Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Soldato
It used to be when I was your age - I now find it cold.:rolleyes:

Just debating buying another transit tipper load. The web site says it's still same price as it was mid summer.

Associate
Collected a nice bit of oak at the weekend. Probably wont get around to burning it until next winter though. Got the big kit on it as didn't fancy scrambling around in a ditch full of brambles, but it was a tad warm!

Firewood

Did fire up the wood burner last night and after 30 mins regretted that decision ... was roasting, and that was only burning some softwood DIY off-cuts!

Soldato
Now I know why it's same price -Only about 3/4 of the logs this time.

Now got to spend a few days sorting -splitting and stacking this load. - Some will fit my small stove but a lot won't -right length but too big in diam.

That store is a bit narrow and long.

tTsvpCr.jpg

4FzofhM.jpg

5x2YnrI.jpg

D8gZ7ay.jpg

Soldato
Well, that sucks.

I’ve been to visit a very local wood provider today - seasoned wood cut to 33cm lengths for €67 a stere (as much wood as will fit inside a 1 cubic metre box). Wood looked great and the chaps were very friendly despite looking like ZZ Top members and living in a ramshackle farmhouse that could have been the set for every hillybilly cannibal horror flick ever made.

Soldato
All done and stacked - I didn't think that load would fill that narrow log store but it has with bit left over - I was expecting to fill my trailer as well - But if it had been the same amount as I had with the first load it would be in the trailer.

Just finished before the rain starts - It's quite black over Bill's mothers

Associate
IMG-20211009-190654.jpg

Topped the wood store up at the weekend ready for winter, if it ever arrives! Still getting through all the old floorboards etc from the renovation but that's about all of it now. Got some nice oak under a tarp ready to go

IMG-20211003-180345.jpg

Associate
You don’t want to cover firewood fully like that as there will be no air circulation through the logs and the dew/condensation forming under the tarp will be absorbed by the wood.

They are already dry, its open at the back, and it will probably be 2 years before I even get to it. It will also absorb less dew than getting rained on all winter!

Associate
That’s exactly what I thought when I stacked and covered my first wood pile. I hope you have better like than I did.

Been doing it like that for nearly 40 years on the farm with no issues .....

It doesn't get burnt straight from under the cover, it gets cut and split then left in the wood store all summer before burning.

Back
Top Bottom