*** Show us your Dogs ***

Associate
OMG!! That's too cute!!

How did you get on with the initial meet and greet?

I'm getting a new miniature sausage dog puppy on the 15th October so am just starting to think about how to introduce my 12 and a half year old to her.

I'm sending a blanket to the breeder so that she can send it back with the puppy scent on for Maddie to smell.

We first introduced them in the garden, it was dark and the old girls eyes arent the best so not 100% sure she actually noticed the pup :D We then moved in side and they had a sniff of each other and that was about it for the first day.

Cassie has never really shown much interest in other dogs - she may play for a few minutes but is far more interested in people (or food obviously :D)

Cassie is being really good all things considered - she has gone from being the princess off the house to having a little upstart jumping and barking at her. She's a little protective of her toys still so there's a lot of shouting between the 2 but their tails are always wagging. We still don't leave them alone together anyway as rather not take any chances.

aQ3ZO6U.jpg
1gmd57X.jpg

We first introduced them in the garden, it was dark and the old girls eyes arent the best so not 100% sure she actually noticed the pup :D We then moved in side and they had a sniff of each other and that was about it for the first day.

Cassie has never really shown much interest in other dogs - she may play for a few minutes but is far more interested in people (or food obviously :D)

Cassie is being really good all things considered - she has gone from being the princess off the house to having a little upstart jumping and barking at her. She's a little protective of her toys still so there's a lot of shouting between the 2 but their tails are always wagging. We still don't leave them alone together anyway as rather not take any chances.

aQ3ZO6U.jpg
1gmd57X.jpg
Ha! That last photo of her standing over the puppy is brilliant! She is the Queen there, for sure! :cry:

But oh my goodness, the pic with them lying together is so sweet :)

Good thinking to not leave them on their own at the moment. I'm sure they would be fine but definitely better to be safe.

They look like they will be best friends in no time though :)

bJN

bJN

Soldato
lhYskww.jpeg
Just over 15 weeks now and his first trip to the beach. Went really well, spent the majority of the time off lead and stuck with us, had a few little paddles in the sea (forgot to take the harness off, oops!) and met a few dogs which went really well, surprisingly, as he's now entering the "fear" stage. His character is starting to shine through a bit now too and he's such a lovely pup, minus the incessant biting at times!

Associate
Quick question for some of you more experienced dog owners...

Chester (Cockapoo) is now 14 weeks old, and generally doing well. Toilet training has gone really, really well.
He is however, a bit hit and miss with food. He will eat, but not EAT if you know what I mean.
Monday night however, I made a discovery. His bowl was full of food (wet) in the kitchen, and he had nibbled at it back and forth during the evening.
I then stood on the bowl whilst not paying attention, chucking all of his food onto our tiled kitchen floor. He then proceeded to eat the food like it was his last meal, straight from the floor.
I experimented with different types of bowls last night, plastic, ceramic, high sided, low sided etc. without much difference.
Chuck the food on the floor, and its gone in a flash. Obviously, this is not an option going forward, and he will just have to get used to using a bowl.
He is also funny with his biscuits. He gets a mouth full, carries them somewhere suitable, and lays down to eat them.

Wondered if any of you had experienced any similar quirks?

Soldato
He eats it when it’s on the floor because he knows if he doesn’t it’s gonna be cleaned up.

When my staff was a pup he refused to walk until I changed from a metal chain lead to a rope one.

Permabanned

Chester (Cockapoo) is now 14 weeks old, and generally doing well. Toilet training has gone really, really well.
He is however, a bit hit and miss with food. He will eat, but not EAT if you know what I mean.
Monday night however, I made a discovery. His bowl was full of food (wet) in the kitchen, and he had nibbled at it back and forth during the evening.
I then stood on the bowl whilst not paying attention, chucking all of his food onto our tiled kitchen floor. He then proceeded to eat the food like it was his last meal, straight from the floor.
I experimented with different types of bowls last night, plastic, ceramic, high sided, low sided etc. without much difference.
Chuck the food on the floor, and its gone in a flash. Obviously, this is not an option going forward, and he will just have to get used to using a bowl.
He is also funny with his biscuits. He gets a mouth full, carries them somewhere suitable, and lays down to eat them.

It's quite common, when he's actually really hungry he'll eat out of the toilet, so no worries, as someone said it's possibly because when it's on the floor he thinks it's on the move and going to be taken away. Try leaving the bowl for 15 minutes then taking it up, and put it back the next day, after a day or two hunger will make him realise it's best not to muck about and get on with eating the stuff, whatever it's presented in, or it's gone for a fair while ;) Hunger presides over silly traits in the end. I would knock it on the head early, as things like that become a PITA. Good luck with him.

bJN

bJN

Soldato

Some dogs just have their own quirks with things like that. Persevere with the bowl and eventually he'll get used to it. Are you just wet food, or kibble too? Can always make them "earn" food like kibble with snuffle matts, hiding it up and making them find etc. Sounds silly but gives their brains a good bit of mental stimulation to help tire them out!

*Edit*

Our Marvin had two firsts last night on his evening walk. The first was an encounter with a (dead) mouse that, thanks to the inattentiveness of the wife, he managed to wolf down whole before I could get a hold of him and it. He seemed very chuffed with himself after that and undoubtedly we'll now have to check that same bush for every walk until the end of time in case the magic mouse bush has more goodies...

And then towards the end of the walk the poor little guy got stung by a wasp/bee. He made a horrible little whimper, and combined with the above event 10 minutes prior, the wife thought he was having a seizure because the mouse was poisoned. Long story short he was fine; bit of localized swelling for an hour and then fine. A little bit of mouse fur made an appearance this morning but nothing since so must still be working its way through! :rolleyes:

Associate
Some dogs just have their own quirks with things like that. Persevere with the bowl and eventually he'll get used to it. Are you just wet food, or kibble too? Can always make them "earn" food like kibble with snuffle matts, hiding it up and making them find etc. Sounds silly but gives their brains a good bit of mental stimulation to help tire them out!
We are wet food (Butchers) and a biscuit type dry food. We have a "trainer" type device that he has to slide doors to acquire food, and he has no issues with that, but its only for dry food really.
Obviously just a quirk. As said above, maybe he`s just not keen on the wet food, but eats it if he thinks he`s going to lose it !! :D

He has no problem eating snails. Removing them from his mouth is not pleasant :cry:

ofGi6q8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
This is how Barkley decided to sleep last night...

5LpvrF0.jpg

Obviously given he's a Lab there's no issue with eating, the only thing that's become a total habit is now anytime he eats he immediately goes and finds his "special" toy after than and basically humps it repeatedly until he passes out and sleeps it off. But who am I to stop him having fun?

He's 9.5 months now and I'm beginning to think we've entirely screwed up lead training.

He's lovely, too friendly if anything but jesus christ when he decides he's going in a particular direction it's all I can do to stop him and my other half who really doesn't weigh much more than him at all stands next to no chance.

Sometimes he'll walk alongside me and be fine, other walks he's a nightmare and it's like I have a 30kg husky.

I keep holding out hope that age will slow him down and we're still doing the stop, turn, repeat thing although it's not always entirely practical as I also want him to get a walk.

Still, love him to bits :)

Soldato
This is what we are going to try next, as we currently leave it down.
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Another vote for remove it.

We were warned that Labs are bad for guarding so we made a point of taking it up midway through him eating it a few times so he knew we were in charge and that he needed to get on with it, worked a charm.

Associate
A wet Hazel :) No point in putting a coat on her she makes a bee line for any water anyway, puddles, ponds, lakes, streams - doesn't seem to matter so long as she can get wet 'n muddy. She'll do that wearing a coat too.

As for eating habits... both my cockapoos are on raw diet with some kibble as a side and never fail to wolf the lot - or at least the meaty bits disappear and any remaining dry kibble is consumed at leisure throughout the day. They only get fed one main meal a day, in the evening, and meal time I vary between about 6-9pm so they don't pester to be fed at a specific time. Works well and they'll happily wait until the food is laid out (but they do get excited when they see me preparing it).

Back
Top Bottom