Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
I just realised, was there any mention of BT codec support? Since it's not a Qualcomm chip it won't have aptX unless Google pays them the licence fee. I heard it will support LDAC which is fine for music but for games I found aptX, particularly LL and adaptive, to be better for gaming.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Apple have an event the day before Pixel event and Samsung have an event the day fater where they will likely announce S21FE and other stuff. This is the worst case scenario for Google. The FE will undercut the Pixel 6 price I have no doubt, and Apple may well toot some new Airpods or link to the iPhone 13 in some way too so whatever Google do, even if they announce a new Chromebook, Apple have their bent over on that front anyway with their marketing praising the most powerful laptop of all laptops etc.

Will be an interesting few days for sure.

The Sony event is irrelative really. The phone won't be bought by the masses who are only interested in a Galaxy or iPhone these days. It will also almost certainly be priced in league with the Samsung and Apple flagships but not be as good for the cameras so the question remains as to who would actually buy it. Same story year after year.

Google's one trump card should hopefully be that they now have full control over the imaging chips on the Pixel 6 and as such should be able to produce unrivalled image quality so am expecting to see unmatched photos captured by Pixel 6 this time round. But then again Samsung have been working on their imaging side for a while now too so let's see what happens.

I just realised, was there any mention of BT codec support? Since it's not a Qualcomm chip it won't have aptX unless Google pays them the licence fee. I heard it will support LDAC which is fine for music but for games I found aptX, particularly LL and adaptive, to be better for gaming.

Were you listening to the gaming audio on headphones that also support aptx ll? Without support for the codec at both ends you weren't actually listening in aptx ll. I looked into all this back when buying the S20 5G as was interested in new IEMs at the time and the number of wireless buds that supported either aptx hd or ll were eerily miniscule and not worth being a reason to buy a phone that had such codec support.

Last edited:
Google's one trump card should hopefully be that they now have full control over the imaging chips on the Pixel 6 and as such should be able to produce unrivalled image quality so am expecting to see unmatched photos captured by Pixel 6 this time round. But then again Samsung have been working on their imaging side for a while now too so let's see what happens

Would be a foolish mistake for them to rely on this. Do a blind photo test, and you'll be struggling to identify which photo is taken by which device, for the simple reason that all top of the range phones take great photos and have done for years.

In ideal lighting, all are great. In poor lighting all do as good as can be expected. No matter the improvement Google show with their photos, you'll see similar ones by apple, Samsung etc.

Soldato
Would be a foolish mistake for them to rely on this. Do a blind photo test, and you'll be struggling to identify which photo is taken by which device, for the simple reason that all top of the range phones take great photos and have done for years.

In ideal lighting, all are great. In poor lighting all do as good as can be expected. No matter the improvement Google show with their photos, you'll see similar ones by apple, Samsung etc.

Yep Google aren't going to change their image overnight. They've already built up a weak image over the years with half baked products and it'll take many years to fix that.

As long as the Pixel 6 is a solid product and they actually market it this time they'll make some ground.

Samsung are lame AF. I was super disappointed with their S21U and its only a matter of time till their market share dwindles. Huawei had them over a barrel before they got lynched, yet Samsung still peddling hype and marketing over solid product. Yep I'm being a little OTT but the sentiment still stands.

\end rant

Soldato
The Sony event is irrelative really. The phone won't be bought by the masses who are only interested in a Galaxy or iPhone these days. It will also almost certainly be priced in league with the Samsung and Apple flagships but not be as good for the cameras so the question remains as to who would actually buy it. Same story year after year.

I've been with Samsung since the Galaxy S2 but I'm getting ****ed off with the continually added bloatware to my phone, when my S20 FE 5G gives up the ghost I'll be looking elsewhere.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
WHat bloatware are you seeing? There are a bunch of Samsung apps yes, but then again on PIxels you get Googles apps. So whilst not everyone uses Samsung's apps, not everyone prefers Googles apps either so you'd still be doubling up app categories in some instances either side really. On my S20 I use most of the Samsung apps (just not calendar), the remainder are uninstalled or disabled if they cannot be uninstalled. Only a small handful really.

Soldato
WHat bloatware are you seeing? There are a bunch of Samsung apps yes, but then again on PIxels you get Googles apps. So whilst not everyone uses Samsung's apps, not everyone prefers Googles apps either so you'd still be doubling up app categories in some instances either side really. On my S20 I use most of the Samsung apps (just not calendar), the remainder are uninstalled or disabled if they cannot be uninstalled. Only a small handful really.
The Google apps most of which you have the choice to uninstall from pixels. Do you have a Facebook app on your galaxy phone, or the totally unnecessary Samsung duplicate apps? Can you actually remove them from YOUR phone? Disabling is not the same... Sorry.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I do have Facebook, but I use both Facebook and Facebook business suite so this is not an issue for me at least. Whilst some apps like that you can't uninstall the usual way, you can still get rid of them using ADB without root: https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

Th simplest option is to disable. Whilst not the same as uninstalling, a disabled app is as good as dead, not that the tens of MB it might take up of internal storage will mean anything of value though.

Caporegime
The Google apps most of which you have the choice to uninstall from pixels. Do you have a Facebook app on your galaxy phone, or the totally unnecessary Samsung duplicate apps? Can you actually remove them from YOUR phone? Disabling is not the same... Sorry.

I'm never sure why people care about this, disable and hide from your app drawer - who even uses an app drawer anyway anymore. Surely you just type in the first letter of the app and click it from there. So it basically doesn't exist after doing this from a user experience anyway.

I'm never sure why people care about this, disable and hide from your app drawer - who even uses an app drawer anyway anymore. Surely you just type in the first letter of the app and click it from there. So it basically doesn't exist after doing this from a user experience anyway.

Ooo no way would I do that. I have almost all my apps hidden, with the ones I want accessed via swiping up on other apps e.g. Music is on my home screen, click it goes to music, swipe up and launches BBC news.

Then I just have a few in my app drawer for rare use, but they are all in folders. Ain't nobody got time to stsrt typing in a name :p

Caporegime
Ooo no way would I do that. I have almost all my apps hidden, with the ones I want accessed via swiping up on other apps e.g. Music is on my home screen, click it goes to music, swipe up and launches BBC news.

Then I just have a few in my app drawer for rare use, but they are all in folders. Ain't nobody got time to stsrt typing in a name :p

I find it quicker, press the circle button, keyboard opens up and then type the first letter of what I want to open. But then most of mine are setup for swipe ups/downs/double taps from the one screen anyway.

Back
Top Bottom