Massive FPS drops

Associate
Hi there,

While playing Fortnite, I get really bad FPS drops. If I'm playing at 60fps, I often drop to the 40s and occasionally as low as the 20s. I've tried a bunch of things:
  • update nvidia drivers
  • uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers
  • lowered my Fortnite settings
  • remove Discord overlay
  • close all other apps apart from Fortnite
  • change FPS rate (between 60 and 144)
  • optimised settings in nvidia control panel for Fortnite
  • tested my graphics card on Ungine and got a result that suggests the graphics card is performing normally

I'm working with a Zotac RTX3080, ryzen 7 5800X, 16gb Corsair 3600 MHz RAM and a Corsair RM850x PSU. I have a dual monitor set up with a 144Hz primary Asus monitor and a 60Hz secondary hp monitor.

Everyone I've asked is telling me it'll just be some sneaky setting that needs calibrated properly, but I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Soldato
what resolution? if 1080/1440 max every setting in fortnight a 5800x is still a bottleneck to a 3080.
this will put more pressure on the GPU & give CPU more time to breath

seems silly but check your running in fullscreen mode (or test with 1 monitor connected)
i've had a issue where the screens in windows properties were so close the game window overlapped both screens & it was switching between 120hz to 60hz causing massive drops

turn off epic overlay or any other overlays you use (just leave msi if you want that) i had a issue where steam+ubisoft overlay caused 40fps drops

Associate
OP
what resolution? if 1080/1440 max every setting in fortnight a 5800x is still a bottleneck to a 3080.
this will put more pressure on the GPU & give CPU more time to breath

seems silly but check your running in fullscreen mode (or test with 1 monitor connected)
i've had a issue where the screens in windows properties were so close the game window overlapped both screens & it was switching between 120hz to 60hz causing massive drops

turn off epic overlay or any other overlays you use (just leave msi if you want that) i had a issue where steam+ubisoft overlay caused 40fps drops

I only play at 1080. I've just turned the EPIC overlay off - not really noticing a difference - still seems to be dropping in the same manner. I've tried a bunch of fps limits and refresh rates for my primary monitor too, but nothing seems more stable.

Soldato
Something is clearly wrong with your setup. A 3080 at 1080p should be getting over 100fps.

Are you running dx 12 or dx11 game settings? Is it just fortnite that is affected? Run some benchmark software and compare against similar systems etc

Check power settings making sure power saving settings are not running etc even inside windows display settings they is a priority for game performance.

Associate
OP
Something is clearly wrong with your setup. A 3080 at 1080p should be getting over 100fps.

Are you running dx 12 or dx11 game settings? Is it just fortnite that is affected? Run some benchmark software and compare against similar systems etc

Check power settings making sure power saving settings are not running etc even inside windows display settings they is a priority for game performance.

I haven't yet tried altering the priority for fortnite - I'll give that a shot and see how it reacts tomorrow.

I was playing on dx11 for a while and then switched to performance mode (lower quality for smoother gameplay) and am still getting the same sort of fps drops.

When I remove the limit on fps the average fps is about as high as I would expect - the problem is it's not stable. If I cap it at 144fps, for example, over the course of a single game, my average fps might be 143.5fps, however, the issue is that once or twice over the course of the game, it will noticeably stutter and drop to 40-50fps.

I've run my card against benchmark software (Ungine's Superposition) and it ranks within the spectrum of normal performance, defined by others with similar systems.

I've also set power settings to be as generous as possible in windows.

Back
Top Bottom