*** The Official Battlefield 2042 thread***

Caporegime
BFR game, the maps tiny for that, fortnites maps are huge compared to this as are the PUBG ones :D

These maps are more high fidelity so they can't go quite to that scale, its hard to deny that a lot of elements in the game seem out of place considering more recent BF titles. And its not as if dice or ea will ever admit one way or the other that the game initially had a different focus, conquest in battlefield games has got stale over the years and become a glorified game of ring around the roses, so maybe they were initially going to try something else then plans changed at some point?

Caporegime
Your approach is spot on, for you its not meeting whatever criteria you use to validate its price and thats perfectly sensible.

I think thats the right viewpoint you have there Alan, each of us has to decide whether the fun we got from it is enough to justify the price. As I've said many times in the past , for me, the justification of buying a game is based entirely upon the £ per hour ratio. I dont care about anything else, it could have originally been designed to be a Candy Crush clone for all I care, I only care about whether or not the game provides me with enough fun to equal my £ per hour system, its a system I use for quite literally every single game I buy or have bought. Based upon the beta (almost 20 hours) I think I will easily get 40 hours out of it, probably much more, and that means I will hit the £ per hour for the cost and thus for me I'd be entirely justified, in my own mind, in buying it and I'm fine with that. We should all take Alan's approach on this, I suppose one of the big problems with forums and youtube videos etc is that people seem to get very overprotective/overdestructive about games and some folks will do their absolute best to attempt to convince people to think the same way they do, to make them like the game they like or dislike the game they dislike. I have a friend like that, right pain in the butt :D

For me at least I need an FPS to occupy my time. It has been like that since CS 1.6. Battlefield is the least worse of a milked to an inch of its life bunch.

Associate
Only played maybe a total of 1 hour of open beta.

Map was bleh, too big (for the gamemode I guess). No frontline, vehicles and aircraft everywhere.
Gameplay is even more chaotic. Devs really don't know what they want the game to be. Just put everything in and make more and bigger.

Game engine still looks and feels good, discarding the glitches. So it has potential. I wish modding was a thing in this day and age. Not trusting these devs with Portal quirky gamemodes either.
Honestly they should just recreate BC2 and BF3 verbatim on this engine.

I avoided BF 1 and BF V for making historical events into a circus.
Looks like I'm avoiding this for just being a bad game.

Caporegime
The game is so stripped back from previous iterations it's farcical. It feels like a free to play game with everyone running around at stupid speeds sliding all over the place. Tanks jeeps etc feel like they're sliding along on ice, everything regens magically so medics and engineers are redundant. Vehicles don't seem to take specific damage which has been a feature since BF3 so they function unhindered until they get destroyed.

The third person takedown you can bet your ass has been done that way so ea can sell skins or certain weapons that get showcased when doing it. You can't see your character skin with first person but with third person it's a cash grab option for people stupid enough to pay for something they'll see for 2 seconds every so often.

Baffles me how basic the game is, it's like we've went back in time to 2002 or thereabouts. How do we go from the mechanics that have been built up from bf3 onwards to something as bare bones basic as this? The theory that this originally wasn't a battlefield game and was reworked to be one is getting stronger by the day when you think of just how much is missing out of this turd. Even something as basic as throwing back a grenade is missing as once they're thrown you have no idea where they are.

I wonder what the response will be to the backlash from the EA overlords? Probably ignore it and release as usual.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The third person takedown you can bet your ass has been done that way so ea can sell skins or certain weapons that get showcased when doing it. You can't see your character skin with first person but with third person it's a cash grab option for people stupid enough to pay for something they'll see for 2 seconds every so often.

The best way to stop MTX in games is to stop buying the MTX. The problem with MTX isnt the devs its us the gamers, its simple supply and demand, if gamers (many of whom are total *****) didnt keep throwing money at skins and other MTX then devs wouldnt do it. I for one can hardly blame the devs, if some idiot on ebay kept buying the fluff out of my tumble dryer I would keep selling it too

Man of Honour
This roundup of issues and overall thoughts from Westie pretty much mirrors my own , like him I had 20 hours of fun with my mates in a squad. Like him I agree its got issues but ultimately underneath we had fun

Soldato
The grenade throwing animation is pretty funny. I mean it's awful but it's so bad it's funny. The grenade has already appeared to be thrown and as you see it in the air the arm then does the throw :D

Perhaps grenades work differently in the future. Maybe BF:2042 is Tenet.

Caporegime
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefiel...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

A vid showing whats missing from 2042 vs previous games, a lot more than intiitally thought.

I could go on for yonks but spawning into Tanks and Planes dumbed a mechanic down which never needed changing. Griefing an air strip or stealing tanks added to the game. Heck in the original BFVietnam you could airdrop tanks with the Huey. Now you can only simply call in a AI air drop. Back in BC2 you could flatten everything so there was no where to hide for campers. It was BF's unique USP. It has slowly been eroded away over the years.

Associate
I installed BT4 + 5 just yesterday to see if either of them could pull me back in while i wait for this to drop.
BF5 i just cant get into, i dont know if its cross play or what, but i seem to just die everytime i come up against anyone. I've only played 15hrs in total and dont have much unlocked so maybe that is also a factor.
BF4, wasnt expecting much when i re-installed this and then remembered it has dedicated servers, so no crossplay! Loads of them still around and full. This game is awesome and exactly what i was looking for in bf2042, classes are all well defined with a proper role. Squads work well. Maps are great! Get it re-installed!

Soldato
Yeah I already had it installed as played some a few months back. Switched to a quick game during the beta of 2042 to see if I was just being nostalgic. I wasn't. It's just better

Back
Top Bottom