• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
OP
£400 for a 6600 (nonXT) mech card. Guess I'll be keeping on "given up" thinking.

AMD and NVIDIA are shooting themselves in the foot with these prices. They are killing the market. People losing interest in new GPU's, is also where I'm at now too. I watch the youtube HUB, etc launch reiews for nothing more than something to do. No interest in the cards. It'll not be long before the PC market dies off due to component prices.

Associate
Anyway, after 3 plus weeks without any stock, I guess today will be some dropping of FE cards.
Germany and Netherlands got 3080. Nvidia site UK slow loading for 3080. Worthy watching.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
unless i have a change in circumstances income wise il be waiting for the next gen stuff now and pray the prices arnt still jacked up to the current levels.

just cant justify paying £1k+ for something that should by now a year down the line be nudging £500 or less on deals.

Associate
£400 for a 6600 (nonXT) mech card. Guess I'll be keeping on "given up" thinking.

AMD and NVIDIA are shooting themselves in the foot with these prices. They are killing the market. People losing interest in new GPU's, is also where I'm at now too. I watch the youtube HUB, etc launch reiews for nothing more than something to do. No interest in the cards. It'll not be long before the PC market dies off due to component prices.

The problem is....they're not. If they're reporting record sales and profits, they are absolutely succeeding, its just not necessarily gamers lining their pockets. They can always ride this out, and if crypto starts to fail (on the assumption that crypto is the only factor, which I'm not sure I believe) they can return to lower prices then, it's not like they were unprofitable before. It's not as if there are other manufacturers coming in (Depending on what intel do, but I can't see them being a well-priced budget product), and even if the gaming market has shrunk considerably, alternative markets have increased to compensate.

Soldato
OP
The problem is....they're not. If they're reporting record sales and profits, they are absolutely succeeding, its just not necessarily gamers lining their pockets. They can always ride this out, and if crypto starts to fail (on the assumption that crypto is the only factor, which I'm not sure I believe) they can return to lower prices then, it's not like they were unprofitable before. It's not as if there are other manufacturers coming in (Depending on what intel do, but I can't see them being a well-priced budget product), and even if the gaming market has shrunk considerably, alternative markets have increased to compensate.

It's harder to bring someone "back into the fold" that has lost interest. You just have to look at, say the HWUB review of the 6600 comments section on YT. There are dozens of "I don't care about this any more, just wanted to support the channel by watching" type comments. Younger people will see PC component prices and just laugh, then go back to their console, never to build a gaming PC again.

Companies may be making record profits but as like all capitalism, it's now all about the short term gains and F the future, tha'ts someone else problem then. We'd do well to take note of Japan and their look at the long game. Nurturing businesses for long term success, as opposed to the vamperic capitalism that's prevelant nowadays. Take as much as you can now and F the future.

Associate
It's harder to bring someone "back into the fold" that has lost interest. You just have to look at, say the HWUB review of the 6600 comments section on YT. There are dozens of "I don't care about this any more, just wanted to support the channel by watching" type comments. Younger people will see PC component prices and just laugh, then go back to their console, never to build a gaming PC again.

Companies may be making record profits but as like all capitalism, it's now all about the short term gains and F the future, tha'ts someone else problem then. We'd do well to take note of Japan and their look at the long game. Nurturing businesses for long term success, as opposed to the vamperic capitalism that's prevelant nowadays. Take as much as you can now and F the future.
I dont think this GPU shortage is anything as 'fatal to PC gaming' as people seem to claim.
Nor do I think people would not return to it later.

I have friends who use to always game on PC. But hadn't be able to afford new PCs years and years ago, switched over to Xbox 360 and then Xbox One.
I recently sorted PCs for 2 of these friends, running GTX960s... not exactly new hardware. They haven't touched the Xbox's since. we play GTA V, Borderlands 2 and various other games regularly.
Sure, they cant play Cyberpunk or the latest and greatest... but they can play thousands of games. And they do!
Have another friend that just picked up a 2nd hand 1060.... also gaming fine.

Im sure in a few years when this all calms down a bit, they will pickup a 2nd hand or cheaper GPU and game on..

This forum and others like it represent a tiny segment of PC gaming. We are the ones that enjoy the hardware as much as the games. And sure, for those that do its frustrating and annoying not being able to upgrade. But I don't think that's representative of "PC gamers" as a whole. Its far less niche then it was. Many people are gaming on pre-builds, 2nd hand PCs or even laptops.

Associate
I want to upgrade from my 290 but not at any obscene price. I hope we get at least one or maybe 2 legacy driver updates as various steam games telling me my drivers are out of date everytime I run a game is getting old. The card still plays any modern game well enough at 1080p and even 1440p and I don't need games trying to force my hand.

Soldato
I want to upgrade from my 290 but not at any obscene price. I hope we get at least one or maybe 2 legacy driver updates as various steam games telling me my drivers are out of date everytime I run a game is getting old. The card still plays any modern game well enough at 1080p and even 1440p and I don't need games trying to force my hand.

21.5.2 will be the final drivers for the R9 and Fury cards :(

Associate
Was going to respond to your earlier post pointing out more or less this: typical Wall Street style. Maximise short-term gain, forget about tomorrow. Problem is, this is what their shareholders want and the rules are that companies have please the short-term wants of their shareholders. Long-term Western capitalism is in big trouble unless the rules are changed.

Soldato
Was going to respond to your earlier post pointing out more or less this: typical Wall Street style. Maximise short-term gain, forget about tomorrow. Problem is, this is what their shareholders want and the rules are that companies have please the short-term wants of their shareholders. Long-term Western capitalism is in big trouble unless the rules are changed.

Is this not how its always worked though. What's really different.

Soldato

Welcome to capitalism, where businesses only care about short term profits. They'd rather make 500% margin today than 100% the next 5 years

Associate
It's harder to bring someone "back into the fold" that has lost interest. You just have to look at, say the HWUB review of the 6600 comments section on YT. There are dozens of "I don't care about this any more, just wanted to support the channel by watching" type comments.

Did you see LTT review of the 6600 ? I was a damn advert, utter trash, every other review I've seen has it sitting just above a 2060 Super. Almost like they're getting a bit o that GPU money for themselves..
cOWGfpd.jpg

Soldato
I bought a 3060ti FE, sold it to a miner, then used the money from that to buy a not so badly scalped (But still too expensive) 3070ti FE with them being LHR.

£380 for the 3060ti, sold it for £850 after fees/postage, bought the 3070ti FE for £740, so all in all, a net spend of £270 for a 3070ti.

I only game and have no interest in mining so this was the best way for me to get a decent gpu at a good price.

Soldato
Check out the drivers put together by NimeZ over at Guru3D. He's providing updated drivers for cards that AMD have dropped. I've been running those on my 7970 and they work great. I used them to play some of the Battlefield 2042 beta, which was otherwise completely locked out for anyone running a pre-Polaris AMD card due to a hard driver version check.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/d...l-gcn-legacy-pack-21-10-2-in-progress.436611/

Soldato
OP
I bought a 3060ti FE, sold it to a miner, then used the money from that to buy a not so badly scalped (But still too expensive) 3070ti FE with them being LHR.

£380 for the 3060ti, sold it for £850 after fees/postage, bought the 3070ti FE for £740, so all in all, a net spend of £270 for a 3070ti.

I only game and have no interest in mining so this was the best way for me to get a decent gpu at a good price.

Good going, well played for managing that :)

Associate
Check out the drivers put together by NimeZ over at Guru3D. He's providing updated drivers for cards that AMD have dropped. I've been running those on my 7970 and they work great. I used them to play some of the Battlefield 2042 beta, which was otherwise completely locked out for anyone running a pre-Polaris AMD card due to a hard driver version check.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/d...l-gcn-legacy-pack-21-10-2-in-progress.436611/

A great find thx. Hopefully make these old cards last a little longer. I feel like these should be advertised more as I didn't realise moded gfx drivers were even still a thing these days. Not since Omega drivers back in the voodoo/ati days.

Back
Top Bottom