petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Well all depends on the prices the refineries set. Yes some garages cashed in by upping their margin but if they are lets say buying diesel in for £1.35 per litre they will have to charge more than that for it to make a profit. Before of course they were buying it at £1.27 and wacked their prices up to £1.39 to cash in.

As of yesterday the average uk fuel pump price for diesel was £141.47 and is still going up everyday. Compared with £1.12 on the 2nd June.

Wholesale prices from the refinery continues to rise every day as well. There might be a bit of play in forecourt prices but for now these prices are here to stay.

We are almost at the highest fuel prices for 8 years and I dont think its stopped going up yet.

https://www.racfoundation.org/data/wholesale-fuel-prices-v-pump-prices-data
This and electricity rising by >50% recently, not ideal! :(

Soldato
we've got Rishi's budget coming up on 27th so might be desirable to top up before, or, buy your new company EV before,
meanwhile I still won't be cruising at 70+ mph

As Rishi Sunak prepares to launch the main points of the Budget, many business insiders will be watching with bated breath to see the bulletins affecting drivers. The review, which is able to be held on October 27, could clear up a variety of issues, from electrical car infrastructure to changes to gasoline duty and company car tax.

Caporegime
He is going to raise fuel duty isnt he to encourage more people to buy EVs. I can see £1.50 a litre becoming the norm this winter for fuel.

Buts its ok, with all these high paying jobs we can all afford it.

Soldato
No problems here, been fine for 10+ days. Supermarkets are charging the standard price for E10. No queue, all grades available. All pumps open. Local Esso is still taking the michael at 143.9p though.

Its £143.9 here too its by far and away the most expensive yet during the last week it was the most popular for queues I guess they have to have some way of making people look elsewhere. Funnily enough its now more expensive than the (very) small independent down the road which always had ridiculously high prices they made their money from being open 24 hours or at least well past midnight it always had its late night customers and taxi drivers - its now the cheapest as their prices are still the pre-shortage ones

Theres still the odd station still empty here mostly Texaco but the queues seem to have vanished at least presumably because everyone is driving around on full tanks and can't squeeze anymore in -

Hydro works because during the night they pump water back up into the top reservoir using excess energy from Power stations that need to be kept running because they take hours to cycle up and down wo while a Hydro station is a net User of power overall that power is 'wasted' if they don't use it. As you said as well they can open the floodgates and be producing in only a couple of minutes.

Some Hydro stations use rivers as well, diverting some of the river flow through turbines.

Hydro predominently uses rivers thats the point the welsh place is a special case it was built to even out demand in the national grid when demand is high its let go when demand is low its pumped back up to the top again ready for the next day - its nothing more than a giant storage battery - the same reason theres an electric cable between england and france or at least there was until someone was careless enough to let it catch fire - their peak demand is at a different time from ours when our demand is high we buy from them when their demand is high they buy from us. I've no idea why hydro was brought up in the first place to be honest...

Caporegime
Its £143.9 here too its by far and away the most expensive yet during the last week it was the most popular for queues I guess they have to have some way of making people look elsewhere. Funnily enough its now more expensive than the (very) small independent down the road which always had ridiculously high prices they made their money from being open 24 hours or at least well past midnight it always had its late night customers and taxi drivers - its now the cheapest as their prices are still the pre-shortage ones

In a rising market rural petrol stations win. My local one only gets one delivery a week and thats when they change their price, either up or down. Big filling stations are getting daily deliveries and adjust on the fly.

My local garage went up 10p overnight after they had their last delivery. And that wasnt price gouging, purely because they will have paid most of that extra for their next load of fuel.

In a falling market like we had earlier this year, you saw the opposite. My local big Tescos kept dropping the price daily and the local garage stayed its already more expensive price until they had used it all up and got anew delivery.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My local rural stations (the type with pumps with scrolling numbers from the 1980s, tiny shop, branded PACE or similar) always seem to be super expensive - preying on convenience and the "local" service/empty/easy forecourt. There is one in the next village to me, absolutely ancient looking place, now firmly up over 150ppl. I guess ultimately the price doesn't matter to a lot of people who do low mileage locally.

Caporegime
My local rural stations (the type with pumps with scrolling numbers from the 1980s, tiny shop, branded PACE or similar) always seem to be super expensive - preying on convenience and the "local" service/empty/easy forecourt. There is one in the next village to me, absolutely ancient looking place, now firmly up over 150ppl. I guess ultimately the price doesn't matter to a lot of people who do low mileage locally.

In general they are always more expensive than the big petrol stations but even last week our local one was posting on FB that they had fuel and also they were the cheapest in the area for 30 miles and cheaper than the big supermarkets - until they ran out 2 days later and then when the new stock came had to put their price up above the supermarkets again.

I didnt see it as "preying" more to do with just plain simple economics. Buying one tank of fuel a week means they will have to pay more than the supermarkets do who will go through millions of litres and more buying power.

I used to work for a haulage company and once we got big enough - 180 trucks, we were allowed to go and get our fuel direct from the refineries and miss out the middle man as we were using a full artic every couple of days or so. That was several pence cheaper than what we had been paying.

Plus there overheads has to split over 25,000 litres of fuel sold in a week/month whereas the supermarkets might be doing that per day.

Its like when people used to complain about the prices in corner shops where the owner will have gone with a van to the cash and carry every week to stock up and paid more for cornflakes than what the supermarket sells them for and then people wonder why they are even more expensive in his little shop.

Soldato
He is going to raise fuel duty isnt he to encourage more people to buy EVs.
maybe ...
The BVRLA’s latest Fleet Sustainability credentials reveal that whilst less than 1% (0.7%) of the total UK car parc is currently zero emission, 22% of salary sacrifice cars, 8% of company cars and 7% of car club cars are BEVs and its newly released Road to Zero Report Card confirms that most fleet car segments are now embracing EVs with enthusiasm.
With the fleet sector playing a significant role in driving EV take up, it’s perhaps unsurprising that 27% of the UK’s public surveyed by Venson said that businesses operating EV fleets should incur additional charges.

Caporegime
maybe ...
If the take up is big enough then the government will look to replace lost income from fuel duty and RFL. I fully expect once EV’s reach around 15% of vehicles on the road RFL will no longer be free and they will work out how to charge to charge. Likely an EV levy of 10% or something.

Caporegime
If the take up is big enough then the government will look to replace lost income from fuel duty and RFL. I fully expect once EV’s reach around 15% of vehicles on the road RFL will no longer be free and they will work out how to charge to charge. Likely an EV levy of 10% or something.

BIK is creeping up anyway, its 1% next year then 2%, then 3%. By the time more people are getting EVs than ICE and closer we get to 2030, EVs will have the same BIK as what ICE cars used to have. And I would imagine in the next few years RFL will start creeping up on EV cars as well. Very slowly at first as the take up still isnt good enough once you ignore fleet cars.

Soldato
We last filled up on September 22nd, the day before it all kicked off.

MrsHB was starting to get a bit nervous because the car dipped just below the half way mark today. I’ve just been out and wondered how bad it would be but just went straight into an Asda, no queues or down pumps, brimmed the tank which cost £45.36 and back home no fuss. That should last us the next 3-4 weeks as long as she doesn’t get nervous again!

Edit: Asda charging £1.38L for Diesel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I need a full tank for this weekend's London trip. Not put petrol in since two Thursdays ago because I will not be sitting in a petrol queue. Looks like things here have settled and my local Shell is operating normally. Not sure what the prices are though as last fillup was £1.47/l.

Soldato
Still seems to be alright round here which is good because I've got to do 350 miles on Friday, 500 miles on Sunday and then back and forth all over Glasgow for a few days. Anyone know what the situation around Glasgow is like these days? I'm assuming it's fine just about everywhere other than areas around London.

Back
Top Bottom