*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I found Windows 11 features list showed Windows 10 will not have DirectStorage.
Classic Microsoft with their conflicting information. The Program Manager on the dev team says it is supported on Windows 10 1909 and higher and is now available for preview. Windows 11 does get some extra optimisation benefits though.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directstorage-developer-preview-now-available/

I suppose Microsoft could still choose not to release it for Windows 10. However, game studios are only going to spend time including support if there is a large enough user base.

Soldato
Another issue I'm having.

I like to have chrome pinned to the taskbar.
If I right-click chrome and pin it, everything looks fine, however, if I restart the computer the pinned icon is showing but the icon is the generic 'missing' icon

Screenshot-2021-10-12-103022.png

qNHxxh7

Don
Anyone know how to properly make Chrome the default? I have manually gone through the defaults and removed Edge but when I click the weather app, it will load up in Edge. I never want to see that program launch ever and had the same issue with 10. Anyone any ideas?

The news and weather app will always launch Edge and it can't be changed.

Associate
I thought as much, that's pretty bad and will stop me ever using it.

Ive also seen on a video, think it was an Austin Evans one, you have to change the default browser for so many things too. Like each file type you can open with a browser you need to go through and change each one, and even then sometimes it still opens Edge. I dont see why theyre trying to push Edge so hard.

Man of Honour
Getting a few CTD in Apex Legends. If I rejoin the game my sound is all messed up until I restart. If it's not fixed on Tuesday I'm going back to Windows 10.

Associate
It was the same with IE. It gets baked into the O/S at various points (probably due to lazy programming as much as some hidden agenda) so it can never be completely removed.
True, but the forcing of Edge and the new UI are the main things stopping me upgrading from 10 currently. The new UI isnt bad, but im just not a fan right now. I probably just need to use it and get used to it, which is why I've put it on my other/ old PC to try and get used to it first.

It took me until 2018 to even use 10 from Windows 7. Might just wait till 10 isnt supported then move over.

I lost 400 points in 3dmark but this could just be minor fluctuations. I have not noticed any significant performance drops with Windows 11 on AMD processor in any games so far. I have an Nvidia GPU though. I do get a little graphical oddness with the initial loading splash screen in Deathloop.

Just installed the latest driver from Nvidia and wow. The screen has never looked this good before. Everything is clear and looks great. Finally I am getting the benefit of my 4K Samsung TV with my desktop as well as the games.

The best way to describe it is: The web browser no longer looks like an image of a web browser displayed on a screen, it now looks like the web browser is the screen. Like it is a tangible thing rather than an image of one. I guess this is how HDR is supposed to look.

Man of Honour
Just seen in GeForce Experience that a new driver is out so am updating too :cool:

Just got these pop up on updates in windows 11

- Cumulative Update (KB5006674)

- .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 (KB5005537)

Between my last post and your post Windows Update has polled these two updates as I checked back then earlier today and there was nothing whereas now those two same updates exist!

Back
Top Bottom