When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes, because putting a massive security hole into cars is necessary to stop them being flintstones!?

I figured on a computer forum that would be obvious. One day someone will hack that and kill people.
It’s a risk, but on the plus side any safety faults and vulnerabilities can be fixed easily, quickly and for little cost.

Soldato
The risks here are, imo, clearly greater than the benefits. Even a simple step like requiring user interaction with a dealer provided code would make the process much more secure.
How familiar are you with the security processes of the Tesla OTA updates? I mean in terms of how they're deployed, accepted and installed.

Soldato
The risks here are, imo, clearly greater than the benefits. Even a simple step like requiring user interaction with a dealer provided code would make the process much more secure.
Ah you want to rely on a bag of skin and bones for the security, rather than an automated token based system.

Associate
I can't see why you'd pay £60k for the M3P over the M3 LR with the Performance upgrade for £52k.

Yes fair point that.

Build quality, looks, not having stupid controls and driver readouts. Honestly, nothing puts me off the Model 3 more than the lack of driver binnacle. Also, do BMW do the terrifyingly stupid over-the-air updates that Tesla does?

Everything via the touchscreen I agree is dumb, though BMW are sadly putting a lot more emphasis on touch screen controls with iDrive 8 that's in this. BMW have been doing OTA updates on their cars for a while now with iDrive 7 (mines had a couple of updates which have been mainly bug fixes). Cars have had wifi and bluetooth in them for years so could technically be seen as potential ingress points for attack, yet we've not seen any 'Fast and the Furious' style remote controlling them into the wall exploits, so I don't think there's a huge cause for concern quite yet.

Caporegime
Cars have had wifi and bluetooth in them for years so could technically be seen as potential ingress points for attack, yet we've not seen any 'Fast and the Furious' style remote controlling them into the wall exploits, so I don't think there's a huge cause for concern quite yet.

Sure, but they've not been hooked into the braking systems on many cars, or systems with access to the likes of Tesla's autopilot system. Even so, security experts have been warning for a long time about the risks associated with some of these systems and some serious vulnerabilities have been discovered (that one's Tesla, but there's been plenty of doozies from other manufacturers) - in that case, Tesla rolled out a security patch via their over-the-air system so, to be fair, there is an upside.

Soldato
The existing ice aftermarket engine re-mapping market is a manuafcturer negligence, they have not instituted sufficient physical/electronic protections,
and, probably represent the initial target for malicious electric vehicle software patches,
so - circumvent the OTA software certificates, probably with the help of a man on the inside, so you could increase power, to the detriment of long term battery life, or, just clocking the car - sounds familiar;
or man in the middle attack like the keyless entry weaknesses.

Soldato
I’d be more worried about other systems than the bakes (mainly control of the accelerator). The issue with the argument about the braking system is that even if they turned off power assistance to the brakes they would still work because the pedal is still physically connected to the actual brakes and will still work.

Most hacks need physical access* or phishing/tricking a user into doing something stupid like going to an infected website. In the real world it’s a lot more difficult to deploy and others have said legacy automakers don’t exactly shine themselves in glory here at all.

*being within wireless key, WiFi or Bluetooth range is physical access (imo).

Soldato
Walked past the "showroom" and decided to go and have a look as there were only 2 or 3 people in. Must admit, the interior looks a lot more like the CLS I'm coming from in terms of shape, quality and general "stuff". Sat in it and felt a tad "cosy" not claustrophobic, but not far off. I'll caveat that with full disclosure, I'm 6 foot 1 and carry some extra timber. Compete opposite to the "minimalist" / roomy interior of the M3.

When I got out the Mrs' face said it all. She had never seen one in the flesh but had previously said she wasn't a fan of the rear end (the car :p) but she had also taken an immediate dislike to the front as well, in particular the grille. My two daughters also were not impressed at all compared to the Tesla.

who's that - the next girl -

Volvo C40 driving REVIEW - this EV shows the future of Volvo as a brand!

same underpinning as p2, more space - no grill
- probably have to wait before traford centre have one - if polestar & volvo are still related

Soldato
Nice.

i had my first co-charger booking today.

https://co-charger.com/

Email this morning to alert me to a booking for 2-5pm. Approved it and a chap in an i3 came, parked and plugged in and wandered off into my town. Came back closer to 6 after taking 26kWh into his 94Ah REX (usuable 27.2kWh). I set the charge£1.50 per hour and they took a cut. Pretty hassle free.

All done whilst I was at work and saved the chap firing up that scooter engine I guess! Nice I have the camera to watch the drive too.

Back
Top Bottom