i7 8700K running @5Ghz

Associate
Hi, will my CPU i7 8700k coffee lake OC to 5Ghz on all cores bottleneck a 3090fe? Mobo is the Z370 aorus ultra gaming DDR4, team group dark pro 16GB 3200hz
Thanks!

Soldato
Currently got the G9 ultraiwde at 5120x1440 I think it is but also debating adding a G7 27” 2560x1440 either side in the future

That is a lot of pixels. You might run into issues running mixed resolutions/aspect ratios on Nvidia cards. The Nvidia version of eyefinity is pretty clunky. Three flat screens of the same resolution with Nvidia distortion correction would be the way to go.

The 8700K isn’t ideal with for powering RTX cards, but at that resolution you will get 95% of the performance of the RTX3090 with the 8700K.

Associate
OP
That is a lot of pixels. You might run into issues running mixed resolutions/aspect ratios on Nvidia cards. The Nvidia version of eyefinity is pretty clunky. Three flat screens of the same resolution with Nvidia distortion correction would be the way to go.

The 8700K isn’t ideal with for powering RTX cards, but at that resolution you will get 95% of the performance of the RTX3090 with the 8700K.
Yes I’ve read it can be a pain in the arse to get setup correctly. I have a feeling I’ll opt to sell the ultra wide and get 3 G7s in the 32”. Keep reading too many problems with mixed resolutions. One guy called Ryan on Facebook sim racing page has sorted (couple of others too) but he is a computer engineer type guy and does computers for a living, I have nowhere near his knowledge, I’m a simple gas engineer!

Soldato
Yes I’ve read it can be a pain in the arse to get setup correctly. I have a feeling I’ll opt to sell the ultra wide and get 3 G7s in the 32”. Keep reading too many problems with mixed resolutions. One guy called Ryan on Facebook sim racing page has sorted (couple of others too) but he is a computer engineer type guy and does computers for a living, I have nowhere near his knowledge, I’m a simple gas engineer!

It’s been a little while since I’ve tried, but yeah, didn’t work with anything other than 3 matching monitors. Shame really as a central ultra with a pair of smaller screens for peripherals would be super skookum. Nvidia should address that issue.

Associate
you will not loose much.. i have 5.2ghz capable 8700k and a 10850k @5.0
in higher res with 3070 i do not see too much of a difference..
depends on the game and scenario..
i imagine in 4k it will be marginal

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on the game as well and how well it's optimised. I think you'll see like 1 or 2% FPS loss compared to a more modern CPU at your resolution which is standard.

Back
Top Bottom