UEFA World Cup Qualifiers & Nations League Semi-Finals **spoilers** [6th - 12th Oct 2021]

Soldato
Absolutely, but not to the level and as widespread as Hungary.

Oh I dont know about that. Storming a stadium, breaking in and almost causing the cancellation of a final would be right up there. Then you have the trouble constantly when abroad in places like Amsterdam. Yes i get that the Hungarians are clearly racist and theres no place for it but the Euro final was an absolute disgrace.

Soldato
Indeed, and therefore you'd expect a much smaller percentage of their fan base to be quite so scummy
Oh no, I mean compared to England hooligan fans, there are a lot less of them. Can no one remember what happened at the Wembley England match recently where our own fans stormed it and broke in?

Associate
Southgate is fine, in fact he’s better than fine.

He played the attacking system/team/players that everyone wanted and it didn’t have the balance.
So, he got it wrong...?

Kane has been a passenger for the last 4 games and only gets away with it because Szczęsny was more flat footed than a patio when we played Poland.

Soldato
So, he got it wrong...?

Kane has been a passenger for the last 4 games and only gets away with it because Szczęsny was more flat footed than a patio when we played Poland.

He’s allowed to try different things in what is actually a relatively meaningless game.

It also allows him to then say; look if we stick with my game plan we got to the final of the euros and the semi of the WC. Going all out isn’t as effective.

Soldato
He’s allowed to try different things in what is actually a relatively meaningless game.

It also allows him to then say; look if we stick with my game plan we got to the final of the euros and the semi of the WC. Going all out isn’t as effective.

How is a world cup qualifier meaningless?

Soldato
How is a world cup qualifier meaningless?

They have basically already qualified. Battered them last month away from home. Mixing it up a little, even with that team it should have been strong enough to win the game. The experiment didn’t work, can go back to the method that’s got them this far. Don’t see a problem with it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Southgate is fine, in fact he’s better than fine.

He played the attacking system/team/players that everyone wanted and it didn’t have the balance.

This.

England fans, or at least a pretty noisy subset of them, clamoured for a side like the one he put out this time. And - heavens! - it doesn't work. Southgate knows that, most people with an IQ larger than that of a spectacularly dumb grapefuit know that, and now so do those noisy England fans :p

Caporegime
No, I now know Southgate won't win anything playing a defensive line-up nor an attacking one.

He's crap, his football's crap and the outlook for English international football is crap while he remains in charge.

Caporegime
This.

England fans, or at least a pretty noisy subset of them, clamoured for a side like the one he put out this time. And - heavens! - it doesn't work. Southgate knows that, most people with an IQ larger than that of a spectacularly dumb grapefuit know that, and now so do those noisy England fans :p
You found all that out from one game? That England can't play attacking football or employ positive tactics?

No wonder you talk about having such a high IQ. Most people would have to observe the team over a number of games, but you've conclusively proved England can only serve up the dullest of negative tactics after watching just one game where the half-heartedly tried something that was only slightly less negative than usual.

Real big brain stuff.

Soldato
They have basically already qualified. Battered them last month away from home. Mixing it up a little, even with that team it should have been strong enough to win the game. The experiment didn’t work, can go back to the method that’s got them this far. Don’t see a problem with it.

They havent basically already qualified though. Its likely don't get me wrong but England have not qualified.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Oh, get a sense of humour about it :p

It's England. They're always going to be just slightly crap with occasional false dawns. Doesn't matter who's managing them. Especially when they're going to keep being forced to pick players based on past reputation rather than current performance (Kane springs immediately to mind!).

Soldato
You found all that out from one game? That England can't play attacking football or employ positive tactics?

No wonder you talk about having such a high IQ. Most people would have to observe the team over a number of games, but you've conclusively proved England can only serve up the dullest of negative tactics after watching just one game where the half-heartedly tried something that was only slightly less negative than usual.

Real big brain stuff.

It’s international football, they don’t get months on end to perfect the pep style. International football is all about winning. Playing Philips/Rice gets the results, now and likely in the immediate future. I don’t see a problem with that. Can’t go out and sign players to play roles to get this PSG style of attacking football you want.

Go back to playing all the big names regardless of structure/balance and get knocked out at the GS or before QF like the last 30 years

fez

fez

Caporegime

And anyone with half a braincell doesn't think that you can just stick 11 players on the pitch in a formation and it works or it doesn't. There is a reason top coaches are so highly sought after and it isn't because they are good at picking a formation and team sheet.

Southgate is barely Ole quality so the only remotely good chance he has of implementing a "strategy" is to pack 8-9 guys behind the ball and hope to hit sides on the break. Basically the low IQ play that requires the least coaching, risk and danger.

Caporegime
Oh, get a sense of humour about it :p

It's England. They're always going to be just slightly crap with occasional false dawns. Doesn't matter who's managing them. Especially when they're going to keep being forced to pick players based on past reputation rather than current performance (Kane springs immediately to mind!).
That's the thing. It's not funny watching Southgate serve up game after game of dross. Not funny watching him fail to learn from any of his past mistakes. It's also not funny watching people defend a man who's clearly out of his depth, but currently can do no wrong due to having the easiest run to a cup final in recent memory.

fez

fez

Caporegime
That's the thing. It's not funny watching Southgate serve up game after game of dross. Not funny watching him fail to learn from any of his past mistakes. It's also not funny watching people defend a man who's clearly out of his depth, but currently can do no wrong due to having the easiest run to a cup final in recent memory.

I know right. I truly couldn't care less if we go out in the group stages or the quarter final or the final. If you don't win it then you don't win it. What I don't want is to watch us limp through crap game after crap game and then lose after another limp performance because Southgate has no idea how to play anything other than uber defensively. I'd rather go for it a bit and go out earlier.

He ain't winning anything like this.

Back
Top Bottom