Game reviewers who to listen to?

Associate
ACG

&

Skillup

Used to like WAB - but hes just so automatically negative now about everything that isnt an indie RTS/tower defence game.

Soldato
WorthABuy from time to time even though he does whine like a child.

I do pause and switch off the moment he mentions controllers, and console ports though because it is clear he has an issue with them and he doesn't half go on about it. He needs to learn that the planet has moved on from the 80's where he clearly grew up gaming in like myself. All these 'helping hands' in games like X-Ray vision etc are just the norm for todays kids who need hand holding - he has a choice in using them. He has valid points a lot of the time, but he has flawed ones too ie slating Witcher3 for a lot of reasons.

I find a lot of these reviewers too cringey, or they have long intros that just make me immediately skip the first few mins. Don't forget to smash that like button, but before you do - heres a word from our sponsor! GTFO

Man of Honour
Came in here to see how many people liked and disliked worthabuy, can confirm left satisfied.

I find him very tiresome, after having enjoyed him for a long time.

Soldato
he whines and rings the bell too much like a spoilt child.

the novelty wore off really fast with me.

Not often I'll agree with arknor on something but what he said.

I don't go to one place when it comes to reviews, if I do look for reviews (which isn't often) it's usually a consensus I'll go for rather than an individual because I'm never always going to agree with 1 persons opinion every time.

Soldato
I subscribe to both PC Gamer and Edge gaming magazines, it's where I find a lot of smaller games that would have otherwise gone under my radar. As for reviews close to a games release, I'll just check out a few random youtube reviews and get a general feel from those reviews combined, listening to 1 or 2 people is never really a good thing as they can be bias without realising.

However, if I'm interested in a game, I'll just buy it anyway and try it out, if it's on Steam, theres no hard in refunding after an hour of play.

Soldato
Maybe Skillup, ACG and RPS, off the top of my head, but that depends. I don't usually trust anyone but if I have to I tend to gravitate towards a select few I find more reliable.

Soldato
I find myself just wanting someone entertaining because in the end I couldn't care less about what they think of the game. I will make up my own mind.

WorthABuy is good for that but in small doses.

ne0

ne0

Associate
WorthABuy is entertaining but I can't take him seriously anymore. He's so depressing to listen to and he's become really predictable and a bit preachy.

I like SkillUp personally, seems more rounded. I also enjoy AngryJoe from time to time.

Associate
Worthabuy is still fun to listen to. ZeroPunctuation but purely for entertainment value.
But nearly everyone I watch is purely to see what the game is like to play and I make my own mind up. Natch

Man of Honour
I wouldn't listen to any of them - it can be useful to watch a couple of different ones or someone streaming and make your own mind up from what is on display - it is usually possible to get a good feel from watching.

Caporegime
I tend to rely on Eurogamer/Digital Foundry and sometimes double check metacritic, with the caveat that I know what I tend to enjoy.

Recent example - Deathloop. Didn't know anything about it until the rave reviews. I saw the recommendation on eurogamer, then saw the high score on metacritic and thought the premise was interesting and I enjoyed previous games from arkane and I like first person shooters so I bought it.

However, the Final Fantasy VII remake got decent reviews and feedback from John Linnerman at Digital Foundry, but I know I don't really like JRPGs so it wouldnt have been my cup of tea so avoided it.

Back
Top Bottom