• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
I'm in no doubt they won't be doing anything out of the goodness of their heart. I completely agree this is a great opportunity for them to break into the dGPU market. It could give much need balance in the market as AMD have always been struggling to compete against Nvidia who are to GPUs as Intel is to CPUs.

Yes, but only if they don't suffer the same fate as AMD:
I want AMD to compete so that I can buy Nvidia cards for less
Which has often meant that even when AMD had the better product, or the better value product, or even the product with better longevity their marketshare barely moved.

Soldato
Yes, but only if they don't suffer the same fate as AMD:

Which has often meant that even when AMD had the better product, or the better value product, or even the product with better longevity their marketshare barely moved.

The big difference this time is Intel is a household name, many people already have an Intel PC and Intel are about 10x the size of AMD. Nvidia has a large mindshare but so has Intel. As long as the price to performance is there and they have volume (another advantage having their own fabs) they will sell well. I'd buy one and I was one of those supporting AMD when they weren't mainstream.

koh

koh

Associate
A fall in the price of a commodity, such as GPUs, can happen due to overproduction of the commodity so saturating the market for it. Demand for the commodity declines - could be a recession, an alternative arrives on the market etc. A new player enters the market so increasing price competition between manufacturers. I don't have a crystal ball to predict which is more likely to happen than any other yet, at then end of the day, our precious GPUs are a commodity like every other in the world market so their price can rise as well as fall. I'll be buying 2nd hand again if prices do not come down or get myself a console.

Associate
Not any day soon is re-enforced by recent price movements.

A certain high-street reseller of used stuff, seems to have raised pretty much all their GPU prices by an across the board +£10 today - or at least for the ones I had previously looked at - so that doesn't bode well for the next few months.

Xmas isn't going to help plus colder longer evenings also increases demand from gamers (who wants to game when the weather is good outside), or even part time miners (if you're going to be heating, might as well speculate on coins).

Well there goes my idea of maybe doing a complex swap my backup (and only) card for something else. (Currently using an 1GB R7 260X as I misjudged the market and sold my 6GB 1060 last September hoping to buy back in later. Was recently considering trying to see if I could pick up a 2GB 1050 which with selling my current for vouchers I might have been able to do for +£70. Steep for a 2GB card but a 1050 is a useful backup card anyhow.)

Associate
Associate
2 years waiting to buy a new graphics card now (on a 1080 atm) and no regrets. If this continues I’ll buy a PS5 and sack PC gaming.

thankfully very few good games have come out in the last 2 years so my 1080 still plays everything perfectly. Very surprised by how good Doom Eternal runs on “older” hardware for example.

Associate
Frankly I'm also surprised at how well my RX590 (we're talking about GTX980 performance) is holding up at 1080p and 1440 in some older titles.

12nm cards still have some fight left in them, shame that no player is seriously investing in them anymore.

Permabanned
2 years waiting to buy a new graphics card now (on a 1080 atm) and no regrets. If this continues I’ll buy a PS5 and sack PC gaming.

thankfully very few good games have come out in the last 2 years so my 1080 still plays everything perfectly. Very surprised by how good Doom Eternal runs on “older” hardware for example.

Doom Eternal runs great!

But with a High Spec PC , you can then do 4k,8k max settings at 120fps, 60fps :p.

Gaming at 4k@60 or 120 is just awesome!

Associate

Go for it mate. Ps5 is fantastic. Ghost of tsushima and ratchet and clank rift apart look better than PC game I've seen. Can't see me upgrading my PC for years. I go back to it to play doom eternal and the odd shooter but every other type of game I'll play on PS5. The prices of GPUs is a joke.

Permabanned
Go for it mate. Ps5 is fantastic. Ghost of tsushima and ratchet and clank rift apart look better than PC game I've seen. Can't see me upgrading my PC for years. I go back to it to play doom eternal and the odd shooter but every other type of game I'll play on PS5. The prices of GPUs is a joke.

Ghost of tsushima looks good, but if it were released on PC it would look much better.

Caporegime
This situation is a result of cartel practices. Period.
Nvidia and AMD got together and fixed the market, like they do for 15 years now.

It isn't. It is because they are literal money printers, and you can make back what they cost via mining in a matter of months at the moment.

Until the crypto market has a proper good crash and stays down, GPU prices and availability will not get better.

Hopefully ethereum going 100% proof of stake will help somewhat soon as well.

Back
Top Bottom