Good spot to live in the Uk?

Caporegime
Soldato
#Solihull. There are some surrounding villages which are absolutely lovely, plus you're right next to Brum for that city life. Or even Stratford-Upon-Avon and its surrounding villages, lovely areas.

Also your kids would grow up in a multicultural environment, aspects of city life but in a safe setting and avoid becoming country bumpkins.
Right next to Brum? Solihull is Brum. :p

Man of Honour
**** man, I got jackets that cost more than her house!? Inflation is a bitch!

While that's true, you get paid rather a lot more than she did at the time. I don't recall what she got paid back then, but I know my father was on £250 a year around the same time and that was considered good money. The ratio of housing costs to income has become a lot worse since then, but not by as much as the startling difference in house prices would lead people to initially think.

It's also a bit concerning if you look further back - the change in the last 50 years has been far greater than the change in the previous ~1000 years. Inflation is compound.

Soldato
What's the need for 2 A+E's? I get the reason for wanting to be near 1, but why 2? I'm guessing based on your name it might be work related.

What sort of requirements are you looking for in the house? 900k could buy you a shed with loads of land in the middle of nowhere, or could also buy you a 6 bedroom apartment in the middle of town.

Is he an ambulance chaser? ;)

I could recommend Cheltenham, preferably around the Landsdowne area, you might struggle with £900k, but there is an A&E at Cheltenham, and 9 miles away in Gloucester..

Cheltenham, as it states, is "The gateway to the cotswolds".. and is nicely situated on the M5 with a good access link to the M4 (A419) so quite good when you want to travel anywhere..

Plus, it's got a fair whack of private schools, boarding and non-boarding..

Soldato
#Solihull. There are some surrounding villages which are absolutely lovely, plus you're right next to Brum for that city life in case you fancy getting stabbed. Or even Stratford-Upon-Avon and its surrounding villages, lovely areas.

Also your kids would grow up in a multicultural environment, aspects of city life but in a safe setting and avoid becoming country bumpkins.

Fixed that for you!

I'd avoid the Midlands unless you have no choice due to work.

I'd second any suggestions for Bath/Bristol

Soldato
You should probably be looking at the schools you want the kids at such an help you decide on location.
Are they day students or there for the term?
Are you and your better half transferring your jobs or staying put?

Soldato
While that's true, you get paid rather a lot more than she did at the time. I don't recall what she got paid back then, but I know my father was on £250 a year around the same time and that was considered good money. The ratio of housing costs to income has become a lot worse since then, but not by as much as the startling difference in house prices would lead people to initially think.

It's also a bit concerning if you look further back - the change in the last 50 years has been far greater than the change in the previous ~1000 years. Inflation is compound.

£400 in 1950 would be £14,016.97 today (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator)

Bristol / Bath was always popular with Londoners, thats why it has become so damn expensive.

Soldato
#Solihull. There are some surrounding villages which are absolutely lovely, plus you're right next to Brum for that city life. Or even Stratford-Upon-Avon and its surrounding villages, lovely areas.

S on A has quite poor infrastructure surprisingly, and no A & E.

Caporegime
Move to the north east you can get a good house for 900k, saudi investment and rich footballers are coming some house prices will probably soar in value :p

You can drive for 15minutes from the city centre in almost any direction and find a rural village too

Back
Top Bottom