This Business and Moment...

Soldato
mfi-certification-and-link.png

Happy to get Apple MFi certification in the bag. Man that took months !

2m USB C to Lightning

:D

Soldato
Well after 9 weeks I'm finally starting my new role as a project manager on Monday.
I aim to get experienced and then apply for an international post just because I think it will be good for me to further push myself out my comfort zone.

Soldato
I wanted to share my news, not many people in my real life would care or appreciate it tbh.

I ended my career as a Teacher in May this year. The job was a stress inducer and no matter how many hours or how much you tried, the leadership wanted more, more, more.
In the end, my union reached a deal and I was out.

I didn't do much until August, when I was offered a position at a new company out of the blue. Nothing to do with education.
More Tech based, software eng / data analysis type of work. Its brand new to the industry and no one else is doing it in the UK.
Pay is 40% higher than I was on as a teacher. The hours are much better, work life balance is much better, stress levels are through the floor.

Absolutely chuffed and I feel all the past 5 years worth of pain and stress was worth it.

Soldato
I wanted to share my news, not many people in my real life would care or appreciate it tbh.

I ended my career as a Teacher in May this year. The job was a stress inducer and no matter how many hours or how much you tried, the leadership wanted more, more, more.
In the end, my union reached a deal and I was out.

I didn't do much until August, when I was offered a position at a new company out of the blue. Nothing to do with education.
More Tech based, software eng / data analysis type of work. Its brand new to the industry and no one else is doing it in the UK.
Pay is 40% higher than I was on as a teacher. The hours are much better, work life balance is much better, stress levels are through the floor.

Absolutely chuffed and I feel all the past 5 years worth of pain and stress was worth it.
Congrats. For what it's worth, we actively target ex-teachers and consider those who did TeachFirst an immediate peg up from the rest of the crowd - 5 years is a good stint.

Soldato
Congrats. For what it's worth, we actively target ex-teachers and consider those who did TeachFirst an immediate peg up from the rest of the crowd - 5 years is a good stint.
If you don't mind me asking.. Why? What is it about ex-teachers that is attractive? apart from getting their mental breakdown out of the way early :p

Soldato
If you don't mind me asking.. Why? What is it about ex-teachers that is attractive? apart from getting their mental breakdown out of the way early :p
Organised, effective communicators, can break down large problems effectively. Most organisations are people-centric, so if you can talk to people, you can learn the rest from a book. And anything is easier than teaching, right? :p

Soldato
Got a new job with an 20% pay increase over my current role, actually had two job offers but picked the one which pays more and gets me involved with Azure.

Time to prepare my resignation letter for HR.

Soldato
OP
Weird one here at the moment, work is busy but I have loads of holiday to use up so only have 19 days left until 2022, so that's a bonus.

I sent a massive email of feedback to the CIO the other week. He was fairly receptive, but at the same time when I highlighted things where I cannot get insight that is needed due to where my position sits outside of product, he was like, that shouldnt be an issue, just ask. Well, I can only ask if I know stuff even exists... so frustrating a lot at times and find myself doing **** all product management stuff I enjoy.

I did apply for the head of product management position they have open after my mate Nigel left, but 1. they won't even give it a look and 2. the way the org is, Im not sure it'd be a fun role.

That being said, I have an interview on monday for a Swiss head of product role, fully remote. Company is more SME, which is cool. Interesting one, so see where that leads. On top of that someone reached out to me last night on linkedin about a well established blockchain company looking for a head of product too and asked if I would be interested. Fully remote, comes with many things apparently. Sounds the most exciting but highest risk. Where I am with it's wicked pension and benefits is what kills dreams lol why push yourself when you have your future planned out here? It's hard right?
I'll probably not get anywhere but few options seem to be popping up. Not like I'm stupidly unhappy, I like my job sometimes, it's just frustrating that's al and I can't see where I'd be doing more of what I love in the future here. Not to the degree I'd enjoy.

Anyway, will see. I've been pretty ill recently too. Had a bad kidney infection that took me out for a week, now a massive head cold. Mrs. is moving out as we speak, hopefully all finished by tomorrow. Then it's new chapter. Might as well start a new chapter rolling the dice on a role change :p

Soldato
I had an interview in the NHS yesterday. I don’t think I got the job as it was the first interview I’ve had in a very long time. Sadly my nerves got the better of me as there was a lot to remember coming from a different background.

It’s a learning curve but it’s given me confidence funnily enough as to what to expect for the future interviews.

Soldato
I had an interview in the NHS yesterday. I don’t think I got the job as it was the first interview I’ve had in a very long time. Sadly my nerves got the better of me as there was a lot to remember coming from a different background.

It’s a learning curve but it’s given me confidence funnily enough as to what to expect for the future interviews.

I lost count how many interviews I had this year, after a while you learn to perfect interviews for the job you actually get.

I took note of interview questions I was unable to answer for future interviews, which I was asked multiple times after that.

Soldato
I lost count how many interviews I had this year, after a while you learn to perfect interviews for the job you actually get.

I took note of interview questions I was unable to answer for future interviews, which I was asked multiple times after that.

Unfortunately, the stress of moving cities and home life took a little toll on me. Not the ideal position to be in for an interview but you live and learn.

Soldato
OP
That being said, I have an interview on monday for a Swiss head of product role, fully remote. Company is more SME, which is cool. Interesting one, so see where that leads.
Went well, they would like to see me again. Small startup really. Well, they have funding and have enough revenue to pay their 19 staff, so it's not too bad and 2m in funding they just got. I have a feeling I'd be way too expensive for them though, so will see what happens.

Next one is the blockchain company, which is 19:45 tonight. Busy monday.

Always a good thing. Interviews are great practice, especially if you start doing them not even too fussed if you get the role as it takes all the pressure off and allows you to focus on the learning and experience of the process.

Soldato
Oasis Protocol? That's who this is for anyway!

With that, just got the confirmation yesterdays place want to see me again. So that's something.

Nah, nope it wasn't them.:D

On an side note, my girlfriend started her new role yesterday working for Bitcoinsuisse, interesting stuff she be doing troubleshooting with the work they do. Probably more interesting than my own job!

Soldato
OP
On an side note, my girlfriend started her new role yesterday working for Bitcoinsuisse, interesting stuff she be doing troubleshooting with the work they do. Probably more interesting than my own job!
haha I met the founder of bitcoin suisse! Dude with long hair and a moustache. Looks like a magician hahaha sound role though! I think we'll see a huge increase in opportunities in blockchain in the next few years. So much more is happening than ever before.

Soldato
Got a 2nd Interview for a Senior Solutions Engineer position which is a different role to what I'm doing now where I'm on the 'client' side.

Job is really interesting at a fantastic company.

The 2nd interview is with the 'tech' team and I've no real clue what tech-based questions they're going to ask and what I should really ask them but I've got a few ideas so we'll see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom