New monitor causing pc not to boot??

Associate
Hi all,
I ll try to keep this a bit straightforward because me personally it got me really perplexed

Relevant specs: Asus dark hero, 5950x, 780Ti, and upgrading to the AW2721D from an old Korean monitor (you'd remember them if you were around in 2013).

So pc was up and running, disconnected old monitor, connected the new one, all good, used the pc for a while, no issues.

Tried to re-start.

Wouldn't post. I think it was getting error 98 or something like that. Tried a few times, no bueno, sometimes it felt that it was doing a re-train of the memory and I assume it would try to get into safe mode but obviously I couldn't see anything.

Connected older korean monitor (DVI). All ok, into bios ok etc, went into windows. Re-connected the alienware one, looked ok. Restart, same issue. I did some browsing online and connected the monitor through HDMI. Shows bios and boots fine (however obviously gimped as it's an HDMI which is slower - in this case).

If I recall I tried at some point to re-connect through the DP and it wouldn't hang on the error anymore and did get to windows (still wouldn't show bios), and even though it would go to the 9E code which is the final one, the VGA led light (the white one, whichever that one is) on the MB diagnostics would stay lit up.

Did some more browsing, went into bios, enabled CSM LEGACY mode, and under "Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices" I switched from Legacy to UEFI.

Restarted and then was able to see and access the bios just fine.

So my main question is basically... WHY????? I can't imagine that this is a default behaviour and I am really perplexed as to how a peripheral like a monitor can literally break a boot sequence.

Soldato
Are you using a Displayport cable with the new monitor? If so try changing the cable. Some DP cables have a pin that is live when it should not be live.

Associate
Apparently there's an issue with some Nvidia cards, UEFI and displayport 1.3 and 1.4. Search of "nvidia displayport uefi" gives a bunch of results of people having problems (I first searched for just "displayport uefi" and google helpfully suggested nvidia as well).

There's also a link to this firmware update, that supposedly addresses the issue

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Associate
OP
Apparently there's an issue with some Nvidia cards, UEFI and displayport 1.3 and 1.4. Search of "nvidia displayport uefi" gives a bunch of results of people having problems (I first searched for just "displayport uefi" and google helpfully suggested nvidia as well).

There's also a link to this firmware update, that supposedly addresses the issue

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

A lot of that issue sounds similar however... the 780Ti is a DP 1.2 card, it's also not listed in the supported product article for this.

EDIT: Seem I have misread some of it. Apparently the issue is the DP 1.3/1.4 the monitor might have, not what the output is on the card. Still my card is not supported for a permanent fix so I suspect I'd have to keep it with the bios settings I have changed until I get a new GPU (shouldn't more than a few years based on how things are going)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom