• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia recognises 10gb isn't enough - RTX3080 gets a VRAM upgrade

Caporegime
Nvidia has done it before, gtx1060 for example

I don't think that is correct in regards to the 1060. It was always going to have 2 cards and the latter was always going to have more ram. I believe this 3080 super is just a response to the market and was never originally intended. They are trying to squeeze consumers.

Nvidia normally has 2 cards in every tier and they sometimes also do a revision.

Example

1050 and 1050 ti second has more ram
1060 3gb and 1060 6gb should have been called 1060 ti
1070 and 1070 ti
1080 and 1080ti the second has more ram

They also released for example a 2070 then a 2070 super later on. This is normal.

1600 series originally had

1650, 1650ti, 1660 and 1660ti.

They later released 1650 super and 1660 super.

The 1060 6GB was always intended just delayed. It's nothing like supers which have tended to be revisions.

Caporegime
I doubt you'll see many, if any current 3080 owners rushing out to "upgrade" for an extra 2GB vram (more so if not playing at 4k and/or uses dlss/fsr when possible), heck, even if 16+GB was offered, I doubt you'll see any current owner "upgrading" given that there is only one game (amd sponsored) having issues with vram/textures/stuttering, which is happening on the majority of nvidia cards too and said game could possibly be fixed/improved with a patch or 2. Only reason to "upgrade" would be if they could do it and not lose any money.

Saying all that, if true, I wouldn't be surprised if future nvidia sponsored games suddenly require more vram i.e. dying light 2

Caporegime
image.png

Caporegime
10GB/12GB is absolutely fine for 4K unless you are including Far Cry 6 , are there any other games ? I am playing on a 3090 and over the last year with all the games i have played at 4K ultra settings i have never seen actual Vram used go over 10GB , most will allocate around 10GB but only use 8 to 9 GB while playing. Going forward it may cause some issues but as of now there are very very few games that actually require over 10GB at 4K settings from my own experience.
Yes, just two games I know of so far in Godfall and Far Cry 6 that can use up to and beyond 12GB when properly tested.

Do you think video memory usage requirements will go up or down? Will there by more games going forward with 4K Texture packs or less? We shall see.

That's my use case and opinion. Others will have a different use case/opinion (which is fine) and don't mind compromising on settings to bring down usage requirements.

From looking at the Far Cry 6 thread though, it appears quite a few people would like to use the 4K Textures and are not able to as they don't meet the minimum requirements, so if that is the case then 10/12GB is not enough. If you don't play Far Cry 6, then it is enough for now. It really comes down to individual preferences.

But as I said in my original post, if you don't mind turning down a setting or two in any games that come with higher video memory requirements then yes 10-12GB is fine.

Associate
I don't think that is correct in regards to the 1060. It was always going to have 2 cards and the latter was always going to have more ram. I believe this 3080 super is just a response to the market and was never originally intended. They are trying to squeeze consumers.

It's so they can raise the RRP and force the LHR cards across the board.

Smart move on their side, not good for consumers though.

Permabanned
12 gb 2060 tho will be most useless card

2060 is capable of ray tracing at 1080p with dlss quality (720p input). at those resolutions, 6 gigs is enough for freaking Cyberpunk. im not kidding. its even plenty for exodus enhanced and doom eternal. source: my friend with his moderate setup. he freaking plays these games at good acceptable graphics and framerates and ray tracing. 6 gigs is enough there, and rt capability of 2060 only allows it when u use it at 1080p and dlss quality. its a good compromise.

but then 12 gb would challenge the 2060 to push 1440p and such. welp, a big no no. perf. will break down. maybe if u go dlss perf at 1440p, but then again, 6 gb would be enouh for that as well

weird choices here, nvidia now plays a different game, they're toying with us lmao lmao

Associate
Yes, just two games I know of so far in Godfall and Far Cry 6 that can use up to and beyond 12GB when properly tested.

Do you think video memory usage requirements will go up or down? Will there by more games going forward with 4K Texture packs or less? We shall see.

That's my use case and opinion. Others will have a different use case/opinion (which is fine) and don't mind compromising on settings to bring down usage requirements.

From looking at the Far Cry 6 thread though, it appears quite a few people would like to use the 4K Textures and are not able to as they don't meet the minimum requirements, so if that is the case then 10/12GB is not enough. If you don't play Far Cry 6, then it is enough for now. It really comes down to individual preferences.

But as I said in my original post, if you don't mind turning down a setting or two in any games that come with higher video memory requirements then yes 10-12GB is fine.

Both being AMD sponsored games so not like every game will be like them and require such high vram usage.... but 99.5% of games will be fine maxed out at 4K ultra settings with 10GB vram from the games that are currently out now . Going forward it certainly may start to be an issue but then again it may not , i suppose it will depend on which company sponsors the game ;) . I've probably played around 40 games over the last year and not 1 of them has required over 10GB at 4K Ultra settings which is why i say as of today its not an issue unless of course you want to play Far Cry 6 ( which i don't personally as not my cup of tea ):cry:

If the Vram usage is so high on fry cry at 4K then dread to think what its like at 8K :eek:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
If the Vram usage is so high on fry cry at 4K then dread to think what its like at 8K :eek:

About 18Gb VRAM and a slideshow when I tried it for 30 seconds on my 3090FE.

We’re not there yet! :D

If this new 3080 is indeed a Super card then I can at least understand it as they’ve had previous Super cards. When I read it to me it was worded as a direct replacement for the 3080FE, not a Super.

However, I may have misread it.

Permabanned

If this new 3080 is indeed a Super card then I can at least understand it as they’ve had previous Super cards. When I read it to me it was worded as a direct replacement for the 3080FE, not a Super.

trick is to get to 8k and then back to 4k with fsr/dlss and stuff

Associate

Doesn’t the Super replace the FE though?

Associate

LOL ridiculous amount then , Yeah 8K hits these cards very hard BUT on certain games doesn't actually do to bad tbh ...Dark souls 3 i had running around 50-55fps at 8k with everything maxed and also Alien isolation was running at 55-70fps 8k everything max. I think Tomb Raider games were around 30FPS . Vram usage on them was all over 10GB but cant remember seeing over 18GB actually used .

We are a few generations away from a solid 8K experience yet , i reckon around 5000 series should be good. When that time comes i will probably render the games at 8K and SS down to 4k as provides a nice improvement.

Tbh its no Surprise Nvidia are releasing new skus/refresh as they done it last gen so was pretty much expected they would do it this gen imo , will be very interesting if this means EOL for the std 3080 etc considering so many people are still waiting for that card from last year .

Back
Top Bottom