Sky glass

Associate
I think Sky's long term goal is get rid of satellite dishes altogether and no longer need engineer installation. Sky Q would be phased out and not be an option.

There already there with the internet and phone if you have BT or Open Reach landline at your property.

Definitely their long term goal but that’s a long way off, lots of people can’t get good enough Broadband to stream TV. I think their next move will be releasing Sky Glass as a standalone product to use with ur own tv.

Soldato
Definitely their long term goal but that’s a long way off, lots of people can’t get good enough Broadband to stream TV. I think their next move will be releasing Sky Glass as a standalone product to use with ur own tv.

Be pretty ironic if people started using SpaceX Starlink to get a decent broadband connection to watch Sky TV. :D

V F

V F

Soldato

I see it's on their website now. Though from what I read, they're trying to get FTTP rolled out greatly by 2026. Copper phone lines to be put out of service by 2025.

Soldato
I see it's on their website now. Though from what I read, they're trying to get FTTP rolled out greatly by 2026. Copper phone lines to be put out of service by 2025.

Quite. Copper lines to the distribution cabinets are to be phased out by 2025. Copper lines to households will still be a thing.

Associate
Apparently over 150,000 “sign ups” for interest on the Sky glass link so far.. more than they were expecting be interesting to see how many convert to buyers.

V F

V F

Soldato
Imagine the thought of that, your Sky Glass breaks down, no TV, no Sky until the replacement. Knowing the way Sky are these days, it'll likely be a refurb? As that is how they handle Sky Q equipment and routers.

Associate
That is a good point, I would be ok as I would bring the LG C9 back down but for some would be a real issue!! They weigh near 30kg, bound to be some arriving broken also!

Soldato
Imagine the thought of that, your Sky Glass breaks down, no TV, no Sky until the replacement. Knowing the way Sky are these days, it'll likely be a refurb? As that is how they handle Sky Q equipment and routers.
Isn't that the same issue if any TV breaks?

Soldato
Isn't that the same issue if any TV breaks?

No, because you'd still have your Sky box etc. so could easily connect an alternate TV if you have one, which I am sure lots of folk do, the question would be do you get credited for you lost time waiting for the repair or replacement, or does your monthly bill keep ticking while you have no service at all.

Soldato
No, because you'd still have your Sky box etc. so could easily connect an alternate TV if you have one, which I am sure lots of folk do, the question would be do you get credited for you lost time waiting for the repair or replacement, or does your monthly bill keep ticking while you have no service at all.
Given that you get credited if that happens with Q, I wouldn't see Glass be any different.

V F

V F

Soldato

Yep. If one box breaks down in the house I have several alternatives just like the TVs. I'll always have something to fall back on while something gets fixed/replaced/sent out, or Sky personnel sent out.

It doesn't sound great if you have to rely on one thing leaving you with no path until replacement.

Associate
Yep. If one box breaks down in the house I have several alternatives just like the TVs. I'll always have something to fall back on while something gets fixed/replaced/sent out, or Sky personnel sent out.

It doesn't sound great if you have to rely on one thing leaving you with no path until replacement.

The issue I see with this is how quick sky send a new tv or someone out to fix it. Atleast with a box an engineer could bring one with him to replace yours, can’t see they lugging tv’s round with them though.

Back
Top Bottom