good idea in my head now of what needs to be done, not going to order anythign online Screwfix have a store near(ish) I will go on the weekend and get the bits.

Basically the main reason for doing all this is I am applying for a firearms licence and want to keep the guns up there, I have boarded the floor up there so you can walk around, and wired up a couple of LED light batons and also a 2 plug socket for a low wattage heater that will go right in the cabinet to keep damp out. Gun cabinet is on the way. I will be going up and down every week, plus the firearms officer might get a little funny if its not that easy to access becuase they might (reasonably) think you just wont bother going up there and leave your guns lying around in the house.

Soldato
Find a local loft ladder outfit and get a quote from them.

We were lucky enough to have a hatch which had a main joist right next to it, so it was a doodle to get a ladder bolted up. Cost about £100 for the people we used to supply and fit one.

Soldato
Have you got anymore insulation? If you don’t, add more.

In your picture you look to have <100mm between the joists and the hatch isn’t insulated either. Your place must cost a fortune to heat.

I’d replace the hatch with with something like this, selecting the highest insulation value version.

https://www.jupiterblue.co.uk/loft-...9/pd-loft-hatch-range-760-x-560mm-hinged-p162

*Note, that site came up as the first shopping link on Google, I’ve never actually used them.

You might need to trim the insulation to get the ladder legs past but you can do that with a knife.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
IMG-20211016-153031-BURST008.jpg

IMG-20211016-153118.jpg

IMG-20211016-153152.jpg

All done.

Ended up just getting the hatch in my first post fit almost perfectly, ladder is telescopic and just collapses up on a sprung bracket. Really easy to pull it down then just put it back up.

Soldato
Looks tidy. I should get round to replacing mine soon, I didn't realise insulating it was so key. And the wooden ladder is a right pain although a bit sacrilege to change :(

Caporegime
All done.

Ended up just getting the hatch in my first post fit almost perfectly, ladder is telescopic and just collapses up on a sprung bracket. Really easy to pull it down then just put it back up.

I like that ladder. Can you link it at all?

Our loft hatch is in the spare room for some reason, rather than on the landing .... neighbours have moved theirs but not sure I want to do that, just want a decent ladder up to it :p

Soldato
I had a drop loft hatch cover and catch kept letting go and hatch dropped down on hinges - In the end I measured up the frame size then ordered a made to measure metal one -Just screw frame to existing opening then screw hatch on - it is also fully insulated.- It was a bit expensive but it saved a lot of hassle.

Back
Top Bottom