mclaren 570s, what's the catch?

Man of Honour
Seems to be a decent buy.
They come from a McLaren era when build quality was spotty at best. Lots and lots of issues, vast majority of them annoying and fixable rather than catastrophic, but get it checked and warranties a must IMHO…which are proper toppy.

Soldato
While I've not owned a macclaren, if that's the warranty price then they must be pretty unreliable (or have expensive parts), isn't the equivalent 911 warranty about half that?

Associate
Personally, I'd go with an XJ220 or EB110 but if it has to be a McLaren for the rep points then I'd guess the F1 is the only appropriate choice.

Soldato
570's seem to be great super cars performance wise but I have heard the usual Mclaren horror stories. Tbh for me they just sound naff & I don't really have any affinity for the brand.

Definitely one of the most common super cars I see, so if exclusivity matters to you, it might not be for you.

OcUK Staff
At 80-90k they are OK buys, a friend got one recently for 95k he is very happy with it and so far no problems.

I am in same camp as @NathWraith I find them rather boring to drive, crazy performance but that is about it unfortunately, purchased at the right price they could be a good buy, a friend of a friend got a 720S at 120k a few months ago, good timing for him. When I got my 458 a 720S was 210-250k, the 458 has not really lost any money even though I've put over 12k miles on it, whereas a 720S would have lost me around 100k. Also they do sound naff even with all the MSO extras fitted.

Soldato
Still top of my list to replace the 4C, need a house first though which is considerably more difficult! I wouldn't buy anything in this sector without a warranty so it doesn't make much difference really, servicing costs aren't outrageous the tricky bit seems to be getting track insurance. But then again not sure how many I would do really as I'd be terrified about the ceramics the whole time.

Associate
Maybe Squiddy was offered a pink slip race with their Merc and a 570s and wanted to see if it was worth the risk, though obviously the Merc would only lose if the "Danger to Manifold" warning came up from too much NOS

Man of Honour
Still top of my list to replace the 4C, need a house first though which is considerably more difficult! I wouldn't buy anything in this sector without a warranty so it doesn't make much difference really, servicing costs aren't outrageous the tricky bit seems to be getting track insurance. But then again not sure how many I would do really as I'd be terrified about the ceramics the whole time.
I did the Asda charity event around 2017 in my old R8. I reckon I did 30-35 stops, a couple were proper full on hard stops from 160mph to 170mph durning 4 hours. The brakes never once gave me an issue during or after. I think I did take 60% of the life out of the pads doing that, but the discs themselves were fine. I think modern ceramics are a lot better than back in the day when they first put them on the 996 GT3 and a stone would destroy things.

Soldato
I did the Asda charity event around 2017 in my old R8. I reckon I did 30-35 stops, a couple were proper full on hard stops from 160mph to 170mph durning 4 hours. The brakes never once gave me an issue during or after. I think I did take 60% of the life out of the pads doing that, but the discs themselves were fine. I think modern ceramics are a lot better than back in the day when they first put them on the 996 GT3 and a stone would destroy things.
It's more the fact you don't really know what life you buy them at or where they're going until they're done. Could buy a car that's already taken 60% off them then a few track days and they need replacing which is an astronomical bill.
I guess in reality I would do very few track days anyway as the insurance and testicular fortitude required is considerably more than the Alfa anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

OcUK Staff
It's more the fact you don't really know what life you buy them at or where they're going until they're done. Could buy a car that's already taken 60% off them then a few track days and they need replacing which is an astronomical bill.
I guess in reality I would do very few track days anyway as the insurance and testicular fortitude required is considerably more than the Alfa anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

Buy a car from Mclaren or get it pre-checked by them along with a brake disc report, but as Housey says earlier issues of ceramics are less an issue now, plus I suspect Mclaren been relatively new car company will be using the latest generation ceramics and their cars are also lightweight so less an issue.

Took the Spyder round Curborough yesterday which has gen2 ceramics and seemed no issue apart from brakes that are insanely powerful, in fact I think the Spyder was potentially the most fun I have ever had in a car on track, it moves around so much. :)

Man of Honour
It was 1300 for pads all round. Audi ceramic pads for reference.

Back
Top Bottom