• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
So, looks like Zen 3 Threadripper has been delayed again - I reckon they will launch with this stack design and that's the reason for the delay.

AMD seems to be dealing with some serious delays, zen 3 Threadripper will 6 to 9 months overdue when it launches - this doesn't bode well for Zen 4

Caporegime
Right AMD don't talk up future products 2 years before release every 5 minutes.

They have a working silicon reveal at one of the annual main events and that's it, the next time you hear about it is when its launched.

Permabanned
Right AMD don't talk up future products 2 years before release every 5 minutes.

They have a working silicon reveal at one of the annual main events and that's it, the next time you hear about it is when its launched.

It doesn't work like that, does it?
And you know it.

Associate
AMD seems to be dealing with some serious delays, zen 3 Threadripper will 6 to 9 months overdue when it launches - this doesn't bode well for Zen 4

There is only 1 delay and that is Threadripper. I suspect that is purely down to the silicon shortages and them making sure their desktop products get to consumers, they are unchallenged in HEDT so no need to slow production of other SKU's just to launch threadripper

It doesn't work like that, does it?
And you know it.

No it pretty much does, sometimes info leaks from Investor briefings but other than that they tend to stay tight lipped

Associate
I wonder if AMD will change the naming convention for the next round of CPU. Else they could potentially have CPU and GPU's available next year called 6600, 6800 and 6900

Associate
OK awesome, so:

Zen 3D (VCache) AM4, +15% Gaming in "early 2022"

Zen 4 with DDR5 and PCIe 5 "in 2022"

Chalk 2022 up as another good Zen year :)
Not sure if i heard right but sounded like Zen 4 20% performance boost over Zen 3D so 34% from Zen 3. Sounds like Intels next product after Alderlake is a dud too with only reported best case scenario of 10% over Alderlake

Associate
There is only 1 delay and that is Threadripper. I suspect that is purely down to the silicon shortages and them making sure their desktop products get to consumers, they are unchallenged in HEDT so no need to slow production of other SKU's just to launch threadripper

No it pretty much does, sometimes info leaks from Investor briefings but other than that they tend to stay tight lipped

I'll be miffed if everybody else gets to play in 3D even Epyc whilst Threadripper gets plain Zen 3. Great 3D is coming soon, but hope AMD don't forget about TR.

Soldato
Certainly nice to have yet another generation of CPUs on AM4. The performance progression without needing to change the socket has been impressive. Weird that certain other companies claim you need to have a new socket (or a very slightly revised, incompatible version of an existing one) every 12-24 months in order for that to happen. :confused:

Soldato
When she did this presentation for the 3D V-Cache what game was that being shown in the video and what resolution and gpu was she using for it ? Same for the slides later they don't state GPU or resolution used..

Because if that is 1080p or worse 720p only and on a 6900xt, I'm a bit worried at higher resolutions the real uplift is a lot less than her 15% average better performance. Where going from 3000 zen2 to 5000 zen3 was a real 19% uplift due to IPC. Anyone have any info on the examples she used and what resolution and GPU was used ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom