Good spot to live in the Uk?

I’m quite open to suggestions, we would need 2 houses 800 to 900k each.

Biggest I have 2 million quid willy waving thread of the year.

why 2 houses ?

I know that OcUK is a conservative (small 'c') forum, but even most of us here don't have 1 house of that value. Hell, my house was only bought for £70 and I still have 10 years left on my mortgage.

Rhyl? Mods must condemn.

@hurfdurf @Zefan

Here to immortalise those 2 buggers :p

Caporegime
Op have you considered Norfolk? Loads of lovely villages and scenic walks and obviously Norwich for hospitals.

House prices don't quite attract the Cotswolds or Lakes premiums either.

P.S. try and ignore the envious people in here. It's a shame that people aren't impressed rather than jealous. When I see people with nice things it makes me want to work harder to get it too, but I guess for some it just makes them bitter by reminding them of their poor life choices.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Op have you considered Norfolk? Loads of lovely villages and scenic walks and obviously Norwich for hospitals.

House prices don't quite attract the Cotswolds or Lakes premiums either.
Whilst I'm a big advocate of advertising Norfolk because it's lovely, it struggles in the A&E department. The NNUH just outside Norwich is fine, but the other A&Es in the area are all a good 30-40 minutes away - James Paget at Gt Yarmouth is okay, A&E has good people in it; and the Queen Elizabeth at Kings Lynn which needs torching and is half falling down itself anyway.

That aside, you could buy a lot for that money and still stay central, or go a little further out and get a good chunk of land too. Also some very good private and public schools in and around Norwich that are all easy to get to. And being 30-40 minutes from the beautiful coast is fantastic. Worth a good look into, provided you can put up with the local drawl :D

Soldato
If you're after lots of space for a budget of 800-900 then you'll likely need to completely leave the south and look at the Midlands or the North.

Depending on how much "space" is the requirement - are we talking garden/land, or a house with big rooms/lots of rooms. You might need to consider purchasing outside of a main city and look for somewhere with good transport links.

I.e. Here in South Manchester in the affluent areas 800-900k would get you a modest sized (5 bedroom / 4 floors / Victorian styled property), with a reasonable sized garden too. But if you're looking for a big garden then you pretty much need to exclude living within close proximity to a city.

Man of Honour
Whilst I'm a big advocate of advertising Norfolk because it's lovely, it struggles in the A&E department. The NNUH just outside Norwich is fine, but the other A&Es in the area are all a good 30-40 minutes away - James Paget at Gt Yarmouth is okay, A&E has good people in it; and the Queen Elizabeth at Kings Lynn which needs torching and is half falling down itself anyway.

That aside, you could buy a lot for that money and still stay central, or go a little further out and get a good chunk of land too. Also some very good private and public schools in and around Norwich that are all easy to get to. And being 30-40 minutes from the beautiful coast is fantastic. Worth a good look into, provided you can put up with the local drawl :D
My brother lives in King's Lynn and they find the Queen Elizabeth hospital fine. The care they gave my mum when she was dying was tremendous. When I was visiting I thought it seemed a great hospital apart from the difficult parking at busy times (which most hospitals have).

Soldato
My little one is 3 now and as much as I like living in zone 2 it’s time to think about moving to somewhere with a little more space.

I’m quite open to suggestions, we would need 2 houses 800 to 900k each
(Taking my child care with me lol) ideally close to good independent schools, nice town with good shops, coffee shops and restaurants and nice places to walk and at least 2 A&Es not too far away.

I looked at Chichester and Royal Tunbridge Wells which are both nice and house prices are not terrible.

Any other suggestions? There seem to be nice houses around Cambridgeshire.

Chichester is lovely, but it’s very busy traffic wise and not so well connected into London.

Guildford would be a better alternative for your needs.

West Sussex offers some great value villages/towns, and the weather is, on the whole, very nice.

I’d recommend visiting Chichester to get a feel for what it’s like :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
My brother lives in King's Lynn and they find the Queen Elizabeth hospital fine. The care they gave my mum when she was dying was tremendous. When I was visiting I thought it seemed a great hospital apart from the difficult parking at busy times (which most hospitals have).
Oh the staff are absolutely top draw, as are a lot of NHS staff. The upper management leaves a lot to be desired and the actual building itself is in disrepair though and literally propped up with scaffold in parts!

Soldato
@Dr House

I would suggest the Hampshire, Wiltshire, East Dorset area.

Some of your criteria make it challenging re hospital access and schools.

It depends what your property expectations are but for example around the East Dorset area you can get good sized 2000-3000sqft+ properties in budget, still have 2 hospitals close by, good communication links (A31 / Regular 2hr trains to London Waterloo / Southampton Airport), good private schools etc etc.

There are pockets in the Hampshire/Wiltshire Ringwood - Salisbury - Winchester - Fair Oak - Northern Southampton regions too but hospital access isn't always as easy.

Back
Top Bottom