Monitor stand that allows constant adjustability without failing

Soldato
Hi,

I have a 32" monitor and I want to be able to use it in one position for work, another for gaming and another for streaming TV

This means I will need to adjust it up to 3 times a day so I'm wondering these gas monitor stands allow that much constant adjustment, has anyone got something they can recommend where they are constantly adjusting it?

Thanks

Soldato
I've had an Allcam GSD110 since early 2012 and it's still as good as the day I set it up. It gets messed with roughly 5-8 times a day.
Prices have gone up a bit lately, of course, but I'd still rate it very highly.

I also understand Ergotron have improved their game in recent years, but back then they were utter *****. We had about 50 installed at work and not one of them lasted more than a year.

Soldato
OP
I've had an Allcam GSD110 since early 2012 and it's still as good as the day I set it up. It gets messed with roughly 5-8 times a day.
Prices have gone up a bit lately, of course, but I'd still rate it very highly.

I also understand Ergotron have improved their game in recent years, but back then they were utter *****. We had about 50 installed at work and not one of them lasted more than a year.

Thanks thats exactly what I'm interested to hear I will look into Allcam. I'll probably avoid Ergotron because they are pricey but I've read some negative things about them

Soldato
Hmm its £80 direct from Allcam but only mentions compatibility up to 27"
It's more about the weight limit, really.
Size is to do with how low it will go before the monitor hits the desk. At the highest setting, there's about 10" of clearance.
This is with the desk clamp version though, so you'd have more options if you got the wall-mounted one.

Don
I've got 2x 32" screens on Ergotron LX arms at work. Whilst I rarely adjust them, they seem just as solid as they were when new 3 years ago, so can't fault them (unlike some cheaper Lindy, Startech and other no-name arms that we have used)

Associate
Got an ErGear monitor arm holding up my G7 32".
Same as you, adjusting 2-4 times a day. Holds well, no complaints

Soldato
OP
Got an ErGear monitor arm holding up my G7 32".
Same as you, adjusting 2-4 times a day. Holds well, no complaints

Interesting these are pretty cheap on Amazon

What kind of adjustment are you doing? I'm intending to extend it all the way straight and back to the wall again at least twice a day and then tilt it up and down at least once a day

Associate
For me the most important change from G7 original stand was reduced depth. Original needed too much space on the desk, massive butt even tho all the weight is in the front because of curved screen. And I want it as far from me as possible.

I go from the highest position, so that 14" laptop fits under. To lowest, where monitor is almost resting on the desk. Arm against wall, center of mass is close to the clamp all the time.
Fully extended forward still holds, but makes it wobbly.
Tilt I rarely use, it works fine. Pivot helpful to get to cables sometimes

I remember needing to adjust all joints to a stiffer setting at first.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For me the most important change from G7 original stand was reduced depth. Original needed too much space on the desk, massive butt even tho all the weight is in the front because of curved screen. And I want it as far from me as possible.

I go from the highest position, so that 14" laptop fits under. To lowest, where monitor is almost resting on the desk. Arm against wall, center of mass is close to the clamp all the time.
Fully extended forward still holds, but makes it wobbly.
Tilt I rarely use, it works fine.

I remember needing to adjust all joints to a stiffer setting at first.

Sounds good, looks they're on offer at the moment too and they come white so I'll snap one up, thanks for the detail appreciated sounds like it will do the job

Associate
Checking this thread as well as I am also in a hunt for a monitor arm.

I saw an invision arm mx450 for £40. Supposedly can do upto 35inc and 12kg.

Other one is the ergotron hx with hd pivot hat can do 19kg but it's over £250.

Don
Just had a Kensington SmartFit One-Touch arm arrive this morning - I'm only going to use it to mount an Ipad Pro for Kiosk use, but seems pretty sturdy, and is intended to be repositioned on a regular basis.
Rated up to 34"/9kg and ~£55

Soldato
OP
There is got to be a reason why Invision and ergotron are so cheap

I'll have a look at the Kensington one too if it's advertised as being able to move it around constantly then that's a good selling point for me

Associate
the amazon basics dual arm is what i use and it's great, easy to move and you can set the arms to be as loose or tight as you want and I move my monitor multiple times a day depending on what I'm doing, it's not cheap, but it is very good for the job and looks decent as well

I have a 28inch Samsung on one arm and until half an hour ago i had a lighter 27inch LG gp950 on the other and the weight was no problem, only issue i have(besides a faulty monitor) is the mount on my Samsung is in a bloody stupid place so it sits lower than I wwould like.

Associate
I've been using my Ergotron MX since April 2016, originally it had a simple 24" on it for about 3 years and then a Dell 34" Ultrawide which is still currently mounted to it (using the arm with the desk clamp) and it's never drooped or shown any issues with my shifting about the screen on a daily basis.
I use my monitor as a TV for watching Netflix at night, so the position gets adjusted at least twice a day.

It's pricey and a little bulky, but when you're buying something to keep your monitor held nice and firmly I wouldn't want to push my luck with a cheap knock off item.

Associate
Thought I let this thread know. I bought the invision mx450 arm and just finished installing it. This would be my first gas powered arm.

Initial impressions are:
- Arms and base mount feels chunky. All metal material
- Adjustments are stiff. This is due to the grub screws are both used tighten the arms and lock it in place within each other
- Gas came pre-setup for 5kg monitors. Had to adjust to accommodate my lighter 27in screen
- The 2 year warranty requires registration

Soldato
Thought I let this thread know. I bought the invision mx450 arm and just finished installing it. This would be my first gas powered arm.

Initial impressions are:
- Arms and base mount feels chunky. All metal material
- Adjustments are stiff. This is due to the grub screws are both used tighten the arms and lock it in place within each other
- Gas came pre-setup for 5kg monitors. Had to adjust to accommodate my lighter 27in screen
- The 2 year warranty requires registration

So overall would you recommend it (i'm looking for a monitor arm myself)?

Back
Top Bottom