• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Associate
There’s no gear on cml. Dual rank tops out around 4600 for daily with tight timing. Single rank around 4800. That’s bdie. Rev are and djr can do daily 5000 but timings are looser and bdie beats them in real workloads.

What good tuned bdie looks like on cml:
image0.png

Soldato
What for though? The RAM timings will have to increase and probably the gear setting too.
If 4800mhz ram can only run in gear 2 then it will absolutely make sense to OC the ram since 8000mhz has also been shown to run in gear 2 and if 4800 can run in gear one then 9600mhz should be doable in gear 2.

Associate
Diminishing returns I think. Quad channel motherboards would be the way to go if people want to spend this kind of money.
Quad channel needs CPU and IMC support though. AL-S already has 1,700 contact, so to have twice as many memory channels would require even more. Won't help power either and power is already high. I'm sure Intel will make HEDT and Xeon versions with more memory channels.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
12900K will be my first major CPU upgrade since around 2015 and the first time ever I have bought a flagship CPU. Always bought a step down from the top or good mid-range with scope to OC and get top range performance. That was of course back in the 7th gen days (6700K). Things have changed....

No intention of buying a DDR5 board but whatever Gigabyte have with skt1700 is what I'll get in the £150 range and then just reuse my DDR4 3600MHz. I don't need to eek out every ounce of performance to pad a benchmark result, I just want a significant upgrade from my 6700K which is now showing its age in workload tasks like exporting a few hundred photos or rendering a video! I've been editing! I'd also like to game a bit more care-free without the CPU being the bottleneck!

I cannot wait as this will secure me for the next 5 years at least I think!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What would be the other option if that turns out to be the case? I'll be sticking to Intel either way really as am more familiar with them and don't want the faff of potential RAM/configuration issues and other stuff.

I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci Resolve and other workload apps that are heavy on multi-core performance. With the odd game here and there of course but mostly workload usage.

Associate
What would be the other option if that turns out to be the case? I'll be sticking to Intel either way really as am more familiar with them and don't want the faff of potential RAM/configuration issues and other stuff.

I use Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci Resolve and other workload apps that are heavy on multi-core performance. With the odd game here and there of course but mostly workload usage.
If you are sticking with Intel then you have no other option. Depending on how heavy your workload is though i might look at 24 core threadripper. Had zero issues with memory and configuration on my 5950X

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
TBH I would not mind going back to AMD if the reliability/stability etc all checked out. I just checked out current Threadripper prices and closed the tab with watery eyes so that's out the question. I want to spend less than £1k which includes the CPU and mobo and a new AIO as my H115i is getting on a bit. 5950X looks good though but I still would prefer something new to make the whole thing feel like I've stepped into 2021/2022 properly, also that brand new model feel :p

I think Threadripper for my needs would be absolutely overkill anyway though. I just want more core power which it seems any of the recent chips even 10900k would trounce my 6700K in multi threaded performance which Lightroom would love.

Hell if 12900K doesn't stack up as a sizeable improvement over a 10900K then I'll chuck in the towel and just get a 10900K and call it a day for a few years I guess and then just get the best speed RAM I can get as I will be looking at 64GB soon as at times 32GB is nearly fully utilised.

Soldato
Q. Can I use Intel 500 series motherboards?
A.No, the CPU slot should be replaced with LGA 1700.

Q.Do I need to replace the heatsink to be compatible with LGA 1700?
A. Yes, you will need to replace the heat sink and even the heatsink due to the different hole pitch and CPU top cover specifications.

Q.I heard that the power supply will change to 12Vo?
A. More than 90% of motherboards will not, it will still be the traditional ATX12V, so there is no need to worry about that.

Q.Will the Intel 600 series have PCIe5?
A. Yes, but only one part of the CPU is PCIe5. The part of the CPU provided for M.2 is still PCIe4, so it is PCIe5 x16+PCIe4 x4.

Q. Will the Intel 600 series have motherboards that are compatible with both DDR4 and DDR5?
A. Most likely not, as DDR5 uses SMT instead, it is basically impossible to put it on a PCB with DDR4 at the same time, and one of the most likely manufacturers didn't do so, unless DDR4 also uses SMT, but the compatibility of the memory will still be greatly reduced by doing so. In addition, if DDR5 is changed to internal power supply, the motherboard itself will not integrate the 12V Buck circuit, and the memory will complete the Buck itself, so in summary, there is a 1% chance of such a motherboard.

Q. Since PCH is now PCIe4 capable, will the chipset be hot?
A.Not at all, passive cooling is not a problem, this Intel is much better than AMD.

Q. How is the gaming performance of Intel's top ADL CPU?
A. The top one is definitely better than 5950X, and the difference in CSGO can even reach 50+.

Q.What about 3A?
A. The top one is better than the 5950X, but don't think the gap is big.

Q.Is there any room for overclocking in the top ADL?
A. Yes, full-core 5.2G 5.3G off small cores should be easy, as long as you heat OK, Intel 10nm ESF is really something.

Q. ADL does it accumulate heat?
A. No heat buildup, heat dissipation is very good, with a large top cover, not on the buckle cooling burn AVX2 are not degraded (referring to the CPU 108 degrees).

Q. ADL I turn off the small core, will the power consumption improve?
A. Take the top of the line for example, whether SSE or AVX, there will be no improvement, it may be a current bug, it depends on the subsequent MC.

Q.Will ADL be very expensive? Will it be hard to buy?
A. It may be expensive, Q4 supply is about 300K, as long as you have money, it should not be a problem.

Q.The i3 and i5 non-K will not be 14nm + old architecture, right?
A. No, it is also Colden Cove.

Q.Which one is the best value in ADL?
A.12400, strong single core, and don't worry about small cores, because it has no small cores, although the full core is only 4G, but compared to 10400 and 11400, the improvement is huge.

Q.How about the ADL size core scheduling, will the game be affected?
A. Remember, you must use it under Windows 11, otherwise many programs only run small cores, such as Intelbench R20, some games will drop about 50 fps with Windows 10. Under Windows 11, some games will be optimized to automatically hibernate the small cores, so that the large cores can enjoy a large L3, and so far we have not encountered the situation of driving backwards.

Q. Is DDR4 or DDR5 better on Intel 600 series?
A. Depending on your needs, DDR5 has the ability to do 65ns or less, and because DDR5 has two channels in one memory, his speed will break the sky, a memory can equal or even exceed DDR4, but the ADL for DDR4 optimization is not friendly, on the current casual play, DDR4 top B-die can not be on the ADL to show off, and Intel does not seem to intend to optimize DDR4, so the players to get DDR5 is definitely the first choice, can super can run the score, a group of happy. Of course, the capacity of DDR5. It is difficult to say, the price and supply for players are not friendly, so the stink of playing games or DDR4 in the high frequency is the main, cheap economy, 3600 can also open Gear 1.

Q.Intel ALD's IMC is still cross-clocked, how much can the highest Gea1 open?
A. Divided, Gear 1, Gear 2, an additional Gear 4, DDR4 can Gear 1, DDR5 basically can only open Gear 2 and Gear 4. At present, DDR4 is a 3600MHz level under Gear 1 without adjusting anything, and the Uncore voltage can be pulled up to 3866, so the DDR4 part is almost no improvement, DDR5 is Gear 2 by default, so there is no improvement needs to see the performance of 8000+ strips, as for Gear 4, that is the memory 10GHz+ should be concerned about things.

Q. What is the FIVR mentioned before?
A. Vcore and GT are still the traditional power supply, only the Uncore part has changed to FIVR, so the heat can not be worried about, by the way, this time VCCSA and VCCIO merged, through a 1.8V into the CPU, and then through the FIVR buck, so this time, the board factory probably 80% may not pull the VCCSA and VCCIO power supply to The board may not pull the VCCSA and VCCIO power supply to impersonate the core power supply, but I feel that there will still be boards with 1.8V MOS impersonating the core power supply.

Q. Is there room to optimize the latency of DDR5?
A. No, due to the working principle of DDR5, even if the frequency and CL are exactly the same, DDR4 will be lower than DDR5, DDR5 is about 40% higher, right?

Q.When will these be available for sale?
A.Z690+i5, i7, i9 K/KF in early November, B660, H610+non-K will be in January next year.

Q.Can I buy the ES1/ES2 CPUs?
A. Not recommended at all, the ES1 Uncore sucks this time, if you don't keep the code adjusted for ES memory, then it's a miracle you can light up. ES2 is better, but the Uncore part of ES2 and QS is also slightly changed, and it's also quite picky about memory.

https://www.bilibili.com/read/cv13557967

Soldato
Looks like memory controller gears are going to be a problem on Alder Lake. I hope they add 'gear 1' support for high speed DDR4 too. I can't help thinking Intel is trying to obscure that the memory controller will be running slower when using DDR5 RAM.

Most people planning a build should probably wait until January 2022, for the B660 motherboards in my opinion, as the Z690 boards will probably be £150 or more on launch.

If Intel wants a power efficient Alder Lake CPU, they should create an 8 core version with the small cores disabled ;)

It will be interesting to see if the 12400K can clock to ~5ghz.

I'll be keeping my eye on Raptor Lake news in 2022. It will be interesting to see if they end up supporting DDR4 for the 13th gen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like memory controller gears are going to be a problem on Alder Lake. I hope they add 'gear 1' support for high speed DDR4 too. I can't help thinking Intel is trying to obscure that the memory controller will be running slower when using DDR5 RAM.
I'll be keeping my eye on Raptor Lake news in 2022. It will be interesting to see if they end up supporting DDR4 for the 13th gen.

Adding gear 4?
v superslow?

Back
Top Bottom