• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just when you thought Digital Foundry's credibility could not get any lower, have a look at this.

What's wrong with this picture? Answers on a postcard, spoiler, there's a lot lot wrong.
VXNTPjV.jpg
@Poneros

:D

Why is the AMD side missing a tree?

by the way look at the speedo on the 3080 image

Associate
10GB is just not enough.. I'm quite close to that amount when playing games on my AW3821DW with the RTX 3080 - Hope newer games are a bit more optimised to drop the RAM usage..

Soldato
Wow those textures are nasty on the 3080. The speedo in particular looks 1999 quality, but it's everywhere, the road, the bonnet, the hat, probably more as I'm looking at this on a phone.
If DF didnt mention it that's terrible journalism.
They did mention texture loading problems on Nvidia later in the video (I don't think they told us whether this happens on a 3090 too, I suspect not due to the extra VRAM). They didn't specifically reference it in that car benchmark scene though, although they made it very clear there are huge issues with textures on Nvidia.

Associate
They did mention texture loading problems on Nvidia later in the video (I don't think they told us whether this happens on a 3090 too, I suspect not due to the extra VRAM). They didn't specifically reference it in that car benchmark scene though, although they made it very clear there are huge issues with textures on Nvidia.

I've had this issue on my 3080 at 1440p i.e. well within the VRAM budget. Seems to only happen with the texture pack on - the most noticeable being in the car where the speed renders like pixel art but everything else is fine (doesn't happen on any other vehicle).

Soldato
I wonder if something like direct storage would be useful in situations like this?

Stream the textures from disk in 'real time'.

Nope. Else you'd see the PS5 and new Xbox with less than 16GB shared RAM/VRAM.

VRAM requirements will increase steadily each year, simply due to the doubling of RAM/VRAM with the new consoles.

Associate
Nope. Else you'd see the PS5 and new Xbox with less than 16GB shared RAM/VRAM.

VRAM requirements will increase steadily each year, simply due to the doubling of RAM/VRAM with the new consoles.

Can't really say that about DS since it isn't out yet and the new consoles are. They can't say to consumers "just wait a year or so and you'll get better performance from this upcoming tech".

Who knows whether in practice it'll allow the cards to be more efficient with their VRAM.

Soldato
Just when you thought Digital Foundry's credibility could not get any lower, have a look at this.

What's wrong with this picture? Answers on a postcard, spoiler, there's a lot lot wrong.
VXNTPjV.jpg
@Poneros

:D

How's the game stability so far? I'm waiting to see if it needs another patch or two before I jump in, want to do a month of uplay+ and finish it & all valhalla DLC.

Caporegime
Permabanned
No, it isn't enough. It is actually so bad for Nvidia, that it made its partners remove the 10 GB advertising on the cards' boxes :D
It is now hidden on the side walls of the boxes.

Instead, it markets "4-year warranty". 4 years my backside :D

Soldato
No, it isn't enough. It is actually so bad for Nvidia, that it made its partners remove the 10 GB advertising on the cards' boxes :D
It is now hidden on the side walls of the boxes.

Instead, it markets "4-year warranty". 4 years my backside :D

A few guys on techpowerup trying to claim the more VRAM is nonsense, but I am seeing first hand in ff7 remake that it isnt, dev's have been hacking games to make it work by constantly flushing and reloading textures due to lack of VRAM, and its made worse in ff7 remake as that is dumping non graphical data in VRAM an inheritance from the PS5 code. That game needs 3 gig of VRAM just to get to the title menu.

I also think it was mentioned on here that reviews needs to also check quality not just fps as low VRAM can lead to lower quality textures been streamed in.

Associate
A few guys on techpowerup trying to claim the more VRAM is nonsense, but I am seeing first hand in ff7 remake that it isnt, dev's have been hacking games to make it work by constantly flushing and reloading textures due to lack of VRAM, and its made worse in ff7 remake as that is dumping non graphical data in VRAM an inheritance from the PS5 code. That game needs 3 gig of VRAM just to get to the title menu.

I also think it was mentioned on here that reviews needs to also check quality not just fps as low VRAM can lead to lower quality textures been streamed in.
I don’t know about FF7 as I tried the game both on my 10GB 3080 desktop and 16GB 3080 laptop and stuttering is much worse on the 16GB laptop GPU despite GPU usage not being maxed out.

Caporegime

I've mentioned several times in this thread that there are a few different behaviours that may be seen when running short of video memory. The behaviour you see depends on the game in question and other factors. FPS should be monitored, image quality, and frame times of 0.1% and 1% lows.

I think those things are known by anyone with a modicum of intelligence. Obviously, that does not apply to everyone. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom