Has anyone hired a car in Canada/Toronto?

Soldato
Hi all,

Anyone hired a car in Canada or Toronto please?

Im trying to determine if there are any added costs.

Ive read some inconclusive information about needing extra insurance (i.e motor insurance, not excess/deposit protection) on top of the hire price.

But really struggling to find out any detail.

Comparison/price search sites are putting me at around £125 for 5 days car hire, which seems too cheap.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi all,

Ive read some inconclusive information about needing extra insurance (i.e motor insurance, not excess/deposit protection) on top of the hire price.

Comparison/price search sites are putting me at around £125 for 5 days car hire, which seems too cheap.

Thanks

Just make sure you select you're a UK resident.

For USA car hire, they have to give you insurance for non-US residents (I imagine it might be the same in Canada). Most will come with the basic cover, which requires an excess payments if you have an accident. You can purchase (buy it here in the UK) excess cover insurance, which covers the excess payment for you - usually £5-10

£125 does sound quite cheap - might be worth asking in this thread, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/road-tripping-in-the-usa.18227057/ there is a few very knowledgeable people in there :)

Soldato
I hired a car in Toronto a few years back to go visit the falls and vineyards and it was pretty straightforward. Checking back in my mails, I used Enterprise, it was pretty cheap.

Soldato
Pretty straightforward as with most places, I don't remember having to buy any extra insurance if you didn't want to. Rented a car in Calgary and then in Toronto to drive to Niagra, Ottawa and Montreal.

Soldato
Rented a car for a road trip from Calgary to Vancouver and dont recall any extra charges. I recall it wasnt very cheap but that might be because I didnt return the car to the point of origin

Man of Honour
Probably 35-40 years back, we had a week in Toronto, which included New Years at Niagara Falls.
At some point, my wife expressed her desire to check out the house in Peterborough Ontario, where her grandmother had been born, following my wife’s maternal great-grandmother’s family migrating there from London just before WW1.
To the best of my recall, I found a Hertz or Avis in the Yellow Pages and picked up a mid-sized car for the 280 km round trip.
This was before Sat-Navs, so I bought an A - Z street map of Peterborough, and spent the day driving through light snow then freezing my cojones off taking photos of my wife in front of her grandma’s house.
Nothing sticks in my mind involving any exorbitant price or special conditions involved in the hiring.

Soldato
We hired a car from Vancouver a few years back from Enterprise. I did take out top up insurance here beforehand (think I got an annual policy as it was the same price as 10 days).

Paid for an executive car and when we got there it was the equivalent of a focus but with leather seats! Nowhere near big enough for the family and bags. Managed to upgrade to a Cadillac SUV (not an Escalade though) for a few quid more per day.

Soldato
I hired one in Halifax a few years ago from Enterprise. I Didn’t pay for any extras. I booked direct via the website the day before my hire. I remember it being very cheap when I looked a few days before booking but it ramped up closer I got. Probably doubled in price.
The only thing not shown is 15% tax but it was £44 all in for a Dodge Ram pickup (because Canada) for 24 hours.

I also got into the passenger side, drove it for three miles with the handbrake on and didn’t know if it was petrol or diesel.
I worked, and still so, in the car trade…
1-D0-DA0-B6-68-AB-4-BFE-A0-EA-63-F70-AC1-EA8-B.png

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Thanks

I have 3 times. Had Camaros/Challengers :D

What I did was originally booked a basic class small car online from the UK when booking the flights and upon collection at Toronto Intl, asked about any upgrade deals. I ended up with an upgraded car for the week for a mere $60 or so extra which at the time would have been considerably more expensive if I booked the same car online. I didn't opt for any of the extra insurance stuff really. Driving over there is a doddle anyway, but that's just me.

Edit*
The rental company I used to book with was CarDelMar.

Back
Top Bottom