• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

LHR fully 100% unlocked now - expect GPU prices to rise

Soldato
How much you pay per month is largely irrelevant - they must have grossly underestimated your monthly usage 2 years ago and now you are overpaying to pay off the debt you accrued. 2 years ago I was paying 12p~ per kwh, now I'm paying 14.8p, that's an increase of 22%, not the 300-400% you are claiming. For 4 people living full time (we work from home and homeschool) in a 4 bedroom house we pay about £30 a week, so £120~ per month for Gas AND Electric, including mining... I have no godly idea what you can possibly be doing that would require £80 just for electric per month in a flat. I think you need to get a smart meter.

Already asked multiple times but since the pandemic started they are making every excuse under the sun not to fit one.

The point being, you are obviously taking a number you don't really understand and applying it to another situation you don't really understand and then calling that a conclusion, which it really isn't.

No. I do understand it, My electricity company are crap and they are using any power usage it seems to put the price up by a fairly big margin so I don't want to give them an excuse to put the price up even more, There is definitely something wrong as I'm paying the same as the family of 3 across the hall from me and they have TV's, Computers, Consoles blaring at all hours and I don't use anywhere near as much as they do.

I was going to reply to his post but it looks like he will never get it.

No trust me I do get it, I don't want to mine right now as for me to accrue £3 per 24 hours would actually be close to 2+ weeks of "mining"... for £3, Due to the way I use my rig, It's not worth it with my current situation, When I have a more optimal situation in the new year that will change.

Yah, the figure he claims is over 24hours , that could mean mining over 3days for that, if you just turn it on at night so his calculations are wrong and more like £30 a month for all that risk.

For a full 24 hours of mining I'd actually be looking at maybe 2 hours per day mining and it would take roughly 12 days to get £3, Not worth it.

Aside from the crappy electric company the reason I switch off the electrics at night is the wiring in this place was done by cowboys, I've seen sparks fly out of the kettle, Toaster and microwave plug sockets and even got a shock turning on the frontroom light, Leaving something on overnight that continually draws hundreds of watts is a gamble I don't want to take.

When I move at the beginning of March and am with a different electricity company I may look into mining overnight when I'm in bed but not right now with my current flat and electric company situation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are people really this short-sighted? "Only" £3 a day? Aka £1100 a year AND you still have the GPU (+years of warranty). But that's not worth it? Just wow. :eek:
At what cost to the planet and everything else, tho?

All the extra cards that have to be made. The minerals that have to be mined. The plastic used. All the extra power that must be generated to solve arbitrary math problems. At precisely the time we're supposed to be cutting emissions and all that jazz.

Crypto mining certainly won't help our efforts to be greener, no matter how you look at it.

Permabanned
Yah, my electricity bill is already sky high, like £1500 plus a year and I am careful with usage, with a small household. An LHR card would still put miners off as you can still buy them.

Soldato
No. I do understand it, My electricity company are crap and they are using any power usage it seems to put the price up by a fairly big margin so I don't want to give them an excuse to put the price up even more, There is definitely something wrong as I'm paying the same as the family of 3 across the hall from me and they have TV's, Computers, Consoles blaring at all hours and I don't use anywhere near as much as they do.

No. This paragraph proves beyond doubt that you still really don't get it. You need to check your contract and your account credit/debit. Either they were under charging for a long time and you are now covering that debt, or they are charging you 40p per kWh (and need to change your supplier urgently), or you are massively in credit and can claim a refund.

They aren't "putting your price up" as that's covered by your contract, and everyone looks at how much the contract states per kWh, surely. They can increase your direct debit to cover a historical shortfall though, and to cover what they think you are going to be using through winter, but if it ends up too much you can claim a refund. What they can't do is just arbitrarily increase how much you pay per kWh, unless you forgot to sign up to a fixed tariff.

If you want to work out mining profitability you use the p/kWh price from your contract, not some arbitrary direct debit amount that you seem to think means you are paying a lot.

Last edited:
Soldato
No. This paragraph proves beyond doubt that you still really don't get it. You need to check your contract and your account credit/debit. Either they were under charging for a long time and you are now covering that debt, or they are charging you 40p per kWh (and need to change your supplier urgently), or you are massively in credit and can claim a refund.

They aren't "putting your price up" as that's covered by your contract, and everyone looks at how much the contract states per kWh, surely. They can increase your direct debit to cover a historical shortfall though, and to cover what they think you are going to be using through winter, but if it ends up too much you can claim a refund. What they can't do is just arbitrarily increase how much you pay per kWh, unless you forgot to sign up to a fixed tariff.

If you want to work out mining profitability you use the p/kWh price from your contract, not some arbitrary direct debit amount that you seem to think means you are paying a lot.

/le sigh....

I was away for 4 months a few months ago, In another country, And in that time that I was away my energy price went up, Meaning there is something wrong..... or I have a poltergeist who is secretly mining in the loft.

Permabanned
/le sigh....

I was away for 4 months a few months ago, In another country, And in that time that I was away my energy price went up, Meaning there is something wrong..... or I have a poltergeist who is secretly mining in the loft.

Energy companies charge hefty amounts as far as I know. Some have good deals, but I'd imaging running a PC, laptop , TV and small items in as a single person will cost £60-£100, monthly, but the Energy company might quote less and get a shock when you see the increased bill.

They know mining is on the rise and also want their cut...cough

Caporegime
OP
Yah, my electricity bill is already sky high, like £1500 plus a year and I am careful with usage, with a small household. An LHR card would still put miners off as you can still buy them.

I take it you have electric heating and or electric showers?

If I was to sell all my smart home stuff. And all my mining gear my electric bill is £20 a month.

This is for a 3 bed detached.

Thanks to smart home, security like cctv running all day, etc. I have a crap load of gadgets it's now around £50-£60 a month.

I have for instance an unraid server with 7-8 drives running 24/7. Several access points. Several switches and literally every gadget imaginable. Just got a robot hoover the other day too for instance. Your electric bill doesn't sound right unless you have electric heating and electric showers.

Soldato

If I was to sell all my smart home stuff. And all my mining gear my electric bill is £20 a month.

Thanks to smart home, security like cctv running all day, etc. I have a crap load of gadgets it's now around £50-£60 a month.

I have for instance an unraid server with 7-8 drives running 24/7. Several access points. Several switches and literally every gadget imaginable. Just got a robot hoover the other day too for instance. Your electric bill doesn't sound right unless you have electric heating and electric showers.

If you don't mind me asking which provider are you with ? I have a computer, Monitor, Router and fridge that continually use electricity, Nothing else and I switch everything off at night, Minus the fridge. Cooker, Heater and boiler are all gas, No shower only an old fashioned bath.

Last edited:
Soldato
/le sigh....

Again, your price didn't go up (unless you changed contracts), not sure why you are struggling with this, what they take on your DD has no direct connection to what mining would cost you, if they are taking too much on your DD then you can claim it back, your contract p/kWh is what you use to calculate mining cost/profit. But there is absolutely no way you were paying a third per kWh 2 years ago to now, because that either means you were paying 3-4p per kWh 2 years ago (impossible) or you were paying market rate (12p) and now they are charging you 36p more, neither of which makes sense.

You don't seem to be able to tell the difference between statement balance, price per kWh and direct debit taken. DD can go up by 3 times if they were taking too little, but the other 2 can't triple in 2 years if your usage is the same.

Caporegime
OP
If you don't mind me asking which provider are you with ? I have a computer, Monitor, Router and fridge that continually use electricity, Nothing else and I switch everything off at night, Cooker, Heater and boiler are all gas.

E-On but that doesn't matter.

I have a fridge freezer too but they literally use nothing once they are down to the temp and I have mine both on coldest settings possible.

I do however have the most energy efficient devices wherever possible.

All my lights are led, I have a new modern gas central heating pump the old one used 200w the new one only 40w. All showers are gas central heating. All heating is gas too. I have an electric oven, air fryer, microwave, coffee machine, kettle, baby prep machine, dishwasher, washer and a dryer, etc basically everything and more.

I have a ton of gadgets. I have 6 screens, 3 laptops, 4 tablets, 2 phone, etc.

What uses most amount of electric is old inefficient devices and heating air or water. Heating air or water includes things like tumble dryers, kettle, hair dryer, dishwasher, etc. Electric showers are a killer as is kettles and hair dryers.

Running a fridge freezer for a day is probably equivalent to boiling a full kettle for instance. That's how expensive it is to heat air or water. Washers, tumble dryers and dishwasher are big consumers too. It's why we before the wee man was born air dried all our clothes I actually gave my tumble dryer away for free on gumtree. Bought a new one 4 years later when the wee man was born.

Soldato

I have a fridge freezer too but they literally use nothing once they are down to the temp and I have mine both on coldest settings possible.

All my lights are led, I have a new modern gas central heating pump the old one used 200w the new one only 40w. All showers are gas central heating. All heating is gas too. I have an electric oven, air fryer, microwave, coffee machine, kettle, baby prep machine, dishwasher, washer and a dryer, etc basically everything and more.

What uses most amount of electric is old inefficient devices and heating air or water. Heating air or water includes things like tumble dryers, kettle, hair dryer, dishwasher, etc. Electric showers are a killer as is kettles and hair dryers

Definitely something wonky going on then, I'm guessing somethings gotten mixed up and they are doing estimated, Like Th0nt said a few comments back, Which is bumping the price up.

My showering I do in work along with my laundry, Private gym for the win XD So that amount of electricity isn't being used, Drinks I only have water so no boiling of water.

Caporegime
OP
Definitely something wonky going on then, I'm guessing somethings gotten mixed up and they are doing estimated, Like Th0nt said a few comments back, Which is bumping the price up.

Is every single one of the lights in your home LED?

If not get down to Screwfix and buy the cheapest led for every socket. It's going to cost you £50-£200 up front but will save £200 in the first year.

Soldato

What uses most amount of electric is old inefficient devices and heating air or water. Heating air or water includes things like tumble dryers, kettle, hair dryer, dishwasher, etc. Electric showers are a killer as is kettles and hair dryers.

Running a fridge freezer for a day is probably equivalent to boiling a full kettle for instance. That's how expensive it is to heat air or water. Washers, tumble dryers and dishwasher are big consumers too. It's why we before the wee man was born air dried all our clothes I actually gave my tumble dryer away for free on gumtree. Bought a new one 4 years later when the wee man was born.

Yeah we have LED lights throughout. The only incandescent we have are a couple of little tiny bulbs that use their heat to melt candle wax for the girls sented candle things, which I've already complained about. :) When I've bought any white goods I always check its efficiency and sound level output. We have a heat pump tumble dryer which I know still rinses the elec and we use a lot for our large household, but at least it's better than the old style and has large capacity. We also have a hot tap which I've logged using smart plugs and done the maths. Due to the way we used to stupidly use our old kettle (several people constantly boiling and forgetting they boiled then reboiling throughout the day) it works out cheaper to have a hot tap which we turn off over night and it just trickle tops itself up throughout the day. I would happily pay a slighlt premium for the convenience too anyway. You definitely need to go after the big guns first. There is no use chasing turning off TVs already in standby to save a couple of watts, when your teenage daughter takes 25 minute long electric showers. ;) Use common sense.

I do have a couple of smart routines to turn off older TVs that don't have auto off, at like 1am. Things like that. I'm also acutely aware how much it costs to use my electric oil heater in my shed/office. But with the price of timber currently and the cost to rebuild it properly and insulate, I'm ok with using the heater on a smart plug to pop it on a couple of tactical times a day to keep it warm enough.

I have an unraid server too. I used to have an efficient but weak one about 50watt idle Intel system. Then I decided that since I had a full on rig that I often had booted as well, I combined my desktop PC into an all in one hybrid unraid server with virtual gaming VM. It's a fully loaded 5900x system and idles around 100w. Ryzen is a little disappointing on the idle front, but under load is very efficient.

Soldato
Is every single one of the lights in your home LED?

If not get down to Screwfix and buy the cheapest led for every socket. It's going to cost you £50-£200 up front but will save £200 in the first year.

Yep, All are LED but even then I very rarely have any lights on, The bathroom is pretty close to my bedroom/office so if I need to visit the gents and I'm working at night I just keep the door open so I can see where I'm going by using the light from the monitor, Same with the kitchen, That's pretty close so if I want a drink of water I just keep the door open instead of turning on the main big light.

Even my showering I do in work along with my laundry and drying, Private gym for the win :D So that amount of electricity isn't being used, Drinks I only have water so no boiling of water for teas or coffee.

Honestly everything I can do to save power I do which is why my bill doesn't make sense when there's a family across the hall that has been paying 60 quid per month for the last year or so according to the husband and they have multiple consoles, PC's, TV's and various gadgets that are on at all hours of the day.

Permabanned

That's incredible, well in London that's what I expected for a bill but every time it comes it's 3 to 4 times that just for the electric not even including gas.You must be really lucky. I don't even bother turning on the gas heating anymore. Nothings really on just TV, PC, Charger, bulbs and washer here and there. But the Electric bill always comes more than £60.

I'm with E-On as well and the bill seem to have gone up.

Soldato
I personally dont feel its worth it when mining a 3090 is £3 a day profit at the moment, it might be to others but not for me.

It was great earlier in the year when it was hitting £15-20 a day and i was well on board with running my pc 24 hours to get the benefit off that.

Each to their own though.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Honestly everything I can do to save power I do which is why my bill doesn't make sense when there's a family across the hall that has been paying 60 quid per month for the last year or so according to the husband and they have multiple consoles, PC's, TV's and various gadgets that are on at all hours of the day.

Maybe your being billed on the wrong meter?

Back
Top Bottom