Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I remember tripping on a treadmill and grabbing the handrail for stability before falling, landing on my knees and discovering just how rough the surface is as it stripped the skin back in about 1/2 second! I dread to think what running on it barefoot would be like :eek:

Soldato
Haha maybe you get different types. I just remember thinking it was a good idea and then hugely regretting it!

My recovery is progressing well.

Friday - Went out after work. Ran for 60 seconds, walked for 6, ran for 60, walked for 6 and then ran for 60 again. Some mild discomfort on the last one on each step, but nothing unbearable and no lasting pain.
Saturday - Cycled to watch the footy, ~10 miles each way. No issues whilst riding the bike, but i did get some pain due to standing up at the football from around 70 minutes onwards. But was fine once i started walking back to the bike.
Sunday - Walked to the shops for wine. Was around 4 miles in total and i added in 3 x 2 minute runs. Again, some discomfot/sharp pain on each landing at times but nothing lasting. Main discomfort was that we walked really slow as the dog had a limp so again was on my feet for around 2 hours. I got home and iced it and took some Naproxen and that calmed it down

No issues today though which is nice. It's stupid but one of the things i'm looking forward to most is not being last on the Garmin weekly step challenges! I've dropped down into the 35k group and this week i was still 5th!

Associate
I had a fun night race in Bournemouth on Saturday night. Out and back 5km on along the sea front to Boscombe, back to Bournemouth and around the pier. Fast course and good conditions so I decided to go for it and see where my fitness was. I managed 19:20, and came 8th. The last km I was fading and lost about 10 seconds compared to the previous 4, I wonder how phycological it was as the course is so straight you can see how far you have to go. Still my 3rd fasted 5km.

Soldato
What you are describing sounds like leg crossover. .

This is exactly what I think it is!! Interestingly I ran outside this evening (only very slow 25minutee). I was running on uneven ground such as gravel paths etc. Not once was I concerned about my technique or 'crossing over'. Maybe I just don't run well on treadmills!

Soldato
Soo just completed week 8 day 1 of my zero to 10k plan, it's going well I think. No knee pain at least.

But I'm having massive issues with blisters under my big toe, stretching down to the arch... It's like a sausage under my foot...

Any recommendations for running socks?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I use Balega Hidden Comfort socks and they have been great.

Good news on the recovery Martyn :)

Manchester didn't go very well. I wanted a 3:30, set off slow at 8.1 per mile and realised I wasn't going to be going much faster to get into 3:30 by the end so I slowed down a little. Sustained it until about mile 16 then my right calf had the wildest shooting pain out of nowhere and I hit the ground with cramp. After that I got up and just did the bare minimum to get to the end. Any incline and speed brought back that feeling. By the end every muscle in my legs felt like they locked up and on fire. Got a 4:06 in the end, my slowest albeit only 3rd marathon. Clearly training for and finishing a 50 ultra doesn't quite set you up for a faster marathon. I finished though, which is more than can be said for a lot of people I passed who were flaked out on the floor receiving help so I'm not too wounded about it.

I've come away with more experience and knowledge. My lungs were fine, I could have chatted all the way around, it was just my legs very unhappy. I'd almost missed the start due to missing my alarm so my morning fuelling didn't go to plan. I was also covered in salt by the end, I will almost definitely need some sort of suppliment/diet consideration to boost that next time (was also an issue at Lakeland). Just goes to show 5 mile 900ft training runs due to time constraints (baby) don't make up for training distance.

I'm going to follow a proper training plan for April and do it properly. I may sign up for some smaller marathon events before then but not take them so seriously and chase a time, just do the miles and enjoy them to get used to the distance again.

Soldato
I got some ON running socks and really like them, although they're quite pricey at full price. Danish Endurance seem good value too from the ones i've got and have last well.

Shame about Manchester @Dup, my mates dad was doing it and as i was out with the wife i commented how the weather seemed perfect, bright skies but cool enough to not overheat. Interesting about the performance though, i had similar expectations in my head and thought that doing a 50 would set you up for a pretty good marathon. I guess fueling would cause that issue, i've seen people rave about salt tablets for that reason.

I quite like adding something like SIS Go into my water bottle, just gives you that little extra carbs/electrolites over water alone.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Yeah, I really need to delve into the nutrition side and follow a proper training plan (gonna use the Ben Parkes plan linked earlier, looks decent). Really surprised how hard it was but my well established running friend says he's had more bad races than good so that's comforting because he's a legend :D

Not keen on carrying my own water for a marathon but maybe on the build-up the days and morning before it makes sense. Although I had a bottle of water all the way around on Sunday, sipped until empty between each water station and got another bottle. It really was tough.

I fancy booking a marathon or shorter ultra or two this winter and just doing it without chasing a time. No idea what's on though, I always look then talk myself out of it.

Hope the injury clears up, you seem to have terrible luck with them.

Soldato
Good point on carrying fluid for the marathon. I’ve only done one but I’d be inclined to just carry a tube of electrolyte tablets to pop into each bottle. Really though I wouldn’t have thought it’d be needed with decent preparation as you say.

Yeah it’s been annoying. At least this time it’s a pure injury and I can understand it, most of the others have just appeared for little reason and caused problems.
I guess being heavy with reasonable volume isn’t ideal without a good amount of strength work/stretching. Neither of which I’m very good with. I’m hoping cycling provides some good balance and strength. Along with aiming to knock around 10kg of weight off my body to reduce stresses.

How about just a self supported Pendle Way? Around 45 miles but passes through some towns where you could get food/water and could easily potter along on your own.That or Rossendale way are my short term plans.

Associate
I got one of the London marathon water belts. Found it quite good as it’s small and light but only holds 250ml bottles.

So I just grabbed and stored another bottle when ever I finished one. Obviously only works if they’re providing bottles rather than cups.

Don’t think I’d want to use my full water pack for a race but do use it regularly in the summer for long runs.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Holy ****

So this winter the TRI club has signed up for a winters worth of Coached running track time, first session last night and while it was an absolute blast my legs this morning are in bits....all these strides, lunges, hip twisting things.... such pain :)

Associate
Just noticed this thread, I've never been into fitness but currently working my way through couch to 5k and thoroughly enjoying it, next run will be 20 minutes non stop for the first time (week 5 day 3) so will be a proper test. I'm in a pretty active job already which has helped but still get pretty knackered going for a run. Short term goal is to start going to park runs every week, I'm pretty sure I have a bit of social anxiety so hopefully it'll help with that too. The long term goal is a marathon. Whether the latter can be achieved by the end of next year we'll see.

Already downloaded the 10k app in preparation, would you suggest staying with some 5k runs for a little while once I finish the program or transition straight to 10k?

Soldato
Just noticed this thread, I've never been into fitness but currently working my way through couch to 5k and thoroughly enjoying it, next run will be 20 minutes non stop for the first time (week 5 day 3) so will be a proper test. I'm in a pretty active job already which has helped but still get pretty knackered going for a run. Short term goal is to start going to park runs every week, I'm pretty sure I have a bit of social anxiety so hopefully it'll help with that too. The long term goal is a marathon. Whether the latter can be achieved by the end of next year we'll see.

Already downloaded the 10k app in preparation, would you suggest staying with some 5k runs for a little while once I finish the program or transition straight to 10k?

I'd probably just move straight to 10k, you'll have sufficient base fitness, and once you have that, the jump from 5k to 10k is a lot easier than the one from 0 to 5k.

A marathon is also more than do-able by the end of next year, particularly if you have a good base fitness from your job. I did a pretty hilly trail marathon back in June and spent a stretch running with a woman who'd only been running around 6 months! Not saying everyone could do that (i couldn't after 6 months), but it's possible, especially if you put the work in and are happy to follow a structured plan to get there.

Soldato
4th run done. Up to 4 minutes at a time now, although the last one was 4.5 mins because i wasn't paying attention and was enjoying it too much! It's amazing how positive i felt during those 4 minute intervals today. The 1-3 minute ones all felt short, but today i could settle into a bit of a rhythm and not constantly watch the timer count down.

First job had some sharp pains, but towards the end it eased and all the rest felt fine. It's hard to not decide "i'll just do one more". The next one will be an equal time of walking and jogging which will be nice and then just a count down to getting back to constant running.

I was trying to think today of a goal to set myself for the end of the year. I'm going to force myself to not go over 4 miles in October whilst i continue to recover, but then i'd like to start building back up. I don't know whether to run a marathon distance might be too much, but then conversely a half marathon might not be enough.

Soldato
Oooh, to quell my impatience, it seems i've been a little conservative in following the Ben Parkes recovery plan. I've been doing

3x 1 minute job, 9 minute walk
rest
3x 2 minute job, 8 minute walk
rest
3x 3 minute job, 7 minute walk
rest
3x 4 minute job, 6 minute walk
rest

With the aim to just keep increasing by a minute, however looking at his plan again he suggests 1-2-4-6-8-9-14-20-25-30-40 (with the 9 being the last 3 interval session, 14 being twice and then 20 onwards being singles).

Glad i caught that early or i'd have been going much slower than he suggests. I know obviously it's all dependent on my injury and recovery and what i'm capable of, but todays run felt good and i'm feel good an hour later too with no pain/discomfort. The thought of a 40 minute run in just over 2 weeks sounds amazing if my heart can take it :D

Associate
I'd probably just move straight to 10k, you'll have sufficient base fitness, and once you have that, the jump from 5k to 10k is a lot easier than the one from 0 to 5k.

A marathon is also more than do-able by the end of next year, particularly if you have a good base fitness from your job. I did a pretty hilly trail marathon back in June and spent a stretch running with a woman who'd only been running around 6 months! Not saying everyone could do that (i couldn't after 6 months), but it's possible, especially if you put the work in and are happy to follow a structured plan to get there.

Thanks, I'll just move straight to the 10k after then. 6 months is impressive, like you say amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it! Looks like you are coming along well, haven't fully read this thread yet but hopefully you will fully recover from your injury sooner rather than later.

Soldato
How long are the plans you're following? It could be an idea to book something like a half marathon event around May/June time. 7/8 months should be enough time from now to build up to that and then it gives you an idea of event organisation etc in advance of a marathon.

Plus i always find having something booked in does wonders for motivation.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's slowly getting there. My main concerns are around over-doing things because it feels better and i'm not sure if i'm giving myself enough rest inbetween stresses. For example, on the rest days programmed into this recovery plan i'm still generally going out on the bike or doing some strength exercises like calf raises etc and not sure if it's helping or not. Might be more apparent as the running times increase quite quickly from this point on.

Associate
How long are the plans you're following? It could be an idea to book something like a half marathon event around May/June time. 7/8 months should be enough time from now to build up to that and then it gives you an idea of event organisation etc in advance of a marathon.

Plus i always find having something booked in does wonders for motivation.

Thanks for the good wishes. It's slowly getting there. My main concerns are around over-doing things because it feels better and i'm not sure if i'm giving myself enough rest inbetween stresses. For example, on the rest days programmed into this recovery plan i'm still generally going out on the bike or doing some strength exercises like calf raises etc and not sure if it's helping or not. Might be more apparent as the running times increase quite quickly from this point on.

Definitely don't overdo it, if you put yourself back further because of it you'll be kicking yourself. C25K is 9 weeks, I'm on Week 5 day 3 for the next run and so far haven't had to repeat any days yet. The 10k app I've downloaded looks to be a 6 week plan so hopefully in the next few months I'll have taken the running up a notch at least. I'll definitely need to look into some decent clothing & shoes once it really gets colder. I'll look to see if there are any half marathons going around that time like you say could do me some good for motivation having something booked. I do find running really helps clear my head which can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom