Anyone non-panic buying?

Soldato
Tuesday is shopping day.
Been to Aldi -Lidl and Morrisons.
Full shelves in Aldi/Lidl and no one in either -
Morrisons is fully stacked and two cars on pumps.
Panic bought 5 Brownies from Lidl - cut them in half and wrap with cling film - stick em in freezer and have one a day.

That has been good part of day - off shortly to eye hospital for another injection :)

Soldato
Just got a Tesco shop delivered, for the first time in over a year everything came! Toilet roll, water, even the Christmas goose that I was sure wasn't going to come! Well pleasantly surprised, must be nowhere near as bad as the papers are making it out to be.

Local shops are all stocked, seems to be the media, Daily mail in particular trying to start the panic buying.

Caporegime
Probably gonna buy a bit more.
Did last time and was glad if it as when it did get trickier there was no issue.

Definitely stocking up in chicken feed. Can't even chance running out of that

Soldato
Pre ordered turkey and other things such as version haunch last week.

Anyone who doesn’t pre order turkeys either from supermarkets, butchers or farm shops and expect to get one in the supermarkets, will be very disappointed. There’s always one that comes in half an hour before my work closes on Xmas Eve, asking if we got any turkeys in. I can see having very few in. My work gives us the same days off as per normal. I won’t be listening to customers saying that their Christmas is ‘ruined’ as we got no turkeys in, as my last day before Christmas is 22/12.

Think supermarkets with a pre order Christmas food service, will be prioritising these customers who pre ordered over those who don’t.

Anyone who goes on social media or moans at shop staff that their Christmas is ‘ruined’ as got no turkey, don’t seem to care/think that many people won’t be sitting at the table eating Christmas dinner. As maybe homeless, in hospital, working or simply can’t afford the big meal.

Soldato
don't know what the problem is. My fortnum and masons fortnightly hampers have been arriving with zero subs. My Panama Emerelda Special COffee beans have never run out of stock, but then I guess that's because the peasants can't afford to panic buy them at £60/125g. Nothing better than drinking that coffee and then washing it down with a nice bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee.

Those Chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies are flipping amazing through. I reserve getting those as a special treat

Associate
Yeah, I don't stock up on frozen food because as you say if you have a power cut for more than 48hrs it's all useless.

48 hrs + powercut ?....perhaps if you live in a remote area/end of the network. Have only seen maybe a 1 or 2 hour powercut in 20 years but I do live in a large county town.

Keep well stocked freezer......elderly freezer packed up in March (well over due for replacement) Was able to get replacement delivered within 24 hours (Appliance Direct) & simply sealed the old freezer to prevent loss. Picked up a couple of bags of party ice from the supermarket to keep the cool fridge temp topped up. All food was good:)

Soldato
When living in a village in Kent we probably had 4 power outages in 3 years one was less than a hour, two were about 6 hours and one was 48 hours. For that one I had to get the generator out to keep the chest freezer frozen. *****'s tried to steal the pole mounted transformer.

In the UK long term outages are unlikely in towns and cities because industry will be closed down preferentially but short term disruptions like 2019 have to be more likely.

Caporegime
don't know what the problem is. My fortnum and masons fortnightly hampers have been arriving with zero subs. My Panama Emerelda Special COffee beans have never run out of stock, but then I guess that's because the peasants can't afford to panic buy them at £60/125g. Nothing better than drinking that coffee and then washing it down with a nice bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee.

Fortnum and Mason hamper delivered last week checking in. No issues as you say. Albeit it was dispatched as two separate orders rather than one so got it as two separate deliveries.

Soldato
There's been lots of gaps on the shelves in all of the supermarkets I've been going to for quite some time now. Popped into a large Asda whilst I was in Grantham yesterday, which is about ~30 miles from home and it was just the same, especially with the fresh salad and veg, not used to it being so sparse here in Lincs before!

They did have french mustard though, which seems to have disappeared around my way.

Back
Top Bottom