• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, the flagship reinvented

Associate
Who was the 3090 series aimed towards? As a lot of 3D modellers, programmers and so on I've watched including some rich indie game developers don't own a 3090.

It's a nice card to render on - fast, optix and cuda support and plenty of ram. Running out of Vram can cause slow downs and crashes, nice to not have to worry about if you're coming back to a naked elf picture or an error message.

Associate
FE is not hot at all.

have you got one. best cooler on ze market

Give the 3090FE a big case and good airflow and it is a very cool running card. Seeing max temps of 64-68c.

undervolt, locked to 1440p, ultra,144fps and seeing temps of 58c in Cold War zombies.

It is very far away from been a hot card. (VRAM does get warm tho 90c)

Associate
^ doubt it will be that expensive given the minor spec bump over the 3090. Maybe USD $2000. With the new 2GB memory modules it may even be cheaper for Nvidia to make but it would be hard to see any such cost reduction, if there were one, passed onto the consumer in the current climate.

You did see what happened with the RRP for the 3080 and the RRP for the 3080 TI which is like almost double the price - coupled with a world wide chip shortage...

Soldato
Doesn't the 3090 use all of the GA102 chip anyway? What's left to give? AIB's have increased the clock speed and power limit of their own models. So how can a Ti get more from a chip that's not cut down on the vanilla 3090?

Soldato
Doesn't the 3090 use all of the GA102 chip anyway? What's left to give? AIB's have increased the clock speed and power limit of their own models. So how can a Ti get more from a chip that's not cut down on the vanilla 3090?

3090 has 2 SM's disabled, basically 256 cuda cores less than the full GA102, 3080Ti has 2 SM's (4 SM's in total from full GA102) disabled more than the 3090 so basically 512 cuda cores short of the full GA102 chip.

Soldato

No it doesn't, some cores are disabled on the RTX3090. Samsung's 8nm is so bad that Nvidia couldn't afford to make any full size chips

Associate
FE is not hot at all.

Yes, i had one on my system, decent sized case with plenty of airflow, was really hot honestly, would quickly get 100c temperatures on VRAM on some games like quake 2 RT, sold it and swapped for a 3090 suprim X, day and night difference when it comes to temperatures honestly, so no, its far from the best cooler in the market, specially when it comes to VRAM and no way i am fiddling about on a 1400 quid GPU and risk my warranty doing it.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yes, i had one on my system, decent sized case with plenty of airflow, was really hot honestly, would quickly get 100c temperatures on VRAM on some games like quake 2 RT, sold it and swapped for a 3090 suprim X, day and night difference when it comes to temperatures honestly, so no, its far from the best cooler in the market, specially when it comes to VRAM and no way i am fiddling about on a 1400 quid GPU and risk my warranty doing it.

Think you may have had a dud one then. Sure the VRAM on mine gets to 96C occasionally but it takes some doing and that’s with a fair OC on the VRAM too.

Actual GPU averages 65C while OC’d.

Associate
no dud, card was working perfectly, test it for yourself, run quake 2 RTX for couple minutes and you will see it ramping up like crazy very quickly.

Associate
no dud, card was working perfectly, test it for yourself, run quake 2 RTX for couple minutes and you will see it ramping up like crazy very quickly.

Getting the Vram over 100 on a 3090 FE is pretty easy with the right workload, even in a case that sucks in passing cats.
I can get to 68/102 with rtx and dlss at 4k with stock curves and no frame rate limit.
Peaked at 58/103.4 yesterday during a render while sitting at about 2k on the core.
No rtx/dlss it generally sits at high 60s / high 90s at 4k.

Soldato
Who was the 3090 series aimed towards? As a lot of 3D modellers, programmers and so on I've watched including some rich indie game developers don't own a 3090.

Nvidia apparently aimed it at "creators" but most creators that I personally know who do it for a living are on mid range cards.

FE is not hot at all.

I wouldn't say best, Decent but can't top something like a Strix or HoF.

Associate
Rroff is a creator and he's on a 3070.

Here's a thing. If I was a content creator I'd be eating noodles and living in a box. Starving artists and all that. Because I'm not I can afford a reasonable PC and a high end GPU to do content creation as a hobby.

Supply issues of other SKUs aside, the 3090 sits in a strange place. For some workloads it makes sense, especially if you're not running high end software that can leverage the driver level tweaks that make a quadro a good fit. For some compute time is money. Then you have man maths and epeen to consider.

With a 3090 I can basically churn out naked elf images at ultra settings without having to optimise textures or geometry, or to use a gaming analogy, set some stuff that most people wouldn't notice to medium.

In a normal market the 3090 would be a niche product but then I've seen people build rack mount render farms in their bedroom to increase their naked elf per minute render rate. Nvidia built it because they thought people would come.

Associate
Here's a thing. If I was a content creator I'd be eating noodles and living in a box. Starving artists and all that. Because I'm not I can afford a reasonable PC and a high end GPU to do content creation as a hobby.

Supply issues of other SKUs aside, the 3090 sits in a strange place. For some workloads it makes sense, especially if you're not running high end software that can leverage the driver level tweaks that make a quadro a good fit. For some compute time is money. Then you have man maths and epeen to consider.

With a 3090 I can basically churn out naked elf images at ultra settings without having to optimise textures or geometry, or to use a gaming analogy, set some stuff that most people wouldn't notice to medium.

In a normal market the 3090 would be a niche product but then I've seen people build rack mount render farms in their bedroom to increase their naked elf per minute render rate. Nvidia built it because they thought people would come.
The 3090 is only selling because the 3080 is essentially vapourware and people want high end gpus at any cost at the moment. This is one thing all reviews failed to mention. Gamers Nexus trashes the 3090 and 3080 Ti stating it’s 70% more expensive than 3080 for 10% more performance when in reality it’s more like 20% expensive for 20% more performance. Watch once nvidia does their price correction on the 3080 Super 12GB next year at £999, the 3090 and 3080 Ti won’t seem bad values anymore.

Personally I wanted the 3080, yet after months of searching couldn’t land one and I can’t take the stress or the BS of sitting on Discord waiting for drops all day while working so I just bought a scalped 3080 Ti. For me the peace of mind and no stress is worth the premium. In a normal market, yea the 3090 and 3080 Ti wouldn’t be selling as well as they do now.

Back
Top Bottom