The increasing incompetence of companies

Soldato
Here’s an idea why not flip it on its head? How many people have taken the time to congratulate a company who have provided good service?
When I worked at a call centre, I was told people spend 6 times more/talk to 6 times as many people if they had bad customer service.

Think everyone needs to work in retail, customer service or hospitality for a minimum of 12 months!

Soldato
When I worked at a call centre, I was told people spend 6 times more/talk to 6 times as many people if they had bad customer service.

Think everyone needs to work in retail, customer service or hospitality for a minimum of 12 months!
I'm a sucker I have worked in all 3 and bizarrely loved it, although that is easy to say now I don't in any of those industries :p

Caporegime
It's because most of these large companies are staffed on cheap unskilled labour we let in from the EU.

I can say, without fear or a shadow of a lie that I'd say, at least in Sky in Scotland, 90%+of the workforce were Scottish. The other 10% was a mix but sure there were some from the EU at the time, mostly Polish. The guy I knew his Grandfather stayed after WW2 finished.

Soldato
I've spent 2 weeks on the phone and live chat every day with 3 to try and get a proof of usage document so I can process an insurance claim.

Total utter useless pillocks the lot of them. First 3 operators sent me proof of purchase instead... Then after 8 days someone says the service is down for maintenance. 6 more days and still no one managed to tell me anything.

Has been one of the most painful CS experiences of my life. I have about 6 contracts with them I think. Going to cancel everything that's out contract and won't renew the rest.

In the end I had to send screenshot of all my chat logs showing their incompetence to the insurance and they finally agreed to proceed without

Associate
Amazon recently refunded me for the return of a £126 item that I didn't return or even request a return for, complete incompetence! I did previously cancel a delivery for the same item because the price had dropped, but I had already been refunded for that.

Soldato
OP
Here’s an idea why not flip it on its head? How many people have taken the time to congratulate a company who have provided good service?

Every time (the number of which I can count on 1 hand...).

More importantly, I also reward them in a more tangible way by continuing to give them my business.

My rant isn't so much about individuals at these companies, more that the processes they have to follow don't seem to be set up to handle anything other than "business as usual", anything outside that and it all falls apart. I guess the issue here is that everything is so siloed these days that the CS staff have absolutely no disgression or leeway to deal with an unexpected situation

fez

fez

Caporegime
The reason they can do this is purely because in most cases you don't have any comeback. Your choices are usually to suck it up, use a competitor who is equally bad or worse or pay way more for a marginally better service. Companies are not punished for cheating, lying and basically prioritising profit over everything else so why on earth would they do anything different.

Soldato
shame them on twitter gets goods results , company's like ASUS are nob heads, got to tell them how it is, i noticed clockers staff for the graphics cards car crash launch were just droids so cancelled my order and went somewhere else :)

Soldato
Every time (the number of which I can count on 1 hand...).

More importantly, I also reward them in a more tangible way by continuing to give them my business.

My rant isn't so much about individuals at these companies, more that the processes they have to follow don't seem to be set up to handle anything other than "business as usual", anything outside that and it all falls apart. I guess the issue here is that everything is so siloed these days that the CS staff have absolutely no disgression or leeway to deal with an unexpected situation
Very true. Call centre training can be as little as 2 days! How on Earth are people are supposed to grasp everything in two days? One call centre job I had to turn down as though the training was 10 weeks then 3 weeks in ‘academy’ (you take calls with someone experienced overhears call and steps in if required) as came down with flu the weekend before. Then no more training groups until 5 months later and had other things

Caporegime
It's because most of these large companies are staffed on cheap unskilled labour we let in from the EU.

If the EU is to blame I'd say it's more because UK companies have had a huge surplus of workers to fill positions with, they could afford to treat employees (even Eastern Europeans) poorly and pay peanuts knowing that they can be easily replaced and as a result employees are unhappy and you have high turnovers of staff. If we reach a point post-Brexit where employers are struggling to fill positions due to worker shortages they'll treat employees better and pay more, as result you'll have happier workers and a lower turnover and therefore more experienced staff.

Caporegime
As you get older, you realise that most people are useless, and most companies are run badly, and run by morons. Most likely due to nepotism and the fact that people who talk the talk, rather than walk the walk get jobs high up in companies.

Almost everything i do these days is a complete hassle due to it being done incorrectly.

Caporegime
As you get older, you realise that most people are useless, and most companies are run badly, and run by morons. Most likely due to nepotism and the fact that people who talk the talk, rather than walk the walk get jobs high up in companies.

Almost everything i do these days is a complete hassle due to it being done incorrectly.

Find this to be too true. Anyone who is really good at their job and not one of their friends they try and keep in that role for as long as possible so they get the benefit of taking all the glory for their work. Promising them promotion in future and all they get is a lousy bonus every year which doesn't even make up 10% of what a promotion would. Then as soon as they find a job elsewhere they magic the promotion they have been promising for 2 years out of thin air.

Associate
I'm going to have a proper whinge about British Airways.

We had a couple of flights booked to go to the US in 2020, obviously as a result of the pandemic these flights were cancelled and we took travel vouchers as we knew we'd be travelling again when things opened up. I paid for the tickets for both myself and the Mrs.

This year we decided to do a short break to Vienna because the Mrs loves a Christmas market and I'll do anything for a quiet life.

If you want to book with the travel vouchers you can't do it over the web, you have to phone up.

1 hour on the phone waiting to get through, have all the details that I can possibly think of to hand. 'Can you confirm the last 4 digits and the expiry date of the card you made the original booking with?' - Funnily enough, no I can't, as it was over 2 years ago that I made the original booking and I no longer have that card. "You have failed security, please call back when you have the correct details"

Minor email rant follows, note gets put on my account and I can call back to make the booking.

Call back, another hour on the phone, "the vouchers are non transferable and they're in your name, so you'll have to pay for the other passengers ticket" - despite the fact the original booking was for the two of us, both vouchers are somehow in my name. At this point I've had enough and I can't be bothered to fight so I fork out the £250 to pay for the Mrs flight.

Three weeks later, outbound flight gets cancelled and moved to an outbound flight that is not suitable. Successfully manage to rebook the Mrs onto a more appropriate flight online, when I try and do my booking it keeps erroring and I have to call back again.

45 minutes on the phone last night to get through, they manage to successfully change my outbound flight but then insist they'll have to change the return flight to be a day earlier so I spend the same amount of nights. Didn't have this issue when I did the Mrs flight online, apparently its a 'condition' of their voucher program. I'm not having it and I firmly insist that either they only change the outbound flight or they can find me a manager that will refund me the entire voucher value and the cost of my partners flight aswell. Manager comes on the line, we go around in circles for half hour before they finally relent and do what I asked of them.

Change my hotel reservation for an extra night, leaves me another £270 out of pocket.

Once I'm done with these vouchers I seriously doubt I'll ever fly with British Airways again.

Jesus, the entire voucher thing was a mess tbh, it's no wonder folks did charge back via credit card companies instead of jumping through all those hoops.

Soldato
I've had Oculus support tell me they couldn't help with warranty as I didn't purchase from an authorised retailer - OcUK, even though they feature OcUK as an authorised retailer on their site.

Some good rants that are all to familiar..

Out of interest, I just checked the Oculus website, and oddly, 'find a retailer' for a Rift S has OCUK listed, but 'find a retailer' for a Quest 2 does not show OCUK.. Weird..

Back
Top Bottom