• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
I think most people will be waiting to get a look at Intel’s ARC graphics cards and Zen 3D.

AMD Zen 3D plus an Intel ARC GPU might be the way to go in Q1.

Soldato
Yeah, I think a lot of people will be waiting a while to upgrade their CPUs again.

There's no urgent need to upgrade, I think my 10700KF will be good for a while longer. Might be worth it for Zen 4, but will probably be in 2023 when I next upgrade.

The best time to upgrade is often when new consoles are released, with faster CPU cores, but the current consoles are still stuck with Zen 2 CPUs...

I think the use of APIs like Vulkan and DX12 can squeeze more life out of existing hardware.

Still no sign of what is next after DX12 ultimate... certainly nothing was planned for Windows 11. So, maybe no DX13 for several years.

Only a single vendor option, but Mantle is alive well.

Soldato
Probably worth keeping an eye on 'PS5 Pro' developments, I think Sony will be keen to build a faster PS5 as the current version is somewhat behind the Series X.

There's some talk of a Zen 3 6nm CPU + RDNA 3 console here:
https://hothardware.com/news/sony-playstation-5-6nm-refresh-coming-2022-report

Personally, I think they should plan for a Zen 4 CPU instead, but maybe Sony thinks a suped up Zen 3 CPU will be sufficient.

Soldato
Probably worth keeping an eye on 'PS5 Pro' developments, I think Sony will be keen to build a faster PS5 as the current version is somewhat behind the Series X.

There's some talk of a Zen 3 6nm CPU + RDNA 3 console here:
https://hothardware.com/news/sony-playstation-5-6nm-refresh-coming-2022-report

Personally, I think they should plan for a Zen 4 CPU instead, but maybe Sony thinks a suped up Zen 3 CPU will be sufficient.

Zen 3 is a beast upto 16 threads. I can’t see this happening though. It’s way too early for a refresh and Sony are slaughtering Microsoft in sales.

Soldato
I would have thought that DDR5 would only be worth it, if the memory controller can be run at a higher speed (ideally 1:1), with substantially higher RAM frequencies.

Running the memory controller at 1:1 might not be possible until later CPU generations (13th or 14th gen?).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a bit puzzled why anyone would buy something that requires the memory controller to run at half the speed of 1:1, or possibly even slower than this. It's a pretty serious design flaw in Rocket lake and Alder Lake imo.

I suppose there will be plenty of people who aren't aware what this relatively new gear BIOS setting means in practice, perhaps Intel would prefer not to draw attention to it.

Lets hope there's plenty of DDR4 boards to choose from.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s worth if you need greater density. 128gb on a 2 slot ITX 32 core workstation with 4x40bit bus. Totally doable with DDR5.

2tb of RAM on a 4 slot desktop, easy. 32tb on a 2P server? No problem.

Soldato
It might explain the rumours of a 13th generation release (Raptor Lake?) at the end of 2022, if Intel can improve the memory controllers by that point.

I wonder if there's any word about Quad channel memory support yet, for any Alder Lake or Zen 4 motherboards?

Soldato
What's the max DDR4 RAM frequency that can run at gear 1 on Comet Lake CPUs?

Can you run DDR4 5000mhz on Comet Lake yet?

There's quite an interesting article here, that compares gear 1 and gear 2 memory controller speeds (on Rocket Lake CPUs), running with different RAM frequencies:
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/intel-memory-gear-1-vs-gear-2-pc-gaming/

At higher game settings, higher speed RAM (that has to be run at gear 2) doesn't really offer any performance benefit, because of the slower memory controller speed.

Presumably, you might even lose (a bit) of performance on DDR5, because of the much higher timings on DDR5.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can 5000 on decent DDR4. Not sure what coffee lake could run. I don’t think there would be much point running past 4000 unless you want an IGP record.

Soldato
What for though? The RAM timings will have to increase and probably the gear setting too.

You'd need to buy higher speed DDR5, I think, assuming the RAM timings aren't much different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom