Lining paper to cover cracks?

Associate
We had some work done around 12 months ago and new plastering in the hallway etc and we have some cracks in the plaster. I have filled these and re painted but they just re-appear as the cracks are appearing next to the front door for example. There must be a slight bit of movement from the front door closing that's causing these hairline cracks to appear. The other cracks are similar in that I can see what is likely causing them.

I'm wondering if lining paper might be the best way to fix this and wondered if anyone has done similar?

Soldato
There might be someone who can recommend a good Flexi filler but all the ones I have tried the cracks have returned

For lining paper and for hair line cracks if you have a Wilkinson near by they do different thicknesses and you would only need the thinnest I would imagine, I used the thickest because my house is made of cheese and it's been very good and was easy to apply and line up etc their paste is good too

Man of Honour
What did you fill it with previously?

Red Devil filler is the one that always gets recommended on here, very easy to use and doesn't shrink.

https://www.toolstation.com/red-devil-onetime-ready-mixed-filler/p88654

No clue if lining paper will work but you're literally papering over the cracks! :D I'd look for where the movement might be occurring, rake out the cracks and fill with something flexible like expanding foam then skim over with some easifill for larger cracks, or red devil for the smaller ones.

Soldato
Are you properly preparing the cracks before filling? They need to be properly raked out with a Stanley knife then filled with a flexible filler. Always looks a complete mess once raked out but as yet I've not had any cracks return.

Back
Top Bottom